Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2 announced!

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2, the sequel to the 2008 game, has been announced by 2K & Firaxis on social media, to be released on July 2nd. The announcement states:
We’re proud to announce that Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution 2 is launching as a premium title on July 2 for iOS devices, including the iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini and iPod Touch.

(Android fans: ‪CivRev2‬ will be coming soon to Android devices.)

Developed exclusively for mobile platforms, Civilization Revolution 2 combines the core elements of the Civilization series with intuitive controls and a friendly user interface, designed specifically for touch-pad devices.

Stay tuned for screenshots and sneak peeks at #CivRev2 this week!

In a press release, 2K noted that:
Civilization Revolution 2 is the first Civilization game to be developed exclusively for mobile platforms, delivering high-impact graphics and new gameplay and controls that capitalize on the mobile technology advancements since the original Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution launched more than five years ago. The game will combine the core tactical elements of the series with intuitive controls and a friendly user interface - designed specifically for mobile gamers on touch-pad devices. Civilization fans will also recognize the 16 historical leaders found in the first game, including Abraham Lincoln, Gandhi and Napoleon, alongside leaders such as Churchill and Kennedy, who are making their appearance in the series for the first time.

The original Civilization Revolution, designed by Firaxis Games in 2008, was a watershed game for console and handheld systems and brought to iPhone in 2009. In 2010, the title was optimized for Apple’s high-definition iPad and has since achieved an average rating of 4/5 stars among iOS users. Staying true to the series, Civilization Revolution 2 will allow players to lead a civilization from the dawn of man to the modern age, and go head-to-head with history’s most intrepid leaders as they wage war, conduct diplomacy, discover new technologies, and build the most powerful empire the world has ever known in a race for ultimate supremacy.

Attachments

• civrev2.jpg
    civrev2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 75,224
I'm actually excited about this, I loved CivRev. Is it heresy 'round here to say I would love to have a PC version as well? Hey, there's not always time for Civ IV/V ya know?

Odd they didn't mention this at E3, I guess they wanted to keep the focus on BE.

Although I'm not a mobile user, I'm going to bet they will focus on "many cool ways I can win the game" rather than a typical civ game which is "how do I optimize my economy and warfare to win".

Here's hoping they keep the "first to discover a tech" bonus, and remove the expensive technology skipping you could do in the previous game.

Blah, what I heard was "Hey, we spent all our time making a game for overpriced Apple products because it's easier to just port it feature by feature to Android so never fear, you'll never have the same up to date version as them"

I hope I'm wrong though, looking to get a Shield in the future anyway.

I'm actually excited about this, I loved CivRev. Is it heresy 'round here to say I would love to have a PC version as well? Hey, there's not always time for Civ IV/V ya know?

Unfortunately, Civ Rev was designed only for consoles and mobile phones,
not for the PC. However, in many of the game dynamics, Civ Rev is similar
to the original two incarnations of Sid Meier's Civilisation. They are
still sold by Firaxis in their Civilisation Chronicles and occasionally
turn up on eBay. The Reddit Civilisation forum also has links to obtain them,
and there also exists "Freeciv", an open-source version of the early Civ
games that supports both Civ I and II rules. You may enjoy them if you
like Civ Rev.

I'm actually a little surprised. This must have been built along side Beyond Earth, or even earlier.
A few things to infer here; I'm only guessing the console games didn't sell as well as expected last time, hence the exclusivity to iPwns. I'd like to know the new things going into this offering, seems like multiple leaders return. Apart from that there's nothing else really to detect conceptually.

Wow, first Beyond Earth and now this? Awesome!! :goodjob:

I can't wait to be able to Civ anywhere on my new G2. I just hope it doesn't pester players to sign in to things like Google+ or Facebook.

A few things to infer here; I'm only guessing the console games didn't sell as well as expected last time, hence the exclusivity to iPwns.

As far as I know, XCOM was sold quite good on consoles (if only it had good support) and if CivRev is built using some cross-platform engine (i.e. Unity) porting would be quite cheap.

I believe the main issues here is controls. Touch controls allow nearly the same quality of UX as mouse, especially for turn-based games, while consoles have significant restrictions.

Blah, what I heard was "Hey, we spent all our time making a game for overpriced Apple products because it's easier to just port it feature by feature to Android so never fear, you'll never have the same up to date version as them"

Android is significantly more difficult to develop and test due to variety of screen resolutions, hardware setups and so on. So even if these versions are developed in parallel, Android comes later. Consider XCOM which was built using cross-platform Unreal Engine and still Android was released later.

Unfortunately, Civ Rev was designed only for consoles and mobile phones,
not for the PC. However, in many of the game dynamics, Civ Rev is similar
to the original two incarnations of Sid Meier's Civilisation. They are
still sold by Firaxis in their Civilisation Chronicles and occasionally
turn up on eBay. The Reddit Civilisation forum also has links to obtain them,
and there also exists "Freeciv", an open-source version of the early Civ
games that supports both Civ I and II rules. You may enjoy them if you
like Civ Rev.

Thanks for the recommendations, they're great! I know 'cause I actually already have (and still play, under VMware) CivNet and Civ II. Thing is, I can crank out a complete session of CivRev in about an hour. This allows me to get the satisfaction of a complete game on weekdays, while my Civ 1/2/3/4/5 sessions tend to get relegated to weekends since I don't like carrying single games over multiple days (I don't play Epic games, sorry!).

So for me, CivRev really does have it's place. It scratches the itch, so to speak.

Regarding FreeCiv, as a long time Linux user I am aware of the project and play it from time to time. It's a really admirable effort, but I must admit I keep coming back to Civ II in my VMware. The advisors? The wonder movies? Less convoluted interface? I don't know but that's where I always end up :)

Apparently, Kotaku has some screenshots. And while it's not for me, I do like that it exists - mobile/tablet gaming has too many stupid games at the moment, seeing "proper games" like CivRev or XCOM existing is a good thing.

I am surprised, though, that they basically went for the Civ4 aesthetic again. While I understand that mobile devices can't handle the graphics of something like Civ5, the art direction could be more like Civ5 (favouring more ornate art deco UI elements, preferring paintings over 3D models, lighter colour palette, bright fog of war).

And, well, hexes. Considering how so many games followed Civ5's lead (Pandora, Warlock, GalCiv3 to just name a few) with hex terrain, it's surprising to see square tiles again.

Apparently, Kotaku has some screenshots. And while it's not for me, I do like that it exists - mobile/tablet gaming has too many stupid games at the moment, seeing "proper games" like CivRev or XCOM existing is a good thing.

Looks like air units don't have bases and just "hover" between turns.

I will buy it, Civ 2 was great and Civ Rev also...

Civ 4 too complicated and Civ 5 too laggy on last turns...

Game center for Civ Rev 2 ?

I'm a bit sad that it won't be on any consoles, but you can't always get what you want. Hopefully it'll be ported for 3DS or Vita in the future.

The biggest improvement they need to make over the first one is with regards to replayability. That game lacked the addictive qualities of a true Civ game, IMO.

I am surprised, though, that they basically went for the Civ4 aesthetic again. While I understand that mobile devices can't handle the graphics of something like Civ5, the art direction could be more like Civ5 (favouring more ornate art deco UI elements, preferring paintings over 3D models, lighter colour palette, bright fog of war).

And, well, hexes. Considering how so many games followed Civ5's lead (Pandora, Warlock, GalCiv3 to just name a few) with hex terrain, it's surprising to see square tiles again.

Frankly I like civ 4 a lot better than civ 5, so I'm pretty ok with a grid.

I got Xcom on my Ipad and I love it, let's see how good this civ version is.

Maybe android relase will work with bluestacks? If so, then you can have rev on pc :)

Top Bottom