Music to Civ by

Lemon Merchant

Not Quite Sonic
Retired Moderator
Almost all of us like to listen to music whilst we play. Some of us listen to the in-game music, some have custom soundtracks. In the hope of finding some new (and hopefully good) music to listen to as we play, I thought it might be nice for us to share twenty "good" songs with each other. They don't need to go with Civ thematically, they just have to be songs that you like, and maybe you like to listen to them as you play. Let's try to stay away from the Top 40, too. Try to make a list of songs that not everyone has already in their music folder. The idea is to get exposed to new music.

I'll start. My twenty (in no particular order) are:

1. Once in a Lifetime - The Talking Heads
2. Pledge Pin - Robert Plant
3. Cry for the Nations - Michael Schenker Group
4. Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull
5. Don't Look Back - Boston
6. Seether - Veruca Salt
7. After Forever - Black Sabbath
8. Can't Find My Way Home - Blind Faith
9. You Know I'm Right - David Gilmour
10. Testosterone Buildup - The Age of Electric
11. Deeper and Deeper - The Fixx
12. Everlong - Foo Fighters
13. The Trick is to Keep Breathing - Garbage
14. Not Quite Sonic - I Mother Earth
15. Lightning Crashes - Live
16. Outshined - Soundgarden
17. Truth, Bitter Truth - Marianne Faithful
18. While you see a Chance - Steve Winwood
19. Sex Type Thing - Stone Temple Pilots
20. White Mice - Sweet

And a couple of bonus tracks I can't leave out...

21. Traveling Riverside Blues - Led Zeppelin
22. Brighton Rock - Queen
23. Na Laetha Geal M'Óige - Enya (OK, OK, I'll get flamed for this last one, but it's a beautiful song... It's pronounced "na latha gell MOW-ge", BTW.)

So, now it's your turn. Drop and give me twenty! :p

Sorry...I'm a radio listener. Or I just let the game tracks play. Very seldom inclined to 'choose my own'.

I quite like listening to dramatic music like Requiem For A Fury. :)

I either use a custom sound track, or listen to the radio during those SP games. However, if I have all my boys over for a LAN game, then the music selection gets quite ecclectic at times, especially when they are arguing on whose turn it is for the next CD. The arguing usually stops when you hear the most evil of threats originating from the baked confectionary section of the house stating "if you boys don't make up your minds RIGHT NOW, no one is getting cookies". For some oddly strange reason, that always seems to work. No idea why :mischief:.

In the hope of finding some new (and hopefully good) music to listen to as we play, I thought it might be nice for us to share twenty "good" songs with each other. :p

Below is my current "Civ" Itunes playlist that I started to put together somewhat recently (since BAT crashes with the in-game music on still :mischief:).
I think there's a conspiracy going on here. :rolleyes:

(I'm also a "radio listener." I'd rather spend my time playing CiV than mucking about in iTunes putting together a playlist for CiV. And then remember to fire up iTunes before firing up CiV. :crazyeye: )

Aren't you one of the major players behind BAT?

I usually just listen to the Civ soundtrack until I get to the modern era. There are some tracks for that era that I like, but several that I don't, so I add a few of my own. Unlike many other players, however, I don't like playing popular music in the background--I find it too distracting. Instead, I prefer tracks in the same vein as the provided soundtrack--mostly instrumental, mostly long, mostly jazz (which I consider the foremost musical form of the modern era):
  • As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls - Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays
  • Toh-Sui - DJ Krush & Toshinori Kondo
  • A Brass Band in African Chimes - Simple Minds
  • Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet
  • An American in Paris - George Gershwin
  • Rhapsody in Blue - George Gershwin
  • Moonlight Serenade - Glenn Miller (I love it when it plays in the midst of modern warfare...)
  • So What - Miles Davis
  • Follow Me - Pat Metheny Group
  • Django - The Modern Jazz Quartet

I went through Lemon's list. A few excellent choices, but overall noisy.

The leader diplomacy music is all. I play better without music.

And to add something to the discussion. This song is civ related.

Spoiler :

Aren't you one of the major players behind BAT?

I am, but how does that make a conspiracy? Sorry if I'm dense, but I just don't get your point.

If you have to explain a joke, it means it's not funny. I guess that means my joke wasn't that funny.

You started a thread about using other music while fibbing, and lymond complained that BAT (for which you're responsible) crashed if one turns on the default music. So I was accusing you of driving people to this thread.

If you have to explain a joke, it means it's not funny. I guess that means my joke wasn't that funny.

You started a thread about using other music while fibbing, and lymond complained that BAT (for which you're responsible) crashed if one turns on the default music. So I was accusing you of driving people to this thread.

Ah! Well actually, that is funny.

(Now that I understand it. Sorry I'm so daft. :lol: )

Here, I lend you :

Click & drag. Toggle the repeat off. That should be enough for one Civving session.
Raise the volume if you will, as I don't usually listen very loud.

Wish you the best :)

Ah! Well actually, that is funny.

(Now that I understand it. Sorry I'm so daft. :lol: )
Apology accepted. We all get daft sometimes.

And someone here appreciates my humor. :cool:

You saw it as Lemon driving people to this thread, I saw it as her trying to convince people to turn off the in-game music, and therefore be unaware of the potential crash. Not that I was aware that it does crash.

I quite like the "Civ sound" so generally I don't listen to other music. I would enjoy it if researching a tech triggered a song though. If Combustion was accompanied by Car Wheels on a Gravel Road by Lucinda Williams. Writing by I Will Write My Book by Joe Henry, and Music by Rave On from M. Ward.

Instead of looking for unknown/new music (75% or higher is simply crap or it isn't my taste) I look for a different version of my favourites.
It could be a longer/newer/live version, a remix or even a performance by a different artist.

"Whiskey in the jar" is a good example.

And the Deftones is a negative example of a song I picked up at the movie Ferris Bueller's day off. Even the Smith's version is much better.

Top Bottom