PolyCast Episode 248: "Hug the Middle Ground"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Open embrace. The two-hundred-and-forty-eighth episode of PolyCast, "Hug the Middle Ground", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" and first-time guest co-host Mike "MikeDoubleU". It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m34s | Forum Talk
The case for adding three new Great People types to Civilization, a purported connection between game balance and modding (14m40s), a different type of consolation for loosing out on constructing a Wonder of the World and the notion that giving the series a Mature-rating would permit it to address more serious historical subject matter (25m05s).
- 30m56s | Research Lab
Questioning whether the use of tiles or hexes is "fundamental" to the Civ series.
- 44m00s | Miscellaneous
Rooted in the fifth iteration, but applying to the entire, franchise, is Civilization "educational" is the question posed by a content producer in their ongoing "Games as Literature" video series.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Allusions to another game on another channel and closing a disparity.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Another great episode.

----------------------------------

I'm not opposed to getting production towards associated buildings when you miss out on wonders. I've watched Quill18's playthoughs of Alpha Centauri and getting your production of 1 "wonder" transferred to another if someone else completes it... well that is probably a bit too strong compared to the gold payout.

I have general concerns about finding parody with some wonders and standard buildings. Similarly, what about Unique Buildings? While many of them are similar to the buildings they replace, this could get a bit tricky. I can't give any examples, but it sets a blip on my "design challenge radar" (because that is a thing).

Regarding the Research Lab segment discussing "Armies" in particular. I'll do some research, but can someone explain to me how military units worked in Civ IV, in terms of Stacks and how Unique Units fit into that?

For a new system of multiple units under one commander (or just grouped together), my basic design instincts tell me that there should be some form of "Army Size Cap", this is present in other strategy games that I'm aware of. And this cap could be increased over time, via tech (hopefully not directly by the tech), via Civ ability, via whatever equivalent of social policies/civics/virtues there is in the next Civ. (Because I'm fairly sure this is where a new system would be applied.) Additionally, some form of "Formation" system that tries to keep your archers and ranged units out of the immediate front would probably be a good idea. It does make me wonder how UUs would work under such a system, do they all get the same number of moves? Are they more effective in particular terrains or whatever? I have so many questions!

Either way, I think this is a noteworthy point of discussion and regardless of whether Civ VI goes 1UPT or MUPT it deserves be talked about.

Another great episode.
Gracias. :)

I have general concerns about finding parody with some wonders and standard buildings.
How so?

Similarly, what about Unique Buildings? While many of them are similar to the buildings they replace, this could get a bit tricky. I can't give any examples, but it sets a blip on my "design challenge radar" (because that is a thing).
I would include Unique Buildings in my consideration of Wonders of the World equivalents, insofar of course as it's tied to the civilization you're playing: for example, as Assyria fail to build the Great Library then get hammers towards the Royal Library.

Regarding the Research Lab segment discussing "Armies" in particular. I'll do some research, but can someone explain to me how military units worked in Civ IV, in terms of Stacks and how Unique Units fit into that?
See the related part of the Civilization IV Info Center here on CFC.

For a new system of multiple units under one commander (or just grouped together), my basic design instincts tell me that there should be some form of "Army Size Cap", this is present in other strategy games that I'm aware of.
In Civilization: Revolution it was exactly three units which, when combined, increased its overall strength but they could not be uncoupled afterwards. (See the related entry in the game's Info Center also here on CFC.) I think the option to uncouple an army should be possible under certain conditions, though for clarity the game would have to delineate or otherwise extrapolate what that would be. For instance, if injured significantly any 'less than 1' units in an equivalent calculation would be lost whereas they would not be if willing and able to wait for sufficient healing, up to and including full healing for a complete decoupling.

And this cap could be increased over time, via tech (hopefully not directly by the tech), via Civ ability, via whatever equivalent of social policies/civics/virtues there is in the next Civ. (Because I'm fairly sure this is where a new system would be applied.)
I agree with an army-size limit, distinguishable from a Stack of Doom (SoD) where units still share a tile but fight individually -- in this way, a la CivRev. I would like to see an army limit be variable too with some attachment to progression through a technology tree or web as you're getting at, though not only so attached.

[Would armies be] more effective in particular terrains or whatever?
To me this speaks in part to the type of units that would be able to combine into an army. Could it be multiple units of the same kind (e.g. Warrior) and/or type (e.g. Melee), at least one of a couple of types (e.g. Melee, Ranged), both or more? This consideration also speaks to the sum of an army's parts and what sould, and sould not, carry over in formation.

I would include Unique Buildings in my consideration of Wonders of the World equivalents, insofar of course as it's tied to the civilization you're playing: for example, as Assyria fail to build the Great Library then get hammers towards the Royal Library.

I'm just trying to see if there is any "weird" UBs that might cause a bit of oddity. Is there really a comparable building for every wonder? If not, I suppose that's just an excuse to make more buildings :3

See the related part of the Civilization IV Info Center here on CFC.

In Civilization: Revolution it was exactly three units which, when combined, increased its overall strength but they could not be uncoupled afterwards. (See the related entry in the game's Info Center also here on CFC.) I think the option to uncouple an army should be possible under certain conditions, though for clarity the game would have to delineate or otherwise extrapolate what that would be. For instance, if injured significantly any 'less than 1' units in an equivalent calculation would be lost whereas they would not be if willing and able to wait for sufficient healing, up to and including full healing for a complete decoupling.

My youtube searches are proving fruitless. I will definitely be checking that out.

I agree with an army-size limit, distinguishable from a Stack of Doom (SoD) where units still share a tile but fight individually -- in this way, a la CivRev. I would like to see an army limit be variable too with some attachment to progression through a technology tree or web as you're getting at, though not only so attached.

The main idea is that you can field larger armies as you progress through the game, not explicitly the technology construct.

Top Bottom