HOF Civ4 Update Discussion

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
The Civilization IV Hall of Fame has been updated. 52 games were accepted since the previous update.

Congratulations to Seraiel for the highest Firaxis score of the update with a Large, Marathon, Deity, Conquest game for 655569 points.

erikthecelt, Tatran, Mad2rix, and Sgtpeppers were the most active players during this update, submitting 5 games.

Only 4 players were brave enough to take on Deity this update:
kovacsflo - 1505 AD, Huge, Epic, Deity, Space Colony game for 202288 points.
Seraiel - 945 AD, Large, Marathon, Deity, Conquest game for 655569 points.
Seraiel - 1645 AD, Tiny, Epic, Deity, Space Colony game for 325170 points.
Sgtpeppers - Jan 2050 AD, Small, Epic, Deity, Time game for 48697 points.
WastinTime - 1770 AD, Huge, Quick, Deity, Conquest game for 56488 points.
[\indent]

Gauntlets are still on-going this update:
G-Major 134 - Conquest, Deity, Ancient, Large, Marathon, Highlands, Celt - Ends Jan 25, 2015
G-Minor 194 - Conquest, Warlord, Ancient, Tiny, Epic, Continents (check options) - Ends Jan 10, 2015​

A number of players gained number one positions:
kovacsflo with a 1505 AD, Huge, Epic, Deity, Space Colony game for 202288 points.
Seraiel with a 1645 AD, Tiny, Epic, Deity, Space Colony game for 325170 points.
Sgtpeppers with a Jan 2050 AD, Small, Epic, Deity, Time game for 48697 points.
WastinTime with a 1770 AD, Huge, Quick, Deity, Conquest game for 56488 points.

The-Hawk with a 1520 AD, Tiny, Epic, Immortal, Cultural game for 83511 points.
The-Hawk with a 1610 AD, Huge, Normal, Immortal, Diplomatic game for 112192 points.
The-Hawk with a 1560 AD, Large, Epic, Immortal, Cultural game for 62283 points.

neilmeister with a Jan 2050 AD, Huge, Normal, Emperor, Time game for 29091 points.

dutchfire with a 300 AD, Standard, Normal, Prince, Domination game for 138009 points.

dutchfire with a 200 BC, Standard, Quick, Noble, Domination game for 81667 points.
Sgtpeppers with a 1120 BC, Small, Quick, Noble, Conquest game for 55630 points.

Sgtpeppers with a 3650 BC, Tiny, Epic, Warlord, Conquest game for 12255 points.

lymond with a 1450 BC, Large, Marathon, Settler, Religious game for 44000 points.

A number of players gained a composite table High Score (i.e. Any Condition):
Mad2rix with a 1180 AD, Small, Marathon, Emperor, game for 518209 points.

Seraiel with a 1645 AD, Tiny, Epic, Deity, game for 325170 points.

Wow, that answer from Flori came fast :) After me having destroyed his Huge / Epic / Spacerace, he retakes the position only 1 update later :)

Congratz to beating me through the power of Mansa Musa :) . I'm quite sure, that if you'd have played Ragnar (like me) , the game wouldn't have been good enough :) . Hmmm, maybe I'm gonna choose Darius next time? ;) Don't worry, I already got Darius for EQM and it'll take a lot of time 'til I play my second games with the leaders, because first comes EQM, then EQM-score.

Congratz also to WastinTime for his amazingly fast Conquest game and congratz to Sgtpeppers for taking one of the many time-game-slots held by WastinTime :)

Congratz also to all other paricipants. Limone now playing Settler? :D

Congratz also to all other paricipants. Limone now playing Settler? :D

Only way I can win anything:lol: It's a challenger game. You should play the Challengers. You'd probably kill that Settler/Mara game. It was only the second Mara game I ever finished or played...and I probably won't ever play another Mara game since I've got my 2 in.

Wow, that answer from Flori came fast :) After me having destroyed his Huge / Epic / Spacerace, he retakes the position only 1 update later :)

Congratz to beating me through the power of Mansa Musa :) . I'm quite sure, that if you'd have played Ragnar (like me) , the game wouldn't have been good enough :) . Hmmm, maybe I'm gonna choose Darius next time? Limone now playing Settler? :D

Sorry for retaking this position, but I needed that. I want to keep my QM throne :).

Ragnar is still a financial leader, so both of them works well for a space race. With Ragnar you might want to conquer, but I don't want to bother with that. At least my game lasted only 1/10 hours as yours.

You are aiming EQM? Why not QM?

A nice range of entries this update :goodjob:

Congratz also to WastinTime for his amazingly fast Conquest game and congratz to Sgtpeppers for taking one of the many time-game-slots held by WastinTime :)
It was not a WastinTime game I beat, i'm not sure it would be wise to awaken the beast and take his slots. Although when I finnaly come around to Rock of Ages for EQM I may try for some of his time slots.

A nice range of entries this update :goodjob:

It was not a WastinTime game I beat, i'm not sure it would be wise to awaken the beast and take his slots. Although when I finnaly come around to Rock of Ages for EQM I may try for some of his time slots.

Don't be afraid of me. I tend not to retaliate unless it's a particularly treasured spot.
I did most of those time games back when a group of us had a goal to get at least one entry in each slot. Now, if you go for my all-time high time game of 125k on Tiny, then I'd have to try to get that spot back.

On the other hand, if kovacsflo re-takes the quick conquest spot that I just got. I intend to fight for some huge/conquests to tighten up my QM score as well. My game can be beat simply with an earlier era start, but I'm prepared to go Ancient start if I have too. My game was ~57 turns to conquer all 10 AI. It'll take quite a few more turns with Ancient starts, but should be doable.

if kovacsflo re-takes the quick conquest spot that I just got. I intend to fight for some huge/conquests to tighten up my QM score as well. My game can be beat simply with an earlier era start, but I'm prepared to go Ancient start if I have too. My game was ~57 turns to conquer all 10 AI. It'll take quite a few more turns with Ancient starts, but should be doable.

Thinking about it, though I don't think I would go to ancient start, but a classical one. Darius is always doing a fine job if he has the opportunity for an early immortal rush.

Good old times when cheesy games were good enough even with raging barbs. Now my 1954 domination game is the onlyone between my cheesy huge/deity slots which still is on first place. Though as you wrote, your result still can be beaten easily.

Sorry for retaking this position, but I needed that. I want to keep my QM throne :).

Ragnar is still a financial leader, so both of them works well for a space race. With Ragnar you might want to conquer, but I don't want to bother with that. At least my game lasted only 1/10 hours as yours.

You are aiming EQM? Why not QM?

Did I push you of your QM throne with that game? :D That'd be funny, because it would already have been the 2nd time that WastinTime becomes #1 QM again without his own influence.

Ragnar was a fine leader, but Corporations destroyed my game. Just took so long to spread and was so costly, that I'm sure State Property would have been better.
Also conquest was difficult and not like I expected it to be. Asoka reached Rifles while I had Cavalries, still got him down, but again at high costs.

My games lasting so long btw. is because I'm perfectionist. I could never live with a city that has 2 unimproved slots or with cities that are :mad: and have no city garrison, like in your game.

And I'm aiming at EQM first, later I may switch to QM, but EQM is the newer competition and I like that all games have to be on Deity, because let's be honest, but Deity is the only level where the AI is a real challenge.

I'm still always astonished how good your results are, for how little time invested, so respect for that.

I focus on QM, not EQM.
For one thing I really don't like non ancient starts.... it just feels wrong and too easy.
Also, for the lower level games in the HoF, it is not the AI you are trying to beat, that is a given, it is everyone elses dates.

I have somehow got myself to third, though I am stuck in no mans land at the moment.... 11 behind WastinTIme but 14 in front of Misotu.

Thinking about it, though I don't think I would go to ancient start, but a classical one. Darius is always doing a fine job if he has the opportunity for an early immortal rush.

Good old times when cheesy games were good enough even with raging barbs. Now my 1954 domination game is the onlyone between my cheesy huge/deity slots which still is on first place. Though as you wrote, your result still can be beaten easily.

fyi, I'm not interested in holding the #1 spot. I just want 90+ QM score. So before war breaks out between us :) I wanted you to know that I will Cease Fire if you beat my game using the same start era. The latest Gauntlet has put me in the mood for Huge conquest/Dom for the first time ever, so, if you want go classical, I willl have to join you in the early eras.

I submitted my first games since vanilla games in early 2008. Managed to get two rather easy #1 spots. Going from vanilla quattromaster to BtS quattromaster will take quite a number of games though...

I submitted my first games since vanilla games in early 2008. Managed to get two rather easy #1 spots.

That is a break and a half! Welcome back to the tables :)

For what it's worth, i'm about to seriously start the long journey to EQM. I chose it over QM, for the obvious "elite" and also because as I understand it QM favours huge maps with raging barbs? ewww...
Give me tiny maps on quick any day

Did I push you of your QM throne with that game? :D That'd be funny, because it would already have been the 2nd time that WastinTime becomes #1 QM again without his own influence.

Ragnar was a fine leader, but Corporations destroyed my game. Just took so long to spread and was so costly, that I'm sure State Property would have been better.
Also conquest was difficult and not like I expected it to be. Asoka reached Rifles while I had Cavalries, still got him down, but again at high costs.

My games lasting so long btw. is because I'm perfectionist. I could never live with a city that has 2 unimproved slots or with cities that are :mad: and have no city garrison, like in your game.

You are not pushing me, Wastin Time neither, though losing my important deity/huge slots could result to lose my throne. In this update, I have lost one but I got one back. It's not only you, other players like Neilmeister is continuosly taking away slots as well.

I prefer state property (over free market and corporations) mostly because it's simplicity. You don't have to collect resources and spread it to make it work, just to switch to communism. Not really realistic though :) Also if you have lots of river cities (which I try to get), the extra food from watermills are very tasty.

I am not a perfectionist, but I always try to invest the smallest effort to get the biggest gain. Like I check that workers will finish the next improvement by the time when population grows. If they would finish it sooner, I just build something else (a road or a neighbouring city's improvement). I don't do anything which is not necessery for the game. Red faces are a real pain, I agree, but I don't mind any green ones if it would take to much effort to make people healthy (and they can grow anyway).

And I'm aiming at EQM first, later I may switch to QM, but EQM is the newer competition and I like that all games have to be on Deity, because let's be honest, but Deity is the only level where the AI is a real challenge.

I'm still always astonished how good your results are, for how little time invested, so respect for that.

The thing is that EQM is too unfair, at least the rock of ages part of it. It expects you to submit games of earlier starts competing with later ones, c'mon.

I am already spending(have spent) too much time on this game. I have been playing with it for 2006, a lot of hours/week. Now I have gained pretty much practice so I need less time to make good decisions. Also the thing is that you only can see my actual playtime, but like 10 hours playtime normally needs 20-30 hours for earlier games which I needed to quit for some reason (like the Oracle was built by AI before me). It is still way less time that you invest, though.

Other than that, to be honest for me it seems that you have a kind of German perfectionist view, which doesn't always work, as not only the result matters but the effort as well.

The thing is that EQM is too unfair, at least the rock of ages part of it. It expects you to submit games of earlier starts competing with later ones, c'mon.
They're only competing with earlier starts if that's how you choose to approach it. Go for Tiny & Quick and you can knock out Rock of Ages in an afternoon!

I have one question to Kovacsflo:

Why do you always submit 3 savegames that are close before finishing? Like that, one cannot see the progress made in the game and how you played, so it would be a lot better if you submitted saves from the important points in your game, like Paper and the first war.

I have one question to Kovacsflo:

Why do you always submit 3 savegames that are close before finishing? Like that, one cannot see the progress made in the game and how you played, so it would be a lot better if you submitted saves from the important points in your game, like Paper and the first war.

Two reasons:

1. I thought that no one would check my savefiles other than the HoF staff who is okay with that mish-mush.

2. I am lazy and don't like to allocate my time on things which is not necessery :)

But I promise that next time I will submit proper savefiles especially for you.

Anyway I am playing Space Colony again, this time huge/deity/normal, which slot used to be mine as well. Playing with Pacal on a rainforest, which is a quite useless map, but I am improving my map QM points.

This thread is getting less busy... BTW, I don't go to war unless I am playing dom or conquest games. There were some exceptions of course, but in general I prefer to have enough lebensraum for free to my settlers and ancient guys with their club "defending" modern cities instead of building a lot of military units.

Top Bottom