"Mod of the Week" on Facebook and Twitter

Leoreth

Blue Period
The Civfanatics staff is currently looking into ways to increase our presence in social media, particularly on Facebook on Twitter. Our first project of this sort is to feature a "Mod of the Week". We think this is a good way to show what CFC has to offer on the whole and to give specific mods more exposure.

If you want your mod to be featured, you have to provide a summary of its content (in no more than 200 words), setting, features, goal and the like. Think of it as a blurb on the backside of a book cover or DVD case and include everything that would get a player interested in playing it. Of course the mod creator doesn't have to write the post himself, but his approval is required. The author must supply links to the mod's discussion thread and download location.

The general idea is to cycle through mods from the different games of the Civ series with emphasis on Civ5, which means that we would feature a Civ4 mod every four weeks. But that can change depending on the number of submissions.

I've been asked to moderate the process for the Civ4 community and do quality control for the submitted texts. Other than that, we'd like to keep the process as open as possible. That means the community can vote on which mods to feature. And of course it means we're open to further ideas and suggestions.

You can submit your texts here, or just discuss this idea.

As someone who worked extensively balancing gamespeed progression in C2C and realizes how much of a pain in the rear that can be, I'd like to nominate Platyping's Time Keeper. It isn't something the player might ever see, but it would have saved me several hours if I had had this when designing C2C gamespeeds.

Hello, I proposed my mod for the dame Civilization IV : Colonization.
Rob (R8XFT) told me to write it here even if it is not a Civilization IV mod.
My Mod description :
Spoiler :
DoaNE (Dawn of a New Era) is a mod for the game "Civilization IV / Colonization" (2008) which aims to significantly improve the original game that was a pale copy of the 1994 release.

Always inspired by the historical line of American colonization, we are implementing our changes gradually, to make this game a reference in the field.

All aspects are reviewed, modified or enriched to radically transform the game but without betraying the spirit of conquest and colonization wanted and liked by the players, while providing a comfort of game to make it enjoyable and flexible in multi-players mode.

New versions of DoaNE come out regularly and always give the desire to rediscover the game

The download link here

And the Youtube link :

Link to video.

Thank you in advance.

Dawn of a New Era has just been posted as Mod of the Week IV.

The next Civ4 Mod of the Week will likely be in four weeks time, though early submissions would be appreciated. :)

I will nominate Legends of Revolution to be the Mod of the Week. Unfortunately phungus420 has not been on CFC since 2012. :(

If we can still use it, I'll write up the blurb for the mod.

It's the only mod I still play, besides RFC and my unfinished mod.

If the mod author is active, their blessing would be appreciated. But given that phungus is not, we won't worry about that - the mod is still available, after all!

"Mod of the week" is a very good idea!

I'd like to propose Pie's Ancient Europe, which has migrated in a new subforum under the name of Ancient Europe just recently. Since a major update (PAE V) was released only a few weeks ago, it would be a good moment for some publicity.

You could use this intro text or parts of it (or an entirely new one):

Spoiler :
Games like Total War Rome II or Ryse Son of Rome for the Xbox seem to have brought antiquity into gaming more stunningly and realistically than ever. But once you're fed up with all the visual gorgeousness, what's left of long-term enjoyment and true immersion into the ancient world? Not much. Nothing against high resolution massacre and panoramic real-time battles, but depth, "soul" and historical feeling are things, which many players rather look for in turn-based strategy games.

However: founding cities, governing empires, conquering the world - we all know that. What should be expected new in a turn-based strategy game set in antiquity? Pie's Ancient Europe got the answer, a user-made, free modification for Civilization IV. Some commercial developers may just dream about this degree of atmosphere, playability and amount of innovative features. Here are just a few examples of the things you can do in PAE:

Spread food resources such as dates, olives, grain and wine strategically - starting with only one single resource, you found on your territory or that you traded from another player - and thus re-enact the agricultural development of ancient empires.

Promote your units in a new way: While they autopromote according to the terrain, in which they gained combat experience in, and automatically grade up according to their level of experience, you're still able to develop them the way you like. You may settle your battle-hardened veterans in provinces and reactivate them when needed. You might also let them rise up to legendary status and eventually become a hero, for example by killing an enemy unit, that already has that hero status.

Do not only fight barbarians and other civilizations but also the inner dangers of your empire: faithless generals, province governors going berserk, religious tensions, mutinying troops, rebellious slaves, renegading vassals, suddenly appearing mercenary armies some unknown enemy has sicked on you. Will the leader of those mercenaries reveal under torture which of your opponents is responsible for this band of mercenaries in your territory? Then pay him back by hiring your own mercenary army on his territory to destabilize him from within. But maybe the Gods themselves will punish him with a devastating natural disaster: witness tsunamis, meteorits, volcanos, locust and plague wreaking havoc on his empire - or yours.

I'd like to feature that mod, but the text doesn't really say what the mod actually is, and doesn't contain any of the relevant links. :)

The next chance for a Civ4 mod to be featured will be next week, so please make submissions!

I'd like to feature that mod, but the text doesn't really say what the mod actually is, and doesn't contain any of the relevant links. :)

The next chance for a Civ4 mod to be featured will be next week, so please make submissions!

Oh, I forgot to write that for you. I will write it up based on the mod's description and edit it into this post.

EDIT: Here you go. Based very heavily on the description on the download page.
Thread
Download
Spoiler :
Legends of Revolution (LoR) is a modification of Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword. LoR is designed to play like an official expansion pack. This modpack includes many common sense and popular mod components which greatly expand gameplay, such as the BUG User Interface, BtS Better AI, Revolutions, and Expanded City and Unit Ethnic Art. Further all of the models have been set to BtS-appropriate sizes, so that the modpack plays smoothly. The added concepts and art make this modpack feel like the same step as the expansion from Vanilla Civ4 to BtS; If you enjoyed the BtS expansion pack, give LoR a try.

Legends of Revolution has been built to function like official content. All added art is high quality, as well as adherent to performance standards. Also all content, such as new leaders come with full diplomacy text and music, and new units have their own unique buttons. Much attention to detail, stability, and performance were primary considerations when producing this mod. As such gameplay will be smooth and all added concepts are fully optional and may be toggled to your preference so that you can play the game you enjoy how you like it.

I hope that fits now for PAE:

Subforum

Spoiler :
Pie's Ancient Europe is a CIV 4 total conversion in Ancient Europe, North Africa and Middle East. It starts at 4000 BC and ends about 500 AD. Rise 33 famous civilizations like Sparta, the Hittites, Assyria, Egypt, Carthage, the Britons, Rome,... till the late antiquity. Play scenarios as Alexander the Great against the Indians, Leonidas against Xerxes, cross the Limes against Rome or play a random map and stand the test of time with all the historical and unique possibilites a great civilization had.

But you do not only fight barbarians and other civilizations but also the inner dangers of your empire: faithless generals, province governors going berserk, religious tensions, mutinying troops, rebellious slaves, vassals that stab you in the back, suddenly appearing mercenary armies an angry neighbour has sicked on you. Will the leader of those mercenaries reveal his principal under torture? Then pay him back by hiring your own mercenary army on his territory to destabilize him from within. But maybe the Gods themselves will punish him with a devastating natural disaster: deluges, meteorits, volcanos, earthquakes, locust and plague wreaking havoc on his empire - or yours.

I really see forward and hope that PAE is worth it ;)
and more: brings some interested CIV IV players to this forum!

Okay, thanks for those summaries! PAE is this week's Mod of the Week, and LoR will be in either two, three or four weeks (depending on submissions for Civ3 & Civ5).

@PatriotNorwood:
Thanks for nominating our mod. :)

Here is the short description:
Spoiler :

Religion and Revolution is a huge mod for "Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization" developed by an international team of passionate modders.
It has been developed over years. We created many features of our own but also adapted many interesting features of the rest of the modding community.
In fact, the original idea was to try bringing together the best work of the complete community in one single gigantic mod.

Today it is still the largest overhaul mod that exist for Civilization IV: Colonization and we still publish new releases regularly.
A lot of attention has been paid to all areas of modding. Coding, graphics, sounds, music, texts, translations and all other parts were always developed with quality in mind.
We were trying to ensure stability, performance, authenticity and good gameplay in each single release.

We do hope that the community likes what we did and enjoys playing our mod.

In our forum, you can thoroughly inform yourself about our project or join our discussions.
A good overview (including a download link) can be found in our thread [Religion and Revolution]: Welcome ! (Read first please.).

And here a picture as a first impression.
Spoiler :

Okay, so LoR is the Mod of the Week for this week, and the next Civ4 Mod of the Week will likely be in 2 weeks, or more if there is a Civ3 submission.

Okay, so LoR is the Mod of the Week for this week, and the next Civ4 Mod of the Week will likely be in 2 weeks, or more if there is a Civ3 submission.

Great, can't wait to see people playing it! :)

There are so many great mods, but if I have to choose one that would be Religion & Revolution.

Thanks. :)

We are always happy and proud to get positive feedback and to see that we have many people that keep playing our mod.
But that our mod is even getting nominations and awards in the different modding communities is just awesome.

Okay, Religion and Revolution was this week's Mod of the Week. The next Civ4 entry will likely be in two weeks.

Any further nominations and write-ups?

Top Bottom