PolyCast Episode 235: "All Sorts of Consternation"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Being prepared. The two-hundred-and-thirty-fifth episode of PolyCast, "All Sorts of Consternation", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with first-time guest co-host Markus "GAGA Extrem" Grebe. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m00s | Open Mic
Details matter as comes about through comments from Episode 234.
- 08m34s | News
The good, the bad and the ugly about Civilization publisher 2K Games noting compatibility of recent titles for Windows 10 and with the announcement of Firaxicon 2015, let the comparing and contrasting begin (13m10s).
- 22m17s | Forum Talk
Staggered investigation of diplomacy in Civilization Beyond Earth: Rising Tide from shifting Strategic Resource trading to trade routes, applying a War Score Mechanic to open conflicts (36m21s) to just where is it in general (48m56s).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Livestream blockedstream and harmonic fallout.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Makkie explained that whole negativity bit really well and it kind of makes me happy to realize that it's the same way I interpret the show, or at least Episode 234, though it's generally Mad that's the most vocal regarding what stuff would and would not work when translated from an "idea" to "actual game feature".

In other words, when you say that something is a good idea but it wouldn't work because it would be exploited (I'd rather not open that whole can of worms again, i.e. what is an exploit and what isn't) as such and such, that's not negativity, that's just stating the obvious, we're gamers, we pretty much always do this sort of thing regardless of how thorough the testing process was. And I'm sure all of you know how incredibly difficult is to fix balance issues and prevent players from using one or few proven "play-2-win" strategies.

But that's not to say every idea is inherently bad, you made several really good insights concerning CivBERT but look at me talking about previous episode rather than the current one :lol:

I definitely support the idea of Mad doing a live stream from Firaxicon as a Polycast episode. Make that happen :)

Makkie explained that whole negativity bit really well and it kind of makes me happy to realize that it's the same way I interpret the show, or at least Episode 234... [..]
I certainly hope it's more than just Episode 234, but I catch your meaning. :D

In other words, when you say that something is a good idea but it wouldn't work because it would be exploited... as such and such, that's not negativity, that's just stating the obvious, we're gamers, we pretty much always do this sort of thing regardless of how thorough the testing process was.
Quoting myself in part from this episode, we gamers will go so far as to 'criticize the criticism' even.

But that's not to say every idea is inherently bad, you made several really good insights concerning CivBERT but look at me talking about previous episode rather than the current one :lol:
It's quite understandable that you're thinking of and speaking to Episode 234: the first topic of this episode, the one immediately after, engages with feedback from it. :)

I may Periscope some of it, depending on the Wifi availability/quality there.
Don't forget to take the jar of donated Internet cookies from Maki, Phil and myself. ;)

<3 Maddjinn he really steals the show. I would actually enjoy it if you guys were always this critical when talking about the game.

Top Bottom