Is it time to move on? - Discussion/Debate

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
After about 5 years? several DLCs, 2 expansion packs, 1 spin-off (with another non Civ spin-off coming, although technically shouldn't be considered spin-offs).. is it time to just shelf Civ 5 and move onto Civ 6 (which hopefully is in the works.. by Ed and Dennis no less)

I've invested exactly 1402 hours, and that is only on my own account since i used to use my brothers before i got my own copy of the game. That's a lot, I've played with every civilization and have managed to get all but some of the BNW achievements :lol:

And quite frankly.. Civ 5 bores me now, I could go up and do beyond Prince but I don't like the feeling of frustration and careful manipulation of my moves so I can just win.

And quit efrankly, I actually have this feeling, I just want Civ 6 now. Which, hopefully will be better than Civ 5 let's be honest

I mean to this day we stil ldon't have Mod-support for MP which really surprises me.

But my question to you all is.. are you guys ready to move on?

I don't even think there's that many BNW total-conversions anyway, the modding aspect of the game is from what I hear quite laughable. It's very finicky and limiting.

But do people even want Civ 6? Would you guys buy it?

I'm ready to jump ship tbh.

You could also try Civ4. :mischief:

I would definitely buy Civ VI, though I'm increasingly moving to Paradox games with what limited free time I have. Civ V, with some of the mods made by the (remarkably brilliant) modding community, is still fun, but it's starting to get a bit dull for me too. It's definitely time for a new game with some new innovations - something that I trust the Ed/Dennis/etc. team will be able to bring to the table.

you played 1400 hours and it is just starting to get a little dull? That is impressive as hell that a video game managed to do that.

Yeah, I'm not sure I've clocked 1400 hours in any game. Maybe some game (Civ III?) back before they kept track of how much time you spent.

If you're bored of Civ V I'd suggest loading up Civ IV or Civ III :D

I find it odd that you are not going to move up from Prince and you want a new game because your bored at Prince?? I would be bored to tears if I was playing 1400 hrs on Prince! On my current account I have 2400 hrs with steam but I have played around 6000 to 7000 hrs total. Around 2000 hrs of MP. I would say that this game is a bit boring in general because they made it easier for a wider player base. Civ IV has more depth and much more challenge. When I first started playing Civ V, GK, and BNW I always started on Deity and worked my way down. I took my share of lumps but now I win almost every SP game I play.

I would say if the game is boring you... you need to move up in level and if you do not wish to move up perhaps you can try to use other openings like Full Piety and what not but on Prince it isn't going to matter anyway. How is another version of Civ going to interest you when you only want to play on Prince? Move up to Deity and learn how to win all the VC's and after you have 1400 hrs of that maybe it is time for Civ VI but in all honesty they are not going to make it as good as Civ IV so it might be better to move back to Beyond the Sword! Also once you get good enough to crush Deity every time... you can start to experiment with outside the box ideas and you can try to come up with your own strategies. One example of this is how I am messing about with Full Piety and using a Warmonger Combo with it. It is a lot harder than going Full Tradition but very viable. I actually have thought of going back to Civ IV myself since BNW is way the easier game.

Also you do not have to be careful to win on Deity since BNW. You are able to push the game to 325-375 turns and still win making many many mistakes which I am a prime example of playing fast and not being optimal and still winning.

I highly recommend the Community Balance Patch. Revamped happiness system, tech tree, policies, religions, leaders. The AI is much improved tactically as well.

Or you could just go beyond Civ and go Beyond Earth. :D

Don't forget the scenarios, I read some good review on scenarios included in BNW but don't have time to try them yet.

I'm not surprised you are bored if you are still playing at Prince. The AI is so hobbled it's incapable of developing itself or putting up any kind of challenge.

Do move up to King. It's regarded as the normal/equal level. You can still do pretty much what you like (except maybe for cutting out a few wonders) but it will be a whole lot more interesting as the AI can grow and develop enough to get into the game.

And yeah - I'll be buying Civ 6.

When I get bored by Civ, I just play something else. After a few months, I always come back. you should really raise the difficulty, it's a completely different game on higher levels.

To be honest, I would certainly buy Civ 6 but not at release. experience told me to wait at least year to buy a new Civ version.

You, sir, are mistaken.

:lol: I guess I was refering to just XML, I did forget about the actual masterpieces out there. my bad.

I guess I could crank it up to King and see how I do. But I do struggle to actually just find myself sucked in enough, I usually just end up quitting a game.

But this isn't about me being bored it's about wether or not we are ready to flip to a new game ;)

Prince shouldn't be considered challenging. Therefore it should really be that fun. Steam rolling the A I when they're on prince difficulty is like pushing a small child out of their stroller.

I play on Immortal, and deity if I'm feeling like a Dom victory. Broaden your horizons and at least try Emporer. Even that isn't much of a challenge.

I'm still very much addicted to the game. I play BNW and King or Emperor (depending on the Civ I'm using and the challenge I want).

Do you play multiplayer? I tend to enjoy those games more...the opponents are better and there's conversation if you want it.

I'd also suggest moving up a level...smashing every Civ with ease can be fun, but grows tired quickly.

I don`t change games because `It`s time to move on` because of other games. I change a game when I get tired of it whether in 1 , 5 or 10 years.

I don`t understand people who follow the crowd like sheep, I don`t.

And BE is crap, you`ll wish you were back on Civ 5 if you go there.

I don`t change games because `It`s time to move on` because of other games. I change a game when I get tired of it whether in 1 , 5 or 10 years.

I don`t understand people who follow the crowd like sheep, I don`t.

And BE is crap, you`ll wish you were back on Civ 5 if you go there.

I'm pretty sure Civ 6 has already sold before it's even announced :lol:

:lol: I guess I was refering to just XML, I did forget about the actual masterpieces out there. my bad.

I guess I could crank it up to King and see how I do. But I do struggle to actually just find myself sucked in enough, I usually just end up quitting a game.

But this isn't about me being bored it's about wether or not we are ready to flip to a new game ;)

Oh yeah, I'm not bored with CiV yet (becase of the aforementioned mods ^^), but if CiVI came out tomorrow I'd buy it instantly, despite CivBE being mediocre.

@OP: I was in your boat about 6 months ago. What I did was do something else and thanks to the ideas in these forums I started playing civ5 again. What I'd do is do the same and when you come back play on Emperor or Immortal.

I might not be the right example, but Im far to be bored yet... that said, I bought the game in june last year lolll A bit of a late adoptor! For any reasons, I spent so much time on Civ 2 back in the days that I didnt want to buy 3 4 5... but well... I finaly did!

But playing 5 years on PRINCE, I can understand you get bored. I palyed 1 game at chief, maybe 3 more at Prince in order to understand the mecanics, and I passed to King...

Now im playing Immortal, and my goal is to master it, and pass to Deity as soon as I can.
This is what keep the game interesting for me. Finding what i can improve in my game, fixing it, and then having the satisfaction of succeding at someting I couldnt do before.

If Prince level was the last level in the game, I can tell you I wouldnt be playing it neither! Even at King you can pretty do whatever you want and then pick the type of victory you want to acheive at turn 280, and then achieve it no matter what it is. You dont really need a strategy. Just build cities, units, wonders, grow cities and you win the game! Almost...

If you want to revive your interest in that game, I would strongly suggest you pass to King level, master it, shouldnt be long, and then Emperor! On emperor, game starts to be a bit more challenging!

I seem to win at diety - not at all fast - without careful manipulation. You just can't expect to wander aimlessly and expect to win. You won't be able to build and do everything and still wipe the floor with the AI.

Top Bottom