The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #31 Midsummer special

Gustavus Rex

Prince
The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #31

Welcome to the Immortal Challenge Lineup!

Today I feel patriotic enough to post a second Sweden-map because today we celebrate the midsummer witch is the only remaining Swedish holiday that survived the evil desert-religion of death!

Enjoy!

ICL Game #31 - Sweden
Settings: Raging barbarians is turned ON + quick combat & quick movement
Map – Pangea
DLC - All DLC - map packs

Starting location:

Information & rules:

Spoiler :
All games in this series will be set to IMMORTAL difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change each game, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. New challenges in the series will be posted every other Wednesday.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play immortal games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Future Games in the Series
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com

Important
If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.
Links to all recent ICL-games:

All results gets documented in a spreadsheet by Consentient. To help him with his work, please use this headline tXXX victory-type in your finishing post. Example: t210 DV

Link to ICL Spreadsheet

Attachments

• ICL #31 Midsummer special.Civ5Save
    681.8 KB · Views: 117
T85 resign. The map is cool, though, so do play it. I just messed up :D

Spoiler :

I got the Pantheon for +1 food from camps, so the start was pretty good. I settled on the hill east of the truffles, and it's a very nice spot indeed. I forgot it was raging barbs, so I went Tradtition instead of Honour, which was a mistake, but it was going well nonetheless. Liberty would perhaps have been good as well, but at the time I had to choose I was not sure what to go for and went for the safety of Tradition...

I stole a couple of workers from the Celts, but my worries were right - I was thinking it might be hard to make peace with them since they were so close. They didn't really harass me, it was just the everlasting imminent danger of an invasion force that made me have to keep some units around my capital. Their unique units are pretty tough to deal with early-game.

I forwardsettled Denmark quite aggressively, although had I known it was their capital in the fog of war I wouldn't have done it - but the spot is really really strong. I hoped it was an expo and that they'd be more cool about it. The total of lots of barbs, two potential AI-fronts and trying to get some basic infrastructure up made me unready when Denmark attacked me, and I had no way of defending my city with what I had around. I can only blame myself for this, it was poor jugdement on my part. I had enough units to defend it, but most of them were in Stockholm.

I very rarely replay maps, so this will be my only try on this one. I do, however, recommend giving it a go. It's probably very strong for a domination victory if you don't do the silly mistakes I did. I just didn't commit enough to the map I'm afraid.

Takk for kartet og ha en fin midtsommersfest Gustav :)

T85 resign. The map is cool, though, so do play it. I just messed up :D

Spoiler :

I got the Pantheon for +1 food from camps, so the start was pretty good. I settled on the hill east of the truffles, and it's a very nice spot indeed. I forgot it was raging barbs, so I went Tradtition instead of Honour, which was a mistake, but it was going well nonetheless. Liberty would perhaps have been good as well, but at the time I had to choose I was not sure what to go for and went for the safety of Tradition...

I stole a couple of workers from the Celts, but my worries were right - I was thinking it might be hard to make peace with them since they were so close. They didn't really harass me, it was just the everlasting imminent danger of an invasion force that made me have to keep some units around my capital. Their unique units are pretty tough to deal with early-game.

I forwardsettled Denmark quite aggressively, although had I known it was their capital in the fog of war I wouldn't have done it - but the spot is really really strong. I hoped it was an expo and that they'd be more cool about it. The total of lots of barbs, two potential AI-fronts and trying to get some basic infrastructure up made me unready when Denmark attacked me, and I had no way of defending my city with what I had around. I can only blame myself for this, it was poor jugdement on my part. I had enough units to defend it, but most of them were in Stockholm.

I very rarely replay maps, so this will be my only try on this one. I do, however, recommend giving it a go. It's probably very strong for a domination victory if you don't do the silly mistakes I did. I just didn't commit enough to the map I'm afraid.

Takk for kartet og ha en fin midtsommersfest Gustav :)
That's literally what happened to me.
Spoiler :
Forward-settled on Denmark but he seemed preoccupied with hating England- I went peaceful and had traderoutes with the Celts, but come t84 she backstabs me- wouldn't have been a problem to fend off but raging barbarians have kept me preoccupied. Not sure there's much point in continuing.

//Bit of a shame as I have pre-80 oracle and NC. I might reload a few turns earlier and bribe my good buddy Bismarck. Kind of interested in the what-if scenario now.

Ok let's do this!

House rules:
Make no effort towards religion
Build no world wonders
Must get the SPMonarchy

t50

Spoiler :
Settled on the river hill south east on turn 2. Warrior went west, got an upgrade and stole a worker from Denmark on turn 9. Second and probably only self founded city, Sigtuna, got up n running on turn 35.

SP: Opened Tradition first, then 2 into honor to claim a GG i donated to a culture CS then headed back to Tradition to fulfill the third house rule before I go back to finish honor.

Tech: Archery, Animal Husbandry, Mining, Trapping, Pottery, Writing, Calendar....

BO Stockholm: Scout, Scout, Archer, Settler, Archer, Archer, Archer, Granary....

BO Sigtuna: Archer, Granary....

(Tradition/honor mix works fine for Sweden since their UA makes it easy to ally CS. If the map provides several culture CS you can easily dip into a second three. Usually I go for patronage before commerce though. Raging barbarians add a lot to the culture flow!)

t100

Spoiler :
The "no effort towards religion-rule" kept me from building a shrine so I missed out on Goddess of the hunt that would have made the location better. Nor happiness or gold is any problem so after Legalism I decided to go back to honor.

Boudicca dowed me at t80 and NC was finished soon afterwards. (I bougth a library in Sigtuna.) The celtic troops forced me to go for Construction and upgrade sooner then I planned... Now I have picked off her troops and taking shots on her capital. The units is fragile so her UU I'm taking it slow. The war earned me one more GG so far that went straight into a culture CS. There is a lot of them actually.

t150

Spoiler :
Celts capital conquered and my current plan for the main army is to war their way down towards London, taking Denmark on the way. Berzerkers have showed up so I will have to take it slow and Elisabeth will probably meet me with Long Bowmen... Pretty tough AI:s on the map.

Honor is full and I got Monarchy from Tradition. Now I will try to open and fill commerce before going for Autocracy. Patronage would have been a better third tree then Tradition. Might actually be better then commerce to at this point but I do want to unit spam in a bloody ate game!

t200

Spoiler :
I took Copenhagen and the world started to hate me... so now it's burning-cities-massacre-time! I'm two deep in right side commerce and thinking of going for three policies in patronage instead of finishing commerce... I'm friend with many city states but can't keep up with the others in making them my allies. Hard to tell with path that gives me the most happiness. I went for cannons instead of industrializations so my ideology is very late. Germany taken freedom.

Don't like that I didn't manage to scout Englands territory but I still plan to attack them next. There is no hurry. I want to have a fun tank-rampage in the later game. To bad my rules stops me from building Big Ben. I hope somebody else will so I can get i t that way!

t250 Zzzz

Spoiler :
Slooow!

I abandoned the conquering of London to defend against Russian and German forces. Culture flow is okey. Commerce got filled before autocracy. Since I'm going for a tank rampage I went to Public Schools before artillery this time. Terrain is slow and I wish I sent my troops to the east instead of west. Germany and Poland looks both pretty easy to take compared to England. Oh well... I'm taking a break here!

Finished this one on t253 with Domination. Thankfully, it's Immortal, so even with a Tundra start Honor Sweden, I was able to win. Spamming GG's for influence is actually very nice. Full Honor-PAtronage-Commerce. Interestingly, you can buy Landkenshefts and immediately upgrade them into Happelikta -- that's convenient. Caroleans are nice, but not as op as I thought. Almost no happiness buildings, as well. All happiness from policies and CS's.

This map would have been tons faster with Liberty due to large landmass and thin land passages. It took me forever to get down South because my workers were super slow. A slave worker was building a road to England half the game duration. :lol: And then Elizabeth didn't even research Dynamite, so that took forever.

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 128
I got bored and restarted without the rules. This time I did 3city honor/commerce with detour to rationalism and patronage before opening autocracy the last turns. After universities I built nothing but units.

Picture:

Spoiler :

I fell nothing but shame!

I'll post Nigels awesome Mongolia-map later today to purify my soul from this dirt!

I still have the Maya map to finish, plus this one, and the HoF culture one, so I think a Mongolian one right now would be too much for me personally. :O

yeah, I have the China Immortal map going now and I might start playing the current DCL as much as I dislike that particular civ, so perhaps you might push it back 2-3 days

T269 DV

Spoiler :

Since this is Sweden I've decided to try GP spamming strategy for the first time to win a DV. I have to say it has worked very well. I think I now like Sweden even better that Greece for DV ;)

The start was rather slow: I captured Edinburgh and later on I got Nottingham in a peace deal with Denmark. Initially I wanted to finish off Denmark but let them stay. By the way berserkers are quite powerful and I needed many XBs, several pikes and knights to slow them down. After that no more wars and continued peaceful GP spam :)

Freedom x3, full tradition and rationalism, patronage left hand side, a few in commerce.

Attachments

• sweden_icl_sun.jpg
    sweden_icl_sun.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 513
Next week would be great for Mongolia - I haven't quite finished Mayan yet... ;) Although I guess I already played my Mongolia map 1.5 times, haha.

Next week would be great for Mongolia - I haven't quite finished Mayan yet... ;) Although I guess I already played my Mongolia map 1.5 times, haha.

Thats what sucks most with rolling maps. Many times they are finished when the challenge part goes official. I managed to quit this in time even though I liked it a lot! :D

I'm trying to do something special with this map, a Domination win where I make no DoWs of my own. So far it's working and both Kilty Fishface and Daft Helmet have tried their luck and had their behinds handed to them. Other people are far away so I may try all manner of things to get them to DoW me in the Modern Era having built up some mean culture, but I would really love to be able to say 'Yup, won by DomV but never DoW'ed anyone'.

Yeah, interesting strategy :) There was a list somewhere of things to do to piss AI off. You can just pick the worst things and see if the hate turns into a war even if your army is strong.

Top Bottom