Beyond Earth release date announced (Oct. 24), pre-order bonus + 'Inside Look'!

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator

2K have announced the release date for Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth - October 24. Unlike previous titles in the Civilization series, this is a worldwide release date.

In addition, a pre-order bonus has been announced - the 'Exoplanets Map Pack'. The official Civilization twitter account clarified that this contains 'six custom maps inspired by real exoplanets'. Steam pre-orders are not yet available, and the Civilization twitter account also noted that 'more pre-order options are coming'. Retailers with whom you can already pre-order the game can be found here.

In addition, two new videos have been released on the official Civilization youtube channel. The first is an eight minute long gameplay walkthrough with co-lead designer Will Miller, whilst the second video, entitled 'Inside Look', features brief interviews with Will Miller and the other co-lead designer, David McDonough.

Attachments

• sidmeierbeyondearth.jpg
    sidmeierbeyondearth.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 100,228
I'll probably hold off preording this since:
1. The expansion to WoW will probably be out then, and I will be busy
2. Not sold that it will be a great game, will wait for reviews.
3. I don't really play non-randomly generated maps.

In truth, only #1 is the reason holding me back.

Hm, single worldwide release. That's bold.

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sold on this one; when it comes down to it I might get it and there are fun and very original ideas put into it, but it looks a lot like a very highly polished and terribly unique Civ5 mod. Tactical map style borders, same ranged attack graphics when selecting a target, same colours compared to vanilla civs; in the case of the first video Will is playing a civ with the Byzantine colours against a civ with the Mongolian colours. If you look carefully too you'll see the flag of the African civ is the Arabian flag in Civ5.

Chances are I'll get it, but it's actually a bit difficult to see it as anything more than a very fancy mod. Still, the tech web and the orbit layer among others are really cool sticking points for me. Someone do a Final Frontier mod for this one!

Somethings I noticed in the trailer:
- 1UPT is still in. Yay....
- The combat system overall looks like a copy/paste from Civ 5
Hopefully this time the AI will handle it.

I second the skepticism. Maybe the orbital layer will add an yet unknown depth to the game, but overall it just looks like a CiV mod. And it does not look as if they included terraforming :(

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sold on this one; when it comes down to it I might get it and there are fun and very original ideas put into it, but it looks a lot like a very highly polished and terribly unique Civ5 mod. Tactical map style borders, same ranged attack graphics when selecting a target, same colours compared to vanilla civs; in the case of the first video Will is playing a civ with the Byzantine colours against a civ with the Mongolian colours. If you look carefully too you'll see the flag of the African civ is the Arabian flag in Civ5.

Chances are I'll get it, but it's actually a bit difficult to see it as anything more than a very fancy mod. Still, the tech web and the orbit layer among others are really cool sticking points for me. Someone do a Final Frontier mod for this one!
It's an alpha release he's playing, so obviously they're going with the existing graphics and then modifying them as you go. I do agree that many things look like polished Civ5. Despite being in space (which is uniquely different) there's a lot of evolution and Civ5 concepts that have been renamed (espionage for one), but also different things like the networked techtree err techweb.

At least they have a different designer now, however it still kinda looks like Civ 5, basically a "buy me mod"

It's an alpha release he's playing, so obviously they're going with the existing graphics and then modifying them as you go. I do agree that many things look like polished Civ5. Despite being in space (which is uniquely different) there's a lot of evolution and Civ5 concepts that have been renamed (espionage for one), but also different things like the networked techtree err techweb.

Eh, fair enough. Just minor complaining on my part, I'm sure it'll turn out excellently.

I wonder if the currency in be will also be called credits like they used to in final frontier.

I will wait a month or two. CiV was terrible at the beginning and I was really disappointed. Some issues are still annoying, for example AI can not fight, but in overall I am happy. So, as I said. I buy it (eventually) after firsts patches and opinions of beta testers... ups players ;)

I will wait, half of the reason is because I have learned the hard way not to buy games when they are first released. The other half is because I want to have 1000 hours in Civ V before I buy another Civ game.

I will wait, half of the reason is because I have learned the hard way not to buy games when they are first released. The other half is because I want to have 1000 hours in Civ V before I buy another Civ game.
Let's see, if you bought the game for $50, that would be 0.05$ per hour (or whatever the US -> EUR is). That is pretty cheap. Most AAA games expect a $1 to 1 hour play time. With your expectations, I would suggest you stick to 4x games and roguelikes.

I agree, I have learned my lesson. Wait a year, all the bugs will be fixed and it will be half price on steam. Sometimes it doesn't even take a year. I remember with CiV there were a couple of big patches and it was like 30% off only a couple months after release..that REALLY bugged me.

I agree, I have learned my lesson. Wait a year, all the bugs will be fixed and it will be half price on steam. Sometimes it doesn't even take a year. I remember with CiV there were a couple of big patches and it was like 30% off only a couple months after release..that REALLY bugged me.

Yep, wait for the Steam winter sale or if the reviews are so so...wait for the summer sale. I jumped the gun on Civilization Colonization and think that this game doesn't look or feel different enough to be worth full price. Of course, I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a great game.

"Okay gentlemen, I Civ 4 we went beyond the sword; What new expansion pack should we add for Civ 5?"

"wut about beyand urth?"

"BRILLIANTLY ORIGINAL!"

Although I know I SHOULD wait X months for bugs to be removed and a Steam sale to appear, I know perfectly well I'll be unable to resist pre-ordering and trying it out for hours on end the moment it is available, at midnight if necessary, neglecting all work obligations and parental responsibilities. Sigh.

Meh. DLC-Mappacks.

I second the skepticism. Maybe the orbital layer will add an yet unknown depth to the game, but overall it just looks like a CiV mod. And it does not look as if they included terraforming :(

Terraforming was one of the tech options.

Someone do a Final Frontier mod for this one!

Haha, yeah, I still pull that out every once in a while. Such a good mod.

bugs or not bugs gettin it day one

Yeah, that's me as well. I played 2k or so hours of CiV from release day until the end of G & K, but I just played my first 2 games of Brave New World yesterday and I must confess that there is a lot to like. Beyond Earth looks like it's taking the same old engine but with updated graphics (as we've seen many times in the civ series) and gameplay enhancements. I don't care if they call it civ V "Beyond Earth" and charge $50, civ 6, or just "Beyond Earth"...the game looks like it will have enough of the good elements from civ 5 and alpha centauri that I'm happy to alpha test it for them for a while after it launches.

Top Bottom