PolyCast Episode 229: "Pushing Those Boundaries" with Derek Paxton

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Out there. The two-hundred-and-twenty-ninth episode of PolyCast, "Pushing Those Boundaries", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with returning guest co-host Derek Paxton, Lead Producer and Vice President of Digital Entertainment at Galactic Civilizations developer Stardock. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m45s | News
The first Civilization: Beyond Earth expansion pack Rising Tide has been announced, with additional details from gaming news media driving the assertion by some that it won't be the one and only.
- 16m27s | Interview
Comparisons and connections to Civilization only go so far in describing and exploring the depths of Galactic Civiliations III, the third turn-based strategy game set in space from game developer and publisher Stardock Systems. Lead Producer Derek Paxton discusses 64 vs. 32-bit game design; shifting from squares to hexes; the continuation of the non-linear technology tree in the series; influence of the non-linear technology tree's ages in, and on, gameplay; the power and diversity in the customization of factions and ships; diplomacy and its connection to both sandbox play and the technology tree, and reasons and hopes for introduction of multiplay into the series.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Animal sounds, camera shy and not following along.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Really appreciated you guys managing to snag a developer of Gal Civ 3 for the podcast! Dan's questions where really helpful, and really sold me on their product. Looking to getting the game in the future. Thanks for this special podcast episode!

Really appreciated you guys managing to snag a developer of Gal Civ 3 for the podcast!
:)

It was great having Derek back on the show, and this time speaking in his capacity as one of the developers on GalCivIII.

Dan's questions where really helpful, and really sold me on their product. Looking to getting the game in the future. Thanks for this special podcast episode!
Thank you for listening, the kind words and for continuing to be apart of the show's audience. :cool: (I know you have been listening since at least Episode 192.)

Nice to see GalCiv3 discussed. I'll catch this one up on your Youtube channel tonight. Thanks for a great show.

That was a sweet ep, GalCiv3 definitely sounds worth picking up :)

One question does bother me though, is there a definite shift from history (Civilization) to a space sci-fi settings (BE, Starships etc), or that's just the current trend and stuff like Civ6 will be the best ever

Nice to see GalCiv3 discussed. I'll catch this one up on your Youtube channel tonight. Thanks for a great show.
:) -- enjoy the listen.

That was a sweet ep, GalCiv3 definitely sounds worth picking up :)
Glad you liked what you heard. :cool:

One question does bother me though, is there a definite shift from history (Civilization) to a space sci-fi settings (BE, Starships etc), or that's just the current trend and stuff like Civ6 will be the best ever
I don't see this as a shift but rather a growth: a return to extending the Civilization series (thinking Alpha Centauri) but more an extension of scope for 4X turn-based strategy gaming.

Very interesting show and has got me reading up on GC3. I think I will give it a go.

Thanks!

Top Bottom