How good do you think the average Civ player is?

Athenaeum

Prince
There are people on here who supposedly play casually and win often on Deity. The game's description for the Deity difficulty however is that only the best players in the world will be able to beat it.

If you had to guess, what difficulty do you think the average Civ player could play comfortably on and win most, if not all of the time?

BQ: What is your comfortable difficulty?

If we confine ourselves to those active in the Civ V forums, the median would be Immortal with this forum having about as many players that often win at Deity to those that seldom with at Immortal.

Among those not active in any Forum, the average would be considerably less. In fact the steam achievements indicate most players haven't won on any level, but that would just indicate people who bought the game, tried it for an hour, but never completed a game.

among civfanatic forums it seems to be deity.

I would guess the average casual player who isnt on here is capable of winning on emperor but probably plays king more often as they can sandbox more

Im probably an average player in a lot of ways, i read guides, understand strategies etc, but forget things (such as my last game where i forgot i was trying policy saving and had been able to finish trad for 20 turns!) and can get sloppy when it comes to mid/late game when i just want to get on with it... im also pretty new with 2 weeks playing under my belt

I have 1 win immortal, generally play emperor though

I have a group of friends who play the game relatively average-ly (several of them are about 100 hours, one of them is about 300), and the ones who have played around 100 hours (iirc that was the average CiV play time?) are realistically at a Prince-King level. I think that seems about realistic, however by the time I was at 100 hours of CiV I was already at Immortal, due to playing Civ 2-4 before hand, and reading here, so I definitely think it depends on what context you're dealing with. Simplying participating in any forum for the game will make your play much much better, I would guess that would be the defining factor in good play, above play time to an extent; you can have had 500 hours in game and never pushed yourself and be King level, or you could be 200 hours in game and go on the forums, read strategies, etc.

I have 2 friends that play semi regularly. Both on them are astounded that I play and win on Emperor. Immortal and Deity are unimaginable to them.

The average of people that play actively (meaning removing people that played a few hours only) is probably around Prince from conversation I read here and on steam.

I definitely have not heard of anyone playing on lower than Prince, so I'd say the average is more around King, with the overwhelming amount of Prince players being balanced out by Emperor, Immortal, and Deity players.

I definitely have not heard of anyone playing on lower than Prince, so I'd say the average is more around King, with the overwhelming amount of Prince players being balanced out by Emperor, Immortal, and Deity players.

My meaning was that around Prince includes King :) Considering how bad the sample is the margin of error can easily include multiple levels ;)

most people play it for fun, and I think it's around prince, there's absolutely no pressure, and one gets to enjoy the game bashing the AI.

players on cfc are much more interested in the game and have considerable experience. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of people here have won on immortal

I find it very hard to believe that the average person on this forum beats the game on Deity. I see a lot of nonsense being posted on this forum that is completely inaccurate. My experience in MP would suggest that 80% of the player base plays around Prince-King level based on what I see them doing.

I find it very hard to believe that the average person on this forum beats the game on Deity. I see a lot of nonsense being posted on this forum that is completely inaccurate. My experience in MP would suggest that 80% of the player base plays around Prince-King level based on what I see them doing.

You can prop yourself up quite a lot in SP by simply stealing a bunch of workers and taking advantage of the fact that the AI can be baited to suicide all of its units.

It's hard to get an accurate grasp of what constitutes "average". The AI throws the game on itself quite a bit.

most people play it for fun, and I think it's around prince, there's absolutely no pressure, and one gets to enjoy the game bashing the AI.

players on cfc are much more interested in the game and have considerable experience. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of people here have won on immortal

Dont you think it gets boring very fast on prince though?

My very first game i played prince, but quit half way through when i sent my SOTL to war and found the AI didnt even have caravels yet...and i had no idea about the tech tree i was picking techs pretty randomly.

Having said that, after my one immortal win ive stayed on emperor, as venice the pressure to grab land wasnt there, i think i would feel 'pressured' on imm or diety with a normal civ...so do get what you mean

If we count all civ players, I think Prince or King. But on forum it's probably higher that that, Emperor for majority and Immortal and Deity difficulties for the rest, IMHO.

I can win diety and have done so once on civ 5 (on civ rev I always played diety), however I find that to win diety with certainty in civ 5 one has to think every single turn, something I am too lazy to do. My regular difficulty is King, it is quite a step-up from prince but you have more wonder flexibility than on emperor.

I can win diety and have done so once on civ 5 (on civ rev I always played diety), however I find that to win diety with certainty in civ 5 one has to think every single turn, something I am too lazy to do. My regular difficulty is King, it is quite a step-up from prince but you have more wonder flexibility than on emperor.

Having to optimize your game is what makes it fun. If you can just breeze through and win with no challenge I don't see the appeal. It would be like playing basketball vs a 10 year old over and over. Not fun, it's too easy.

There has to be a challenge and chance to lose if you don't play right in order for there to be fun IMO.

I have never won higher than King, but to be honest, I haven't tried very many times. I played Deity a couple of times just to see how insane it was, but didn't put a lot of effort into it.

I love playing Civ and I want to make sure I "enjoy" the experience. Going through all the micromanagement, and deep thought that is required at higher levels makes it feel more like "work" to me, so I just choose not to worry about it.

I am in awe of those that can regularly beat the game on Deity, but I also know I will never be one of those people.

Top Bottom