Cities specialization

Budda

Chieftain
I remember in Civ IV it made sense to specialize EACH city because of multiplication bonuses.

In Civ BE I see almost no any bonuses that questions the need of specialization.

I do recall something which give +15% to science to the city which tells it should be specialized in science, but other than that are there any multiplication bonuses?

Thanks

Orbital units are where it's at if you're looking to specialize a city. Solar Collectors (+20% energy) will be for your financial cities. Weather Controllers (7 tiles get +1 food) for tall cities. Orbital Fabricators (7 tiles get +1 production) for your production cities. And, for your science cities, you want the Lasercom Satelite (+15% science) and the Deep Space Telescope (+25% science rate).

There are others (Holomatrix for culture and defense against spies, Tacnet Hubs for defense, and Planet Carvers and Orbital Lasers for Michael Bay level explosions) but the ones listed above are probably the best for city focus.

And, since all but the Solar Collectors need oil and Titanium per unit, you can't just launch one per city cheaply. Furthermore, some are at the outer tiers of the tech tree meaning you have to rush to get them before the game is over. In short, don't let the fact that they are units lead you to believe you can just spam them.

Going for stacking of multiplication bonuses seems to be inefficient. Because aside from a couple of exceptions they suffer from two or even more of the following drawbacks:
1. The building costs resources that you just can't spare for more than one or two copies at most
2. The tech that unlocks it is out of the way of your affinity tech path
3. The tech that unlocks it leads nowhere of interest
4. The tech that unlocks it is expensive
5. The building needs too many affinity levels and therefore unlocks too late
And generally, whenever two or more of these are true there are usually much better options to research.

I put some thought into specialization and made some notes since not everything is easy to remember.

Some specialization will be determined by resources around a city so I'll list the resources and the buildings that need or are improved by them.

Growth:
Fungus - Growlab - medium Harmony
Resilin - Bionics Lab - medium Purity
Silica - Optical Surgery - medium Supremacy
Xenomass - Cloning Plant

Production:
Titanium - Alloy Foundry
Oil - Biofactory - medium Harmony

Energy:
Geothermal - Gaian Well - medium Purity

Science:
Xenomass - Xeno Nursery- low Harmony
Firaxite - Observatory
Firaxite - Neurolab - medium Supremacy

Culture:
Firaxite - Holosuite

And this is the list of buildings that can be built anywhere but are either too specific in function or too expensive to build everywhere. Many of them are percentage based.

Growth:
Mass Digester
Molecular Forge - high Harmony
Progenitor Garden - high Harmony

Production:
LEV Plant - medium Purity
Microbal Mine - high Harmony
Borehole - high Purity
Skycrane - high Purity
Bioglass Furnace - high Supremacy

Energy:
Field Reactor

Science:
Institute
Organ Printer - high Supremacy
Mantle - high Purity
Hypercore - high Supremacy

Culture:
Xeno Sanctuary - medium Harmony
CEL Cradle
Terra Vault - high Purity

So that's what I've come up with for specialization. By the way, something that I keep forgetting is that the longer you wait to make a specialized science or culture city, the less useful it is since you'll already have your major technologies and it will be too close to the end of the game to get good use out of new virtues. So I would suggest making your first xenomass city a science city and your first firaxite city a culture city.

Top Bottom