PolyCast Episode 200: "Looking Forward to More" Featuring Firaxis Games

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Shining on. The landmark two hundredth episode of PolyCast, "Looking Forward to More", has arrived. Featuring regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn", twenty-four others including four representatives from Civilization developer Firaxis Games join in on the celebration including some exclusive Civilization: Beyond Earth detail and background reveal. Clocking in at 111m27s in length, it carries the third longest runtime in the show's history to date. The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m07s | Introductions
Setting and taking the stage where the four regular co-hosts are joined by Civilization IV modder turned game designer Derek "Kael" Paxton and two former regular co-hosts, Kelly "KMadeleine"/"KMadCandy" and original panelist Imran "Imran Siddiqui" Siddiqui.
- 08m28s | Q&A: Firaxis Games
From Civilization: Beyond Earth developer Firaxis Games is Director of Gameplay Development Barry Caudill, Senior Producer Dennis Shirk, Principal Programmer Ed Beach and Community Associate Kevin Schultz to discuss the up-and-coming title as well as CivV's status and the place of community interaction in their development.
- 33m21s | Cut! Minisodes
Honouring the "Cut!" side series from the show's first season, a compilation of cut snippets from each episode produced, with six minisodes combining select moments from Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
- 43m28s | Past Guests (Part 1 of 3)
The first roll-call of past guest co-hosts drop in for well wishes including past regular co-host Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney.
- 51m20s | Past Guests (Part 2 of 3)
The second roll-call of past guest co-hosts drop in for well wishes.
- 62m48s | TurnCast
Highlighting the show's Civilization multiplay spin-off series TurnCast with previously unreleased clips: its fourth season continues this summer.
- 63m46s | Memory Lane
Three time-guest co-host, gaming journalist and podcaster Jonah Falcon shares his memories of and with the show to present day... with never-before-heard clips from several past episode recordings in support of the recollections.
- 66m51s | ModCast
Announcing the show's Civilization modding spin-off series ModCast with clips from its fiftieth episode that begins its sixth season this summer.
- 67m38s | Prize Giveaway
A record of each winner of one of five Steam codes for Civilization V: Complete, a combined $250US value courtesy developer Firaxis Games.
- 74m00s | Advisor Panel
The Civilization V Advisor Panel as you have never heard them before in the mini-series "In This Lesson", compiled and produced by lead co-host Daniel "DanQ" Quick -- it is ths sequel to "I Disagree, Sire" included on Episode 100.
- 82m36s | Past Guests (Part 3 of 3)
The third roll-call of past guest co-hosts drop in for well wishes.
- 89m57s | Archived Segment
Recorded for Episode 60, the implications of a "One More Turn" flowchart for Civilization games are considered.
- 92m54s | Declassified Bloopers
An assortment of bloopers from episode recordings of the series to date that were previously deemed 'too hot' to be released publicly.
- 95m30s | One More Turn
Cross-promoting the show's cousin drama/comedy One More Turn currently in its first season.
- 100m17s | CivAnon Medley
A medley of clips from fan written, acted and produced in the spirit of the fictional "Civilization Anonymous" support group.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Yay, you guys used my question. Unfortunately, Firaxis answered it the way I expected they would :(

Yay, you guys used my question.
:)

Unfortunately, Firaxis answered it the way I expected they would :(
To paraphrase what MadDjinn said later in the recording to Jake (adwcta), no Firaxis representative said that there wasn't going to be any more updates or releases otherwise to Civilization... so that's just as equally as plausible an outcome as there being none to come: a glass when half-empty is also half-full.

In any event, hope you enjoyed the show overall!

Enjoyed the episode for sure....kind of skipped the end but the highlights from earlier seasons were cool and of course having Firaxis was awesome.

Thanks guys and gals.

The part about multi-chain quests really piqued my interests. That sounds like it could add a really fun and deep element to the game. I have always felt like the quest system in previous civ titles were a little one dimensional. Hopefully this addition to the franchise turns it into a staple of the civ series.

To paraphrase what MadDjinn said later in the recording to Jake (adwcta), no Firaxis representative said that there wasn't going to be any more updates or releases otherwise to Civilization... so that's just as equally as plausible an outcome as there being none to come: a glass when half-empty is also half-full.

And I specifically didn't ask, "Will there be anymore DLC/Patches/Expansions for Civ 5?" so they couldn't reply with a vague, "Maybe." But they still found a way to get around it without saying yes or no. :(

In any event, hope you enjoyed the show overall!

I always enjoy the show :) It was fun to listen to Makahlua (My Kahlua) doing other female voices to make it seem like she isn't the only girl on the internet :mischief:

When Ed Beach was signing off, he said something along the lines of "although Civ5 Complete has been released, we still spend a lot of time looking at what's going on on the forums". He seemed to be suggesting that they still look at the forums in relation to Civ5, not just BE.

Enjoyed the episode for sure.... [..]

Thanks guys and gals.
:)

kind of skipped the end
Out of curiosity, whereabouts? The bloopers from the recording of this episode or before that?

but the highlights from earlier seasons were cool
:D

and of course having Firaxis was awesome.
Agreed!

The part about multi-chain quests really piqued my interests. That sounds like it could add a really fun and deep element to the game. I have always felt like the quest system in previous civ titles were a little one dimensional. Hopefully this addition to the franchise turns it into a staple of the civ series.
Hopefully more will be revealed about BE's Quest system before its release. Hope you enjoyed the listen!

I always enjoy the show :)
:cool:

It was fun to listen to Makahlua (My Kahlua) doing other female voices to make it seem like she isn't the only girl on the internet :mischief:
:goodjob:

When Ed Beach was signing off, he said something along the lines of "although Civ5 Complete has been released, we still spend a lot of time looking at what's going on on the forums". He seemed to be suggesting that they still look at the forums in relation to Civ5, not just BE.
A reasoned analysis.

You asked when?

I thought it was about over after you said goodbye to a bunch of guests so left the room and started playing some Project Zomboid but 20 minutes later I could still hear the podcast going on the laptop in the other room. I may go back and listen to the end.

You asked when?

I thought it was about over after you said goodbye to a bunch of guests so left the room and started playing some Project Zomboid but 20 minutes later I could still hear the podcast going on the laptop in the other room.[/i]
:lol:

I may go back and listen to the end.
I hope you choose to do so. :)

Top Bottom