Factions You'd Like to See

tecumseh23

Chieftain
So in a perfect world, what factions and leaders would you want in an expansion, mod, or added at the last second to the base game? ;)

Here's mine:

Faction: The Eighth Fire
Leader: Devon Crow

short description: A union of rebels, revolutionaries, and misplaced minorities that have taken over parts of North America following the chaos of the Great Mistake. Led by a young native american actor-turned-terrorist. Stole their spaceship from the ARC.

long version: Devon Crow is insane. At least, that's what every other faction leader will tell you, and Crow helps the image along whenever he can. "The biggest problem I've ever faced," he said on his sole international TV interview, "was the day I had to decide whether to be Alexander, Hitler, or Jesus. I chose all three." Crow's like a Robin Hood, if Robin Hood had tanks. An outlaw, a conquer, and a revolutionary. To to the people he leads, he's nothing short of a messiah. He's the ultimate wildcard of leaders.

In his younger years Crow was an actor, a movie star, world famous and filthy rich at the age of 18. The next year he turned terrorist, using his fortune to build his own rebel army out of the world's dissatisfied minorities: native americans, migrant workers, muslim americans, christian arabs; people everywhere who didn't fit into the new world flocked to the charismatic ex-actor, and to his promise of a world built just for them. Through guerrilla wars and terrorism Crow and his followers have built their own little nation--and now have pulled off the ultimate heist, a spaceship. It seems they might get their own world after all...

Their name, the Eighth Fire, refers to a prophecy of the Anishinabwe (a group of native american tribes): according to the prophecy, there are 8 eras of the world (the fires), with the final one being (after a couple ages of hate and evil) an age of joy, peace, and paradise. Crow's followers are people who have been denied their paradise, but are prepared to make their own.

Really like this idea. I like the rebel-type leader profile. Bonuses could be centered on his cult of personality, his affinity for the dispossessed, and his lack of scruples on the battlefield. A guy who refuses to play by the rules could have a lot of fun with the improved covert ops we've been promised!

That sounds fantastic. Although I envisioned a Revolutionary type faction similar to that of what is portrayed in Firefly.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.

First I opened the thread I thought, "meh, sigh*, not this...", then I actually read it and I must say I really liked the idea for such a faction. Not bad, not bad at all. I like the part where they steal the ship from ARC. Fitting.

Antarctic Collective [thanks Krajzen]

Expedition leader, appointed by the Supreme Representative of the Antarticians: Piri Christopher da Gama Cook

Language: English, Mandarin and Portuguese - English is the de facto official language ever since the Great Revolution, that opposed the rebels against the US, China, Brazil and Polystralia, and virtually the only language spoken there by the 23rd century, due to increased immigration from non Mandarin and Portuguese-speaking countries. Portuguese is still spoken at the border with the Portuguese-speaking Chilean and Argentinean Autonomous Republics of Brazil. Descendants of Chinese miners, in remote areas of the former Chinese Antarctica, still speak the language at home.

Home port: Nova Eden

---

I would like a civ that is to 2200 what the United States were to the world during the 19th century. A new beginning, a new model and, in a sense, a new hope for the peoples that were subjugated to aristocracy back in Europe.

I'm thinking that with global warming Antarctica may have become somewhat habitable in some parts of its territory and millions, especially those coming from flooded Europe and Asia (Northwest Europe, Bangladesh, etc.), went to Antarctica, that was at one point mutually controlled by the Great Powers (it's, actually, more or less the case as of 2014) but, with the chaos that the Great Mistake brought, the 3 or 4 great powers that controlled Antarctica (for geopolitical reasons I'm thinking of the US, China, Brazil and Polystralia, just before the apex of the Great Mistake) lost its grip and the people rebelled, looking to rebuild a new society based on a very, very technocratic ideology and where everything is organised and standardized, as it's a civilization built from square one and from the amalgamation of peoples from all over the world. Maximum efficiency and ecological preservation are their goals, and they abhor capitalism, which they consider responsible for the Great Mistake and humanity's farewell to Earth, just as much the American Founding Fathers hated aristocracy.

It could be a new attempt at Communism, with an ecological twist and the creation of a proto-hive mind, only they tried to opt out the thing that makes communism impossible - humanity's inherent greediness. They also have access to means that were before unattainable - they base their government in an electronic direct democracy, effectively allowing every willing citizen to take part in direct rule over their local county - the only elected leader is the Supreme Representative, who only plays the role of the Executive branch, something akin to a Prime Minister: all the citizens, using the same means that make electronic direct democracy possible, directly control both the Judicial and the Legislative branch. They make their own laws (each year a number of citizens is selected to produce said laws, Ancient Greece style, but said laws have to be voted on by the remaining population) and they also apply them the same way.

They're trying to remodel the human being and human society to something entirely new. It would make a great supremacy or harmony civilization.

Dear Tecumseh, while I guess we won't see your faction in BE I can guarantee you that someone will mod this brilliant idea :D

Anarchist faction of desperated people... I would rather make it a bit less terroristic (not sure how do you understand terrorism here but I wouldn't like faction which bombs civilians :( ) but otherwise it is awesome. Oh, and the leader design is pure genius.

Eight Fire
Advantages:
+ military
+ commerce
+ culture
- infrastructure
- production
- diplomacy

iRule - I really like your vision of Antarctica 'true communism' faction.

Antarctic Collective
+ science
+ diplomacy
+ health
- religion
- commerce :p
- military

There should really be a POP CULTURE faction, led by some Justin Beiber type, that serves no point but to aggravate you in the early game. He'll be the new Alexander...

They can really use their imagination with these factions and I hope we are going to see some surprises if they are doing expansions with new factions. Many cultures that are too small to be in the normal Civilization game could make appearance in the form of leader. For example there could be North-European faction with Finnish or half-Finnish leader. What we already have with the 8 revealed leaders is people with diverse backgrounds.

Corporation of the New Covenant - Israel was destroyed in the Great Mistake (only Jerusalen survived), and this Zionist organization believes the Promised Land that God had told was not on Earth, but on another planet... Well, I think this is the best way to show an Israel in a Civ game without so much controversy (They will not take the land of no inhabitant of this new planet...)

Thanks for all the love, guys. And nice ideas from iRule and altayrneto.

Some ideas for Crow's dialogue in the diplomacy screen:

First contact: *bowing and scraping sarcastically* "Welcome, welcome! To where? To Heaven, of course! I suppose you must be some poor lost soul. And me? Well, I suppose I must be God! How else could I be this smart?"

Declaring war: *shrugs* "Hey, somebody has to kill you. I promise to make it quick, painful, and very funny. Maybe I'll hang you upside down on your own flagpole. That'll show ya."

At-war greeting: *grinning fakely* "Oh look, it's the enemy. Hi enemy! Can I get you something? Coffee? Tea? Rocket in the face?"

Declining a cease-fire: *laughs hysterically*

Accepting a cease-fire: "It was getting kinda boring. I'll just tell my soldiers to quit killing your people. *looks into the distance* Hey, you! Soldiers! Quit it! *looks back at you* Anything else?"

When he's defeated: *chuckles thoughtfully* "Funny, isn't it, how a bunch of high-school dropouts and naked savages can make so much trouble for you important, world-shaking types. Go ahead, kill me right now; I've made my point."

Corporation of the New Covenant - Israel was destroyed in the Great Mistake (only Jerusalen survived), and this Zionist organization believes the Promised Land that God had told was not on Earth, but on another planet... Well, I think this is the best way to show an Israel in a Civ game without so much controversy (They will not take the land of no inhabitant of this new planet...)

This is pure genius.

Personally I would like:

- The Crescent Company

During Third World War and Great Mistake the Near East was one of the most damaged areas of the world, along USA, Russia, Europe, China and India (hey, all these areas have lost their national states :p ). Furthermore, the exhaustion of oil devastated economies of this region. The modern expansive Islam was annhilated during the nuclear flames of war, including the most loyal armies and most charismatic prophets... People of the Muslim Civilization started to seek for their new beginning, new hope. And this is how Muslim Renaissance has come, along with Muslim Enlightenment, when this civilization has returned to its true roots - roots of medieval Islam as the centre of science, culture and commerce, roots of ancient Arabian literature and trade.

The Crescent Company, sometimes called 'The Second Caliphate', is the main economic and political powerhouse of Near East. Turkey, Syria, Arabia, Yemen, Persian Gulf, Iraq, Iran, Azerbeijan, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan... Seeking for the new energy source The Crescent Company is the world solar and wind energy superpower. Religion and science, adaptivity, determination, ability to survive in harsh environments - these are trademarks of CC.

+ Science, Energy, Infrastructure, Religion
- Production, Culture, Growth

<wide empire :p >

Leader: young Kurdish Supreme Manager

Solar and wind energy focus makes surprisingly much sense. Oil is going to end and coincidentally Near East has not only perfect spots for solar energy but also wind conditions better than in Europe/India/China/subsaharan Africa.

I was also thinking about faction of Spanish Latin America - The Church of Patria Grande/Patria Grande Association

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patria_Grande

united around common origin, similar culture and Catholic faith

but I couldn't invent anything which would be really different from Kavithan Protectorate :D

Other than Eight Fire, Patria Grande, Crescent Corporation and Antarctic Collective it is hard for me to fit another factions in BE Earth which is apparently divided between 12 superpowers :p

Other than Eight Fire, Patria Grande, Crescent Corporation and Antarctic Collective it is hard for me to fit another factions in BE Earth which is apparently divided between 12 superpowers :p

Greenland still has space. So definitely Greenland. Vikings in space riding robot Walruses? I'm there!

Greenland still has space.

Alright... I can work with this...

The Athena Collective

Home port: New Olympus
Primary Language: English
Expedition Leader: Ngangkali Punari

75 Years before the advent of the advent of the Great Mistake, the top scientific and political minds concluded that if the current pathway that humanity was taking was not diverted, utter catastrophe would occur. The warnings were to fall upon deaf ears as the leaders of the world were not going to heed their advice. Knowing of the forthcoming doom, and with the additional knowledge that both land and food were to become a precious commodity - great minds from all around the world fled to Greenland to set up something of a technocratic alliance founded upon the basis that humanity must endure at all costs.

Under the leadership of charismatic the Ngangkali Punari, a philosopher and political scientist of Aboriginal Australian descent - scientists, historians, artists and academics alike abandoned their respective homelands and fled with their families to the coastal city of Nuuk. It was in this frost writhed port, where the snow blanketed down - The Athena Collective was born. Named after the Greek goddess of knowledge and wisdom - the Collective were to be the beacon of hope for all humanity. Under pressure from the rest of the World, the Danish government handed over the entirety of Greenland to the Collective. Further inland, the settlers established the base of "New Olympus".

Using funding from World Governments under the guise of using it for scientific research for the betterment of humanity, Ngangkali Punari or 'Cloud Father' and his colleagues were actually training their prodigies to use new, highly developed weaponry systems - so as to protect the Collective from outside interests in addition to their groundbreaking research.

For the next 20 years, Scientists scoured the globe with great haste - preserving as much of the natural world that they could find. They built a vast library of DNA and Seeds alongside deep bunkers filled to the brim with all the knowledge of mankind. All in preparation for what was to come - the Great Mistake.

Political tensions were strained the world over... Land was now scarce and food supply was running horrendously low. The Food Banks and Seed Vaults in Svalbard were raided, however the Athena Collective were protected, and the Athena Collective were prosperous.

For in the 40 years leading up to the Great Mistake - they new what was coming where everyone else were blind. They had built something of an empire. Using their vast supplies of food, they traded with the world governments to build immense wealth. This wealth would essentially fund scientific advancement and weapons development, much to the chagrin of other world factions. They began to fear the Athena Collective - especially for what they knew. Knowledge is power, and the Collective built an empire based on just that.

They, as a peoples were essentially unaffected by the Great Mistake, but they saw the destruction that it had caused and left in it's wake. It was only going to get worse than this from here.

It was then that Ngangkali Punari looked to the clouds and said to his people "humanity must endure at all costs".

The Athena Collective knew that it was time. Time to go Beyond Earth...

TL;DR - Well funded, well protected technocracy populated by ex-patriot scientists, artists, historians and technologists working under the motto that "humanity must endure at all costs". They work for the betterment and ultimately - the preservation and legacy of humankind. Based in Greenland - winow renamed "Athenia". Highly defensive and militaristic too, to the point where they are feared for the knowledge they hold.

Interesting concept :D Although I would definitely change the name from Athena Collective to Athena Society. Hey these guys are scientists, not revolutionaries ;)

Huh? Collective =/= Revolutionaries. Not sure that has the same ring to it anyway.

But collective does = communism. Either way it sounds like a great civ, no matter what you call it.

(On an unrelated note, how's that Anishinaabe mod coming? You know, something like The Eight Fires would make a good civ trait for them...) (I'm part Anishinaabe btw, you could probably guess)

I was just going off the definition of Collective from Wikipedia.

Anishinaabe is pretty much ready! We just need 3D models. Aaaand a leaderscreen for Pontiac.

I had an cool idea fore an faction (sorry fore my bad english btw)

the west european allies/New Benelux

home port : new Amsterdam
language : dutch / german
expedition leader : jonathan polder

75 (ore something like that) years after the great mistake the northpole has smelted and most of the netherlands belgium and northen germany are underwater. Most off the dutch/belgium/german people live in south germany austria and switzerland now.

Jonathan Polder is a 22 years old man who lives in south germany. his grandparents origianly lived in rotterdam but had to live in southern germany to escape from the water. Jonathan polder is an engineer that makes machines to make water into land so he could make the places where his familiy lived livable again.

the leaders off switzerland germany and austria see that earth is doomed and are setting up an space expedition fore a new world. they create a team off 5 people a german and a swiss scientist, a great general from austria, a diplomatic leader with belgium origins and jonathan polder.

20 years later the space program is done.
sadly most of the team has died of age ore are to old ore sick to go to the new world. jonathan polder 42 years old now is the only one off the team that is capable to go on this journey and has become the expedition leader.

Jonathan choosed to take the people that have being stripped from their homeland to make a new holland a new germany and a new belgium to live in

now this faction will probably be all about the purity affinity and about terraforming water because this is what jonathan did when he was younger

Top Bottom