Sweden

merijn_v1

Black Belt
No, this isn't a thread begging Leoreth to include Sweden. Instead, I will do it myself, with the help of Leoreth's guide.

I finished my last exam of this year today, so I have some free time for the next couple of weeks. A nice opportunity to give it a go.

As you probably noticed, the civ I choose to include is Sweden. If you have suggestions, please post them. Some unique aspects aren't decided yet.

Download here
NOTE: Currently only SVN.
Installation instructions:
Spoiler :
1. Unzip DoC v1.12 in the BTS mods folder
2. Rename the new modfolder to "RFC Dawn of Civilization - Sweden"
3. Unzip the zipfile in the new folder.
4. Play

Spawn date:
Capital:
Stockholm

UP:
The Power of Nobel Prize:
Settle GP provide 2 :) and 1 :gold:

UU:
Karolin
Replaces Musketman
Free March and Drill I promotion

UB:
Riksbank
Replaces Bank, free merchant

UHV:
- Control the entire Baltic Sea, Kattegat and Skagerak in 1700 AD
- Control 7 fur resources by 1800 AD
- Have the highest approval rating for 50 turns by 1970 AD

Flag and color:
Same as RFCE

Leaders:
Gustav Vasa
(others)

For UHV:
1: Control Poland and Germany by 1750
2: Colonize North America by 1765
3: Do not lose a city until 1800

Glad to hear this. I hope there will be more user made new civs.

I'm now trying to add Australian Civ, but there's still lots of works to do.

I'll help as much as I can.

My own Swedish UHV would look like this:
- control the entire Baltic Sea coast in 1700 AD (beat Germany, Russia, Denmark/Vikings)
- control X fur resources (take over Scandinavia, take on Russia, alternately colonize Canada)
- have the highest approval rating for 50 turns by 1970 AD (Swedish social democracy)

I've been floating some UP ideas too, maybe it should relate to Nobel Prizes? For instance, +x GPP in your capital for every GP born in a country you have pleased or friendly relations with.

Isnt 1523 very late?

I dont know if Riksbank (Central Bank) is a good UB. You should only have one central bank? But it is the worlds oldest so it might be ok.

All UHVs are good! I really like the last Leoreth one.

I'd view Sweden as a conditional spawn if the Vikings are not stable enough when the Renaissance comes rolling. Which as it happens, it is already the situation in pretty much all the games, so no problem there :D Sweden could also be the Viking resurrection if they die before or after that. So as not to penalize a player who is doing swell with the Vikings (has anyone pulled off a Grand Empire of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, England, Ireland and Vinland?)
The Vikings could then be renamed to Norway or Denmark depending on their capital being Oslo or Copenhagen and relocate the Stockholm core to Bergen/western Sweden, though they would probably be all but toast by then much like the Khmer vs. the Thai.
That will require quite a bit of moving things around though, so for the moment take it easy and see if you manage to fire up the game with Sweden. I take you're familiar with compiling the dll?

As for the karoliner, well going by Civ5 they would have March promotion, but that's the "thing" of America's minutemen already. How about coding something for them instead of promotions, like +25% combat bonus against enemies with a different state religion?

Glad to hear this. I hope there will be more user made new civs.

I'm now trying to add Australian Civ, but there's still lots of works to do.

I hope that too. If this turns into a success I will create more civs. But I have to start somewhere.

Good luck with Australia. Maybe you should create a thread of your own, like this one. As you can see, you get a lot of useful suggestions. (And it also keeps me motivated)

I'll help as much as I can.

My own Swedish UHV would look like this:
- control the entire Baltic Sea coast in 1700 AD (beat Germany, Russia, Denmark/Vikings)
- control X fur resources (take over Scandinavia, take on Russia, alternately colonize Canada)
- have the highest approval rating for 50 turns by 1970 AD (Swedish social democracy)

I've been floating some UP ideas too, maybe it should relate to Nobel Prizes? For instance, +x GPP in your capital for every GP born in a country you have pleased or friendly relations with.

I will probably need a lot of help. This project is also meant as a learning project.

For the UHV, I was also thinking about controlling the Baltic Sea as one of the UHV. The other 2 also seem very nice.

The UP will very likely be connected to the Nobel Prizes. I was thinking of a bonus (research and gold maybe) for every settled GP.

Isnt 1523 very late?

I dont know if Riksbank (Central Bank) is a good UB. You should only have one central bank? But it is the worlds oldest so it might be ok.

All UHVs are good! I really like the last Leoreth one.

It's the same date used in RFCE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Sweden#Modern_Sweden:_1523

I got the Riksbank idea from Swedish civs in the Download Database. I will use that one unless I get a better one.

RFCE uses a military based UB (Soldier Tennant). But if I use that one, it has to replace the Barracks. (I can't think of an appropriate alternative it can replace) But as the Barracks are prebuild, you can't build your UB. Which is no fun at all.

I'd view Sweden as a conditional spawn if the Vikings are not stable enough when the Renaissance comes rolling. Which as it happens, it is already the situation in pretty much all the games, so no problem there :D Sweden could also be the Viking resurrection if they die before or after that. So as not to penalize a player who is doing swell with the Vikings (has anyone pulled off a Grand Empire of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, England, Ireland and Vinland?)
The Vikings could then be renamed to Norway or Denmark depending on their capital being Oslo or Copenhagen and relocate the Stockholm core to Bergen/western Sweden, though they would probably be all but toast by then much like the Khmer vs. the Thai.
That will require quite a bit of moving things around though, so for the moment take it easy and see if you manage to fire up the game with Sweden. I take you're familiar with compiling the dll?

As for the karoliner, well going by Civ5 they would have March promotion, but that's the "thing" of America's minutemen already. How about coding something for them instead of promotions, like +25% combat bonus against enemies with a different state religion?

The Vikings will have to be revised anyway if Sweden is included. But as you said, I should take it easy for the moment and start with including Sweden in the first place. But eventually, I want to balance the Vikings accordingly.

As with compiling the DLL: No, I'm not familiar with it (yet). But learning to do that is a part of this project.

I won't go to exotic for now. (I don't have enough experience yet to code it) I think the vanilla BTS Redcoat bonus will suite the Karolin for now. (25% vs. gunpowder units)

These are great ideas - good luck.

The Australian civ - I've been thinking about this. The UU could be a "Digger" - infantry with improved movement, healing and morale (think Gallipoli and Kokoda Track)? This could be useful if Australia is invaded (by the Japanese :) ) as troops could move further distances per turn from the cities to combat the threat (as Australia is so sparsely populated). The UB could link in with this - "Sports Stadium" - an amphitheatre that gives extra strength and stamina to units (as Australia is per capita the most successful sporting nation on Earth)?

Wadayareckon?

I will probably need a lot of help. This project is also meant as a learning project.
I would really recommend setting up your compiler first. You don't want to lose steam there when you're in the middle of the project.

For the UHV, I was also thinking about controlling the Baltic Sea as one of the UHV. The other 2 also seem very nice.
The advantage is that you can steal the code for all of them from other already existing goals.

I'm planning to set up the compiler first anyway. Before I start coding Sweden, I will try to compile a DLL with the vanilla DoC GameCore files, just to learn how that works.

Glad to see Sweden back in drawing plan. I'm looking forward for it.

One good idea is adding the Nobel Prizes in the game (requiring scientific method) and include them in the UHV:

UHV:
*Swedish empire: Control the entire baltics in 1700AD.
*Nobel Prizes: Build the Nobel Prizes Awards.
*Scandinavian society: Have the highest aproval rate for 50 turns by 1970AD.

One other idea was that Nobel prizes are their UP:

UP: The power of Nobel Prizes: +1:) per established great person, other leaders with established great persons in their cities have better attitude (if n is the number of their established great persons, then the attitude is +n).

One other for UP was something related to IKEA.

UP: Power of Ikea: Lumbermill +2:gold:

One other idea related to noble Prizes, without adding them in the game:
*Nobel Prizes: Be the first to discover Military Science and Military Tradition
or:
*Nobel Prizes: Be the first to complete the discovery of the tech set: Chemistry, Physics, Literature, Medicine, Economics

Something like:

- UHV1: Conquest: Control Baltics
- UHV2: Discovery: Be first to discover Chemistry, Physics, Literature, Medicine, Economics
- UHV3: Welfare state: Have the highest aproval rate for 50 turns during the 20th century. Or something.

UP: Power of nobel prize: +1 happy face for each great person. Nice for UHV 3.

UB: Riksbank. Free merchant? Nice for UP.

UU: Karolin

Another UHV idea:

Controlling whole Northern Europe territory (includes Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and Island) in 1900AD and 1950AD

Perfect! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob: Give us the modmodmod! We want to play!

Regarding the Karolins (Karolinerna in Swedish) one of the reasons these soldiers were so good was the fact that they perfected the art of reloading, so their powerup could possible be something like- Can move after attacking or Attack twice.

Perfect! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob: Give us the modmodmod! We want to play!

Easy... ;)

That was just a test run, after I completed the guide. That means all of Swedens parameters are included (to make them run properly), but not balanced. Most parameters, constants etc. are just placeholders (copied from the Vikings, like the settlermap) There is still a lot of work to do.

But I'm glad I got this far already.

Top Bottom