Rhye to present paper at 'Foundations of Digital Games' Conference

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator
In June this year at the 'Foundations of Digital Games' conference in California, Rhye, creator of the Civ4 mod Rhye's and Fall of Civilization, will present a paper entitled "Procedurally Generated History: building a game ecosystem through autoplay", which he has co-authored with Civ4 Lead Designer Soren Johnson. The abstract of the paper is as follows:
Generating interesting game worlds is an ongoing challenge within Procedural Content Generation (PCG). While the use of algorithms for automatically generating content could potentially bring many advantages, the content itself is often random and not well-crafted. In this paper we explore a potential solution to this issue by creating meaning through procedurally tracing a “history” of the game world while constructing it. We introduce a novel approach, called Procedurally Generated History (PGH), which consists of building a game world history through controlled autoplay. The resulting game ecosystem is expected to be engaging and balanced as hand-made content, while still preserving replayability. PGH was implemented in a modpack for Sid Meier’s Civilization IV. Tests with the modpack demonstrated the soundness and balance of the results of the PGH approach.

The conference runs from 22 June to 25 June in Pacific Grove, CA, and you can register for the event here. The 'Foundations of Digital Games' website notes that the conference "seeks to promote the exchange of information concerning the scientific foundations of digital games, technology used to develop digital games, and the study of digital games and their design, broadly construed."

I hope the paper makes a splash. I thought that RFC was one of the most unique mods I've come across any game, and that other developers could learn a lot from it.

Such as Firaxis.

Top Bottom