ModCast Episode 52: "Make It Fresh"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Worth the wait. The fifty-second episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "Make It Fresh" with a runtime of 53m49s, regular co-hosts Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley, Jett "TPangolin" and Jan "Janboruta" Boruta with first-time guest co-host "JFD".

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 03m50s | Modding Spotlight
Thirty civilizations plus strong, the collection of works by Civilization V modder "JFD" is featured.
- 18m55s | Cartography Room
The aptly timed release of Scotland with leader Robert the Bruce from "Pouakai" and the benefits that come early, sometimes too early, in The Philistine Nation by "Leugi" (24m53s).
- 31m22s | Miscellaneous
The immersion factor: what CivV mods the panelists use to set themselves deeply and richly in the game's environment.

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast, and this is the first "Focus" special not under that heading. Fellow sibling RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Holy crap! Voiced by JFD! :wow: *Immediately drops everything to listen to Modcast because is very intrigued as to what JFD sounds like 'cuz his civs are AWESOME*

I'd really like to hear whoward as a co-host too. :D Anyway, reporting in by my usual quoting best lines from the modcast and trying to guess people's accents in an hour...

(While listening to the episode) Well, it's definitely better than my mic - that is, because I don't have a mic. :p
Anyways, new voices baffling me as always, I assumed your voice was deeper or less British or something. I guess I assumed Australian accents sounded a lot like New Zealandish accents. Or, more probably, I haven't nearly enough foreign accents to judge exactly what each accent sounds like and I apparently think New Zealand sounds like Britain.

Laughed when TPangolin complained about your name having too many syllables and when he talks about staying up until sunrise playing Civ and being "half dead". :lol:

congratz JFD

Holy crap! Voiced by JFD! :wow: *Immediately drops everything to listen to Modcast because is very intrigued as to what JFD sounds like 'cuz his civs are AWESOME*

I'd really like to hear whoward as a co-host too. :D Anyway, reporting in by my usual quoting best lines from the modcast and trying to guess people's accents in an hour...

I doubt anyone would get this reference, but I think Rob sounds a lot like Actor/Comedian David Flynn, who was most recently on a short-lived TV show called Undateable.

Also, where can I find this "Exploration Expanded" mod that was mentioned on the show? I've searched these forums to no avail. Or is it only on the dreaded Steam Workshop? :sad:

I doubt anyone would get this reference, but I think Rob sounds a lot like Actor/Comedian David Flynn, who was most recently on a short-lived TV show called Undateable.

Also, where can I find this "Exploration Expanded" mod that was mentioned on the show? I've searched these forums to no avail. Or is it only on the dreaded Steam Workshop? :sad:
Dunno, I think it's still in development. And if it's not, remember that JFD doesn't upload his mods to the civfanatics database, but solely to dropbox. I don't recall ever seeing his mods on Steam either. ('course, I try to avoid Steam as much as possible... :p)

*cue someone to swoop in and correct me on pretty much everything there*

Dunno, I think it's still in development. And if it's not, remember that JFD doesn't upload his mods to the civfanatics database, but solely to dropbox. I don't recall ever seeing his mods on Steam either. ('course, I try to avoid Steam as much as possible... :p)

*cue someone to swoop in and correct me on pretty much everything there*

I'll assume it's still in development then, and that the modders who were referring to it in the ModCast had exclusive pre-release access to it.

Most of JFD's mods are up on Steam. Exploration Continued was published a while after the release of Gods and Kings. There is a hefty update for it planned, but I don't have enough time to cover art for it at the moment, and I believe JFD will be rather working on Piety & Prestige.

Ah, there's the problem. It's "Continued," not "Expanded." D'oh! Thanks Jan and Jett.

EDIT: I have 2 questions for those who've used it:

Dumb question: Do Scout that upgrade to Explorers automatically gain Survivalism 1, or only those that are hard built? I usually go down the Suvivalism line with my Scouts, but if they'll be getting it for free upon upgrade, then I take the Surveillance line instead.

Intelligent question: Are UU replacements like the Shoshone Pathfinder and Garamantes Plumed Nomad upgradable a well?

Most of JFD's mods are up on Steam. Exploration Continued was published a while after the release of Gods and Kings. There is a hefty update for it planned, but I don't have enough time to cover art for it at the moment, and I believe JFD will be rather working on Piety & Prestige.

Exploration Continued - like Cultural Diversity - is a nice side-project which is a little less intensive (coding-wise) than P&P, so I'll be resuming work on it, now that CulDiv is finished until it is needed for Prestige (after the addition of the Semitic group anyway). Of the four components, Colonies is the most disconnected, and that is the one that needed art - however, that doesn't have to hold back the rest of the mod which, frankly, is what I'm more interested in anyway. I'll be working on it - along with P&P and whatever other civs Jan gets a chance to provide art for + the Holy Roman Empire - over the Summer.

In the meantime, I wouldn't pay too much attention to Exploration Continued. I don't remember much of how it functions to provide much insight or assistance with issues regarding it.

Top Bottom