The Diary of Nikudayev - Russia in AoI 4.0

Tani Coyote

Son of Huehuecoyotl
My name is Dmitry Arsenyovich Nikudayev. I was originally but a humble clerk in our nation’s Ministry of Justice, but I now find myself as its most senior official. A string of terrorist attacks on our Foreign and War Ministries has left many of our best statesmen and bureaucrats dead, the latest in a trend that once claimed the life of Tsar Alexander II. My task to protect Russia has never been more stressful, as now many of my peers have been placed under the protection of our imperial police… both public and secret. By His Majesty’s will, I will do my most earnest to ensure that our infrastructure, military, and our overall integrity of a nation are not interfered with by these terrorists.

Spoiler :
As of my writing on this New Years’ 1895, to say that our position leaves something to be desired would be an understatement. Our Empire is barely remaining solvent, and that’s mostly because we have remained frugal in our funding of scientific discoveries. We do, however, have the world’s second-largest population and geographic area, second in both to only the British Empire. Embezzlement is a severe problem in many parts of the Empire, with some cities so corrupt that we are losing over half of our expected tax revenues to officials. Our military, while large, is poorly-trained and equipped and we must rely on our terrain and our numbers to obtain victory.

My first order of business upon entering His Majesty’s graces was a massive reorganization of our legal system. While I can attest that the Cheka are most useful, they have their limits in providing law on a day-to-day basis. Via the purging of old police forces and the training of new officers, as well as ensuring there is much to fear if one is caught stealing His Majesty’s funds, I was able to cut down corruption in areas particularly rife with it such as Central Asia.

Of course, the largest obstacle faced by Russia’s economy and military is perhaps the lack of a railway between our Pacific and European coastlines. Were the Japanese to assault us, we would be hard pressed to repel them. At the time of this report, it is estimated that completion of the railway will take at least 10 years. While future labor will likely cut this, it does present a rather large obstacle to Russia’s security. Of course, that is a matter for the Public Works Ministry and Defense Ministry, not myself in my humble Justice Ministry…

…

September 3rd, 1985. When I received word that our great capital city had pioneered the world’s first X-Ray Machine, I was filled with joy. Despite continuing to have a sluggish economy, Russia has managed to become the leading scientific power. At my urging, however, the War Ministry was quick to advise the Tsar that we would soon have to consider expanding our military.

…

March 9th, 1896. At the urging of the Treasury Ministry, the Tsar commanded that we adopt the Gold Standard. This enormously improved confidence in the imperial ruble, stimulating economic growth. Russia’s revenue had grown faster than it costs, all without prohibitive tax raises, and the Empire was now solvent. The military was also spread thin, however…

…

As the military has begun to slowly expand around the Caspian Sea, Russia has had the honor of hosting the World Fair in 1896. Russia has signed lucrative trade agreements along its entire western border; this has convinced the world that the Russian Bear is a gentle giant with peaceful intentions, at least with regards to Europe. We went so far as to annul our alliance with the French, putting the Germans at ease. Though we have continued to argue for the southern Slavs’ interests in the Balkans, we have otherwise embraced a policy of non-interference on our western frontiers.

Of course, like all close advisers, I knew that the Tsar had taken our (I emphasize our) advice and was considering war on other frontiers….

But of course, we continue to feed the masses their pipe dream. With our holding of the Olympics in Moscow, we have demonstrated not only our athletic prowess, but the peaceful intentions of Russia.

…

Today is December 31st, 1896. I have submitted my end of year report to the Tsar. Estimated embezzlement has dropped from highs of thirty to fifty percent down to a low of ten in the most corrupt locations. Our economy is roaring, and even though statisticians overseas report that Russia’s power has declined, they could not be any more wrong. Now that our bureaucracy and regulatory framework have been simplified as well as purged of most inefficiency, we are more poised than ever to make ourselves known on the global stage. My compatriots in other Ministries report improvements, with the exception of the War Ministry, though as our naval buildup in the Caspian proceeds, I’m sure the Minister of War will become more satisfied…

…

February 5, 1897. I must admit it was rather disturbing to hear the Minister of War’s cries silenced by a shot, but such is the nature of treason in Russia. His Majesty has invested me with provisional authority over the military for a few weeks’ time until a suitable replacement can be found.

Our naval buildup in the Caspian is proceeding without a hitch, and we have amassed thousands of ground troops. Our plan is to push into Persia so as to acquire a supply of cheap labor for the Empire. We will also be able to close the Caspian to warships and save considerable amounts of manpower and finance.

…

June 20th, 1897. His Majesty has announced the merging of the Justice and War Ministries into the National Security Ministry at the grand opening of the new Imperial Military Academy. I have been granted enormous responsibilities, overseeing both our police forces as well as our military. I can only hope that by combining our security against threats foreign and domestic that we can make Russia more secure than ever before.

…

August 29th. Russia’s scientific assent continues without delay, and we have made numerous discoveries in the fields of physics, while our engineers were also able to build a telegraph cable across the Bering Strait.

Spoiler :
November 4th. I bring disturbing news. The Ottoman Sultan has apparently suffered a bout of insanity. A small group of his forces assaulted our Georgian territories, though they held easily.

Their ships are reported to be outside the city of Odessa, our key Black Sea port. We are outnumbered… but the Tsar has entrusted that I shall do our nation good and repel the Turkish threat. So it is written, so it shall be.

…

November 18th. I report that we have sunk the entire Turkish fleet off Odessa. While it is reported that there are more gunships on their way, it is nonetheless a day of celebration for Russia. No Russian forces have been lost yet, though Turkish casualties are continuing to mount.

In the meantime, we have fortified our western frontier. While the Ottomans are unlikely to threaten us on our actual border, it is presumed they may send troops through the neutral German, Austro-Hungarian, or Romanian countrysides to attack us elsewhere.

…

December 2nd. The Ottoman fleet has been completely sunk off the coast of Crimea despite an attempted retreat. The Tsar has given me great praise for having fended off the Turkish navy, stating that he always was confident in my ability to do so.

In the midst of a victory dinner, however, the Tsar pulled me aside. “Bring us more territory,” he stated in my ear, before resuming the festivities. I have been given a somewhat challenging task… capturing at least one Turkish city before we make peace. While Istanbul is admittedly a tempting target, I feel it would benefit Russia more to seize Trabzon, thus depriving the Turks of their main timber source.

For once, I admit… I’m not so confident in myself.

…

February 2nd, 1898. The Turks attempted an invasion of the Ukraine, and while they did slaughter several dozen civilians in raids, we were able to pay back their mischief with interest. Every single Turkish soldier has been killed in retaliation.

…

March 8th. A massive artillery column is now en route to the Caucasus. Within two months, we will begin our offensive into Anatolia. We shall make the Sultanate bleed for its treachery.

…

April 29th. We have taken control of the Ottoman trenches to the southeast of Trabzon, even if we lost some of our fine men in the process. Having broken the Turkish lines, we have moved a massive amount of hardware and troops into the area. Everything we can muster has been thrown into the Trabzon Campaign.

…

May 22nd. We have lost almost no men taking the city of Trabzon, a great victory for the Russian Empire. The Ottomans have sued for peace, and we have secured a sizable indemnity as well as the cession of northeastern Turkey. The laughter of many powers at the “European in name only” military of the Russian Empire has been cut short as a result of our swift, decisive victory.

The Tsar has spoken to me once more, and has tasked me with resuming the Persian Campaign. I can only hope it will be as successful as our battle in Turkey.

Spoiler :
July 5th. Russia has enjoyed a sphere of influence in northern Persia for many years now, while our rivals in the British Empire have carved their own sphere of influence in the south. The political integrity of Persia has served Anglo-Russian interests, and we have in the past widely agreed that we shall do what we may to preserve order in the country. Of course, the exact stability of our agreement is about to be tested…

We have declared open war on the Persians and have deployed a large force of Infantry and Cossacks outside Gorgan. If taken, the city will supply us with more coal and iron, as well as split the Persian defense forces in two.

July 8th. We have taken the city of Gorgan. To keep this war short and sweet, we have quickly redeployed forces outside Tabriz. If the city falls, all of the Caspian will be under our control. Artillery hardware is also being shipped to Gorgan, and once it has disembarked, we should be able to take Mashhad in the northeast.

July 9th. The British have sent us a warning that they will intervene on Persia’s behalf if we push to Tehran. We will of course heed this.

July 21st. The Persians launched a counterattack a few days ago. I am proud to report that they have failed in their offensive and have lost large amounts of men while we have lost but a scant few. We presume the Persian cavalry forces are exhausted for the time being.

July 22nd. Seeing our current preoccupation, the French demanded an annual shipment of Copper at vastly discounted prices, with a thinly veiled threat to convince us. The Tsar has stated in private correspondence that our policy of non-interference no longer applies to France, and that should they find themselves at war, we should do whatever we can to ruin them.

August 3rd. The British have attacked Gorgan, their earlier memo having been an attempt to lure us into a false sense of security. Though the situation looks dire, the Tsar has told our army to remain steadfast. Troops are being moved from all over the Empire to Caspian to be shipped into Persia; we shall withstand the might of British India.

September 10th. We have repelled a British counteroffensive and killed thousands of Indian conscripts. It remains to be seen exactly what the British have in store.

We have, however, successfully seized the entire Persian Caspian coastline. The Tsar has given the order to push towards Tehran as soon as any Anglo-Persian attacks abate, so as to secure our frontier.

…

November 29th. We have lost the the 9th Battalion in Tabriz to British Cavalry. The British numbers are immense, and our Infantry are too poorly-equipped to hold out for long. However, we have Maxim battalions en route to the region.

December 3rd. Too cowardly to face our capital head on, the Royal Navy has approached Murmansk in the north. The Tsar has stated that the city’s importance cannot be understated; if it falls, the British will have a beachhead into Russia proper.

…

December 23rd. Christmas has come early for me, I do believe!

While it is unlikely Britain’s position will be changed any by this conflict, and we in fact anticipate that they will gain control of German Africa, anything that spills the blood of British forces is welcome in our book. The Kriegsmarine, if nothing else, should be able to harass the Empire.

…

January 5th, 1899. A new year with a new danger. The Tsar has declared a state of National Emergency in response to growing British presence north of Murmansk. Artillery forces have been recalled from Persia to help shell the Royal Navy whenever it approaches the shoreline. Soldiers have been drafted from all across the Empire to help build more defenses around the city.

In good news, our position in Persia has never been more secure. Great generals have disciplined our rank and file, and now our defenses are stronger than ever before. Short of – God forbid – a massive British invasion force materializing from thin air, we are in Persia to stay. The Tsar has promised me handsome compensation if I can secure Tehran for him by mid-year.

…

February 10th. We have repelled Britain’s largest offensive yet, killing over a dozen Indian cavalry. There is admittedly some concern among our ranks just how deep British manpower reserves go, but we are confident they will soon reach their end.

…

March 3rd. We’ve disposed of a great deal of the Royal Navy’s smaller vessels off Murmansk. The British have adapted their strategy and are keeping their capital ships out of our artillery range, however. They have nonetheless lost dozens of vessels in their offensive.

At my advice, the Tsar has had the Foreign Ministry sign agreements with France, Belgium, and Germany to allow us to transport our artillery through their territory. The reason? It will allow us to shell British positions in the narrow Channel and possibly sink many of their ships.

March 15th. Some of our artillery have arrived in the Channel, and while they have sunk some British shipping, it appears the Germans have already taken care of most of that.

…

April 17th. Tehran is ours! The defenses were barely enough to resist us. If the capital is this poorly-defended, the rest of Persia is rather tempting… for now though, we must continue to weather British assaults. The taking of Tehran should make our position more defensible. London refuses to return any attempts at peace despite the fact they have lost about twenty times as many soldiers as us.

…

June 1st. We have made peace with the Persians. They have formally granted us concessions in every part of the country except for Hormuz, and have also pledged around ¾ of their annual revenue to us for the next year.

While the British are open to peace offers, the Tsar has stated we shall not rest until we have seized some of Britain’s territory in revenge for their transgressions. His Majesty requests we at least occupy Afghanistan.

Top Bottom