Rising Tide: How do you imagine the hybrid Affinities?

How do you think they will look like?

Maybe the leaders will have a little bit of both affinity in their clothes, appearance. We do know the devs describes the purity-supremacy society as one where humans are very purity and dominant but there is a computer/robot servant class. So perhaps a purity-supremacy leader would like very much like a pure purity leader but with an AI android next to them who obeys their commands.

The announcement mentioned "hybrid units and upgrades"; it doesn't say anything about a change to the appearance of the leaders or the way hybrid affinities already work. People are talking about it like they are new affinities, but as far as I can tell, it's just the addition of specific new units for having a hybrid affinity.

They mentioned that Purity/Supremacy is Humans with robotic servants. I suppose that Purity/Harmony will be Humans with alien pets.

Harmony/Supremacy is the real wildcard. I suppose that it's genetically modified humans with cybernetic implants.

Hybrid units should have interesting effects, but should overall be weaker than affinity-specific units for a given level of affinity. For example, a purity 13 unit should be stronger than a purity 7 + harmony 6 unit. This would reward players who still go for purely one affinity. Having only one set of techs is a lot weaker than being able to choose from two!

Yeah, but that being said, it wouldnt be that hard. Use the head from the dominant affinity and the clothes from the other (assuming it works like that)

I always imagined Affinities as spectrums with different interpretations. One Purity variant I liked to imagine was a conversion of alien life to earth life. That would fit a Putity/Harmony mix. Terraforming is still the goal, but instead of killing off wolf beetles, raptor bugs etc to replace them with cloned earth animals they get genetically modified to survive in an earthlike atmosphere and be a suitable food source. Purity-Harmony units could be hybrid animals with a different color scheme (more reddish brown than green) and/or life support systems like heavily armored xeno cavalry.

Hybrid units should have interesting effects, but should overall be weaker than affinity-specific units for a given level of affinity. For example, a purity 13 unit should be stronger than a purity 7 + harmony 6 unit. This would reward players who still go for purely one affinity. Having only one set of techs is a lot weaker than being able to choose from two!

That makes sense. The higher your affinity level, the more extreme and xenophobic the quotes become and it's easy to imagine those societies as more intolerant and militaristic. Mixed affinity civs already have more economic bonuses but weaker militaries.

I'm guessing a unit for Purity/Supremacy might be similar to the Harmony Minders ( I think it's the Xeon swarm?) But with Robots?

The hardest one I have time managing is the Harmony / Supremacy ...cyborg aliens?

How would Hybrid-Affinities be viable then? "Interesting effects" don't win you battles. ^^ And because of 1upt just having a stronger industry doesn't help either, because having "focused" power is very important.

I'm actually not sure if adding Hybrid-Affinities at the current time is a good idea anyway - at least when it comes to military gameplay. The system still needs a lot of work and just adding more options doesn't really change the fact that the armies are very basic and not that much different from each other - especially not in the early and mid game.

What I wonder is if it will make a difference if it is

Purity/Supremacy or

Supremacy/Purity

What I wonder is if it will make a difference if it is

Purity/Supremacy or

Supremacy/Purity

I don't know if that's going to be a thing. I have a feeling one ideology ends up dominating the other.

But to guess the reversal of the Purity / Supremacy. ( if you watch the 14ish minute video genetically pure humans with robot slaves, it's described as )

Where as supremacy/ Purity might be highly advanced machines / Cyborgs using humans as a slave class or it could be a society where both are accepted as equals.

A good question is if they are going to add new victory quests based on Hybrid affinities, like rebuild Earth's biosphere for Purity / Harmony.

A good question is if they are going to add new victory quests based on Hybrid affinities, like rebuild Earth's biosphere for Purity / Harmony.

From the interview something was mentioned. But it's not clear what.

I don't get the argument that going hybrid should be worse than going pure. Then why go hybrid at all, and if it is not viable, why even have the option?

I don't get the argument that going hybrid should be worse than going pure. Then why go hybrid at all, and if it is not viable, why even have the option?

Not worse, just less military focused. Pure affinities should get slightly stronger units to compensate for the wider range of passive bonuses and buildings you get for mixing.

Not worse, just less military focused. Pure affinities should get slightly stronger units to compensate for the wider range of passive bonuses and buildings you get for mixing.

I don't think so I think hybrids should have equal footing on a military scale, if not why bother with them in game?

If there was a diplomatic victory then maybe I could agree.

How would Hybrid-Affinities be viable then? "Interesting effects" don't win you battles. ^^ And because of 1upt just having a stronger industry doesn't help either, because having "focused" power is very important.

I'm actually not sure if adding Hybrid-Affinities at the current time is a good idea anyway - at least when it comes to military gameplay. The system still needs a lot of work and just adding more options doesn't really change the fact that the armies are very basic and not that much different from each other - especially not in the early and mid game.

There's a lot of flexibility to work with actually, because Firaxis made the wise choice of not hardwiring any kinds of "traits" to any particular affinity. It feels quite random that Supremacy got the best artillery, Purity got more levitating units, and Harmony got the best melee units.

The better economy that you will get with a hybrid affinity will allow you to research tech faster and produce more units.

For example, the current game when beelining for affinity techs gives you the following tendencies:
- Purity has strong production, culture, and health, but weak science and particularly weak energy.
- Harmony has strong energy, culture, and science, but weak health and particularly weak production.
- Supremacy has strong science, production, and energy, but weak culture and particularly weak health.

Hybrid affinities will allow you to get the best of two worlds early on. You must leverage these advantages to make up for military deficiencies.

But my wondering is Will these hybrids have their own uber units...

So, do you think we are going to get hybrid versions of the base units (you know infantry, ranged infantry, tanks, artillery, etc...)?

Top Bottom