PolyCast Episode 229: "Pushing Those Boundaries" with Derek Paxton

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Out there. The two-hundred-and-twenty-ninth episode of PolyCast, "Pushing Those Boundaries", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with returning guest co-host Derek Paxton, Lead Producer and Vice President of Digital Entertainment at Galactic Civilizations developer Stardock. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m45s | News
The first Civilization: Beyond Earth expansion pack Rising Tide has been announced, with additional details from gaming news media driving the assertion by some that it won't be the one and only.
- 16m27s | Interview
Comparisons and connections to Civilization only go so far in describing and exploring the depths of Galactic Civiliations III, the third turn-based strategy game set in space from game developer and publisher Stardock Systems. Lead Producer Derek Paxton discusses 64 vs. 32-bit game design; shifting from squares to hexes; the continuation of the non-linear technology tree in the series; influence of the non-linear technology tree's ages in, and on, gameplay; the power and diversity in the customization of factions and ships; diplomacy and its connection to both sandbox play and the technology tree, and reasons and hopes for introduction of multiplay into the series.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Animal sounds, camera shy and not following along.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Good episode, especially listening to Mr. Paxton (hello Kael :goodjob:).

It was also a relief to hear you softies go all edgy on the "Tech Trading" part. More of that, please! For example, when you touched upon the Rising Tide new diplomacy system; yeah, in vanilla it's broken, but you leave it at that!? C'mon, don't become as bland as the features you discuss here... and Rising Tide, the aquatic expansion? Where was the excitement or the disappointment? Is this the expansion you had hoped for? Etc. And MadDjinn, you definitely sound as if you have a lot more to say! Restraints?

But maybe PolyCast is not the show for that? Anyway, good show! Enjoyed listening to it :goodjob:

Good episode, especially listening to Mr. Paxton
:) -- thanks for listening.

It was also a relief to hear you softies go all edgy on the "Tech Trading" part. More of that, please! For example, when you touched upon the Rising Tide new diplomacy system; yeah, in vanilla it's broken, but you leave it at that!? C'mon, don't become as bland as the features you discuss here... and Rising Tide, the aquatic expansion? Where was the excitement or the disappointment? Is this the expansion you had hoped for?
Due to runtime, some of the CivBERT discussion was cut but is to be included in a future episode. While more information is needed to form a truly informed opinion, I believe there is measure of both cautious optimisim and concern... the latter being very much tied to execution.

Anyway, good show! Enjoyed listening to it :goodjob:
:king:

Hey DanQ,

I love the podcast, very entertaining, I wish it came out every week. I thought the BERT discussion was kind of short considering it has just been announced.

It's great to see you guys giving CivBE some love while you wait for your beloved Civ VI.

I tried listening to this episode this morning, but although it said Episode 229, it was a different episode that discussed developing alliances and blocs in the game. It also discussed some polls from outsiders doing research that were conducted in the forums.

After listening to the episode I went to take a look at Galactic Civ III and realized that it has even less players than BE. :( But I'm more interested in the cut-out segment about Beyond Earth... and more in-depth discussions about the expansion overall.

But... "CivBERT"? No... no, just no. Why? Nonono. No.

Hey DanQ,

I love the podcast, very entertaining, I wish it came out every week.
Thank you for listening, the support and encouragement. It has been some time since someone expressed a desire to see a new episode every week, and that sentiment is very humbling.

I thought the BERT discussion was kind of short considering it has just been announced.
As I noted above, extended discussion about CivBERT that was recorded was cut from this episode but is to be included on another.

It's great to see you guys giving CivBE some love while you wait for your beloved Civ VI.
We've returned to CivBE discussion because the expansion announcement has given us some new material to cover, and consider.

I tried listening to this episode this morning, but although it said Episode 229, it was a different episode that discussed developing alliances and blocs in the game. It also discussed some polls from outsiders doing research that were conducted in the forums.
Can you be more specific about where you saw the episode listed as #229 but heard a different episode? I have not been able to replicate steps from the links I've provided, the show's website or otherwise that would lead you to this.

After listening to the episode I went to take a look at Galactic Civ III and realized that it has even less players than BE. :(
Out of curiosity are you regarding this in the context of multiplay, more of a general disheartening, combination of both or..?

But I'm more interested in the cut-out segment about Beyond Earth... and more in-depth discussions about the expansion overall.
Indeed the cut segment will be released in a future episode, and more will be discussed about the Rising Tide expansion once made public.

But... "CivBERT"? No... no, just no. Why? Nonono. No.
Well, the acronym flows from Civ(ilization) + Beyond Earth + Rising Tide. We're not the first to use it though and I doubt we'll be the last. Hopefully it was at least worth the opportunity I took to joke about the title of a possible next expansion. :D

Can you be more specific about where you saw the episode listed as #229 but heard a different episode? I have not been able to replicate steps from the links I've provided, the show's website or otherwise that would lead you to this.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thepolycast

The show says "PolyCast Episode 229: Pushing Those Boundaries with Derek Paxton," but it starts out (after Makky's intro) with you saying "A composite show. Archive segments from previous episodes that got cut due to time."

https://www.youtube.com/user/thepolycast

The show says "PolyCast Episode 229: Pushing Those Boundaries with Derek Paxton," but it starts out (after Makky's intro) with you saying "A composite show. Archive segments from previous episodes that got cut due to time."
Oh... that was a mea culpa. :blush:

I had inadvertently uploaded the next episode of compiled fully archived segments (#232) which is not yet set to be released for a month! You and some others enjoyed an 'early access' preview, I suppose you could say. :lol: Then on top of that, it was labelled as Episode 229. Episode 229 has been uploaded, and Episode 232 removed for now.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Oh... that was a mea culpa. :blush:

I had inadvertently uploaded the next episode of compiled fully archived segments (#232) which is not yet set to be released for a month! You and some others enjoyed an 'early access' preview, I suppose you could say. :lol: Then on top of that, it was labelled as Episode 229. Episode 229 has been uploaded, and Episode 232 removed for now.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Cool, I got an advanced screening hearing of an unreleased episode! I actually know something before other people for a change. Usually I'm the last to know.

I'll have to listen to the real Episode 229 tomorrow.

Top Bottom