Beyond Earth Icon Competition - win Beyond Earth swag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator
With the release of Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth just two weeks away, we're looking for a shiny, new Beyond Earth icon!

Just as we did for Civ5 (), we're running a competition to find the best 28x12 piece of art! All you have to do is design an icon, upload it here, and then be voted the winner. After two rounds of voting we'll adopt the most popular design as our official Beyond Earth icon. This icon will typically be used in front of thread titles, as the exclamation mark is for this thread ().

And there are prizes available! The winner will receive a Beyond Earth backpack full of Firaxis goodies from Firaxicon, thanks to 2K. The precise contents will be confirmed in the coming days, at which time this post will be updated.

So, some more detailed instructions:
  1. Design an icon no wider than 28 pixels and no taller than 12 pixels.
  2. Post in this thread within the next week and 'attach' the icon to your post.
  3. Vote for the winner the week after.

Entries will close exactly one week from the timestamp on this post.

A first round of voting will then take place, lasting four days. Following this, a final round of voting will take place, lasting four days. The winner will be the icon receiving the most votes in the final round.

The precise set-up of the voting will depend on the number of entires we receive, but it is likely that the first round of voting will involve multiple polls, and the final round will involve more than two icons. If the icon with the highest vote share has only 25% of the vote, for example, it will still be the winner. If there is a tie in the final round, a run-off vote will be held.

You are free to enter the competition with as many icons as you like. We of course reserve the right to exclude joke entries; we don't want to be stuck with something ridiculous. And obligatorily, all other terms of this competition are also subject to change, and any icon may be disqualified at any time, without prior notice. :)

Edit: Inside the Beyond Earth backpack will be the following:
  • Beyond Earth keyring
  • Beyond Earth mousepad
  • X-Com shot glass
  • X-Com dog tag
  • AMD 8GB thumb drive

Getting the ball rolling :)

Attachments

• BE_entry_obbu.gif
    BE_entry_obbu.gif
    1 KB · Views: 2,084
28x12 is really not a huge amount of pixels to work with. Trying to translate the Beyond Earth title graphic to that size is a challenge. My tries (one with fat letters, one with thin letters):

Attachments

• civ_BE_Icon.png
    civ_BE_Icon.png
    492 bytes · Views: 2,334
  • civ_BE_Icon2.png
    civ_BE_Icon2.png
    713 bytes · Views: 2,318
Used the gradient treatment from the title screen (from the trailer).

Attachments

• Civ_BE_icon_Wodan_v1.jpg
    Civ_BE_icon_Wodan_v1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,184
With planet in background

Attachments

• Civ_BE_icon_Wodan_v2.jpg
    Civ_BE_icon_Wodan_v2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 3,109
nice and clean, duotone

Attachments

• Civ_BE_icon_Wodan_v3.jpg
    Civ_BE_icon_Wodan_v3.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,148
another duotone, on white background

Attachments

• Civ_BE_icon_Wodan_v4.jpg
    Civ_BE_icon_Wodan_v4.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2,149
black background

Attachments

• Civ_BE_icon_Wodan_v5.jpg
    Civ_BE_icon_Wodan_v5.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,922
Just finished mine. It's similar to Masnie's and Nutty's, but a lot sharper and somewhat more saturation.

Attachments

• Sharper BE Icon.png
    Sharper BE Icon.png
    856 bytes · Views: 2,284
OK, I'm no artist, but here goes nothing...
cbe.gif

Not sure if that's how you attach an image...

I'm not going to compete, but I think having the hex window between the B & E would be cool.

Nutty and cooldude1128,

I borrowed your icons and made a couple alternates trying to make the hex window into a C. I hope you don't mind.

Here's what they look like:

Attachments

• CivBEIcon.png
    CivBEIcon.png
    916 bytes · Views: 3,251
  • CivBEIcon2.png
    CivBEIcon2.png
    848 bytes · Views: 2,047
  • CivBEIcon3.png
    CivBEIcon3.png
    802 bytes · Views: 3,240
Here is my effort:
icon_civbe.png

I know the color of the c is much lighter, but I wanted the hexagon to be black.

Lots of nice work so far! I'd be interested to see lots of these modified with a dark background - the first round of voting may be split between a dark background poll and a light background poll, depending on numbers.

Not sure if that's how you attach an image...

When posting, 'Go Advanced', and then in 'Advanced Options' below the text box and post icons, you'll see the 'Manage Attachments' option. Upload the image via that and it'll be attached to the post.

Though what you've done works too; the key is to have the image uploaded to CivFanatics rather than a third party site.

I'm not competing either (I suck at graphic design) but shouldn't we have icons for Harmony, Purity and Supremacy also?

Here are my entries, inspired by the affinity symbols.

Attachments

• civbe2.png
    civbe2.png
    286 bytes · Views: 1,691
  • civbe2a.png
    civbe2a.png
    361 bytes · Views: 2,011
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom