Firaxis announce "Sid Meier's Starships", new interstellar strategy game

Pouakai

It belongs in a museum.

The latest game spearheaded by Sid Meier himself, Sid Meier's Starships is set alongside Beyond Earth, focusing on the "next chapter" once colonists have built starships and begin navigation of the galaxy. Slated for a Spring 2015 release date, the title is being offered on iPad as well as the traditional PC and Mac, and is also claiming to have cross-connectivity with Beyond Earth, for people with both games.

For more information, screenshots and a trailer, see the full Gamespot article here. Join the discussion on the announcement in this topic

PC, Mac, and iPad

Starships was developed by Meier and a small team at Firaxis.

This could be a pretty neat game and I hope it is, I really like the idea. Hopefully this ends up being more of a Ace Patrol in space game, that would be a fun budget title to pick up on a sale. However I don't really have a lot of faith in stuff developed directly by Sid Meier after that god awful and embarrassing CivWorld Facebook game he created. He always seemed so excited and proud when speaking about the development for that Facebook game and it was bog-standard FB "game" crap.

The link to the Gamespot article is broken...

Wouldn't want to sound negative, but this kind of suggests BE is thrown in the bin

Wouldn't want to sound negative, but this kind of suggests BE is thrown in the bin
You could also say it's the opposite: looking at the screenshots, it looks more like a tactics-based game with a thin strategy layer on top (a bit like an XCOM/Civ-hybrid?) using the established Civ:BE universe.

That suggests that they at least thing Civ:BE is a viable and valuable IP and setting and hence suggests that BE will get on-going support as this is a spin-off.

It might not, but I really don't think this is a competitor/successor to Civ:BE any more than Sid Meier's Ace Patrol is a sequel to Civ5.

if it's on the ipad than you can bet this will be a s****y phone game like civilization revolutions.
don't expect this to replace BE :lol:

This is being developed by a separate, small team lead by Sid. It won't have any impact on BE.

Reminds me of a Masters of Orion 2 meets Star Fleet Battles type of game and I am a big fan of both.
I'm looking forward to this release.

When does Starships get it's own forum section on Civfanatics?

actually even if the "ipad" word makes someone worry a bit (why not android version too btw?) because simplification etc.

it can be fun, but ofc I wouldn't pay full budget for it.

I wonder how it competes with Galactic Civilizations 3 since that one should be on the market this year (I think they have already early access)

I wonder how it competes with Galactic Civilizations 3 since that one should be on the market this year (I think they have already early access)

That's the comparison I'll be curious about, too. Based on the few Spaceships screenshots available, it looks rather similar to GalCiv2. Tentatively my guess is GalCiv3 will be the more interesting one for strategy fans, since it looks like Stardock is really going all-out on that one, but it's still too early to call (for both titles).

I do agree with Maniacal, too, that calling a game "Sid Meier's" isn't what it used to be, even when Sid is involved. I'm not sure there's been a really fantastic one he was directly involved with since Colonization (1994); Brian Reynolds was the main person for Alpha Centauri, and Civ2 and later have been lead by other people. Not that the newer games aren't good, they just aren't enough to base expectations of a new game on. Antietam, SimGolf, Railroads (2006), CivWorld, even Ace Patrol... they just aren't best of genre lately like Civilization and Railroad Tycoon (1990) were.

If it does wind up being more interesting than GalCiv3, however, I'll be impressed and interested.

I hope this is a civilization game in space, and not a panzer general/gettysburg with spaceships

My computer must not want me to know more about this, since I can't access the video anytime I see it! The link's working now, at least :)

Having just gotten Beyond Earth, this seems pretty cool, but the iPad option makes me worry it's not going to be much more than another fremium game.

Sort out BE first Firaxis!

Actually, sort out BNW first!! They should have done that before BE,...Still a lot of simple bugs!

Yes, simple
Ex. There is no desert on a Boreal map, so why are CSs giving you "Petra" quests...Etc. etc....

Firaxis is like Bethesda when it comes to releasing buggy games. They just do, and once they decide not to make more patches, it comes the players' responsibilities

Top Bottom