Deleting buildings

Kin

Chieftain
When and what to sell off? Can I sell market after getting bank? And others.:)

Well, that's not wise, and you couldn't do it anyway.

A market costs no maintenance. You can't delete buildings that cost no maintenance. Even if you could, there's no reason to do so. You still gain gold from the market.

What you can do, however is delete your constabularies in your non capital cities once you build police stations, and then delete your police stations once you build the National Intelligence Agency. No reason to pay maintenance for something that's never going to be used because no one is going to steal from your 8 pop expansion. Furthermore, I find those buildings counterproductive to my game plan, which is to let people steal from me so I can level up my spies.

Barracks after you get the heroic epic. You won't be producing military units in all of your cities so there's no point in paying maintenance on all of them.

Amphitheaters are a total waste and the only reason to build them is because opera houses need them. So if you need the opera house, you can safely delete the amphitheater after that. The +1 culture is minuscule, and you won't really be storing any great works of writing in them anyway. You already have 4 slots in Heroic Epic, National Epic and Oxford, but it's better off to bulb the great writers anyway.

Common practice during war is to sell off buildings from razing cities.

Honestly this is the only experience I have with the mechanic. I never build something I don't expect to need and thus never want to sell any buildings later. Someone mentioned constabulatories and police stations in non-best-science cities? Don't have that problem because I'm never going to build those in cities that don't have my highest science output. I usually try to make my highest science city my capital so that selling my embassy means the AI sees the potential and sends spies there. Then I level up all my spies killing them. late-game it means very effective stealing and City-State election rigging.

it's better off to bulb the great writers anyway.

Great writers don't bulb, lest you forget. Scientists do however. You can inkwell a writer? Just take a look at the actual icons of the units in game and you'll see the error in your ways. Cheers!

Barracks after you get the heroic epic. You won't be producing military units in all of your cities so there's no point in paying maintenance on all of them.

This sounds good in practice but in reality if I actually wanted to get heroic epic, I'm very likely going for Autocracy domination anyways and barracks will equal 2 happiness, and in that case I'll build all 3 military buildings anyway so that I can rush buy/build in every cities. Of course if you're really aiming for maximum promotion you should only rush buy in city with Heroic Epic and Brandenburg gates but then again it's just a preference.

Great writers don't bulb, lest you forget. Scientists do however. You can inkwell a writer? Just take a look at the actual icons of the units in game and you'll see the error in your ways. Cheers!

This is just nitpicky, everyone knows what he means.

No reason to confuse people into thinking that you can't just instantly get culture from a GW, ie: "bulb"

Bulb - To acquire a technology instantly by using a Great Scientist, but also commonly used to describe the act of triggering the special ability of any Great Person (e.g., "bulb" a Great Artist to start a Golden Age, "bulb" a Great Engineer to hurry production of a building or wonder).

For more acronyms and commonly used terms, see this War Academy article: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=540944

In some domination games, I rush bombers, finish commerce, get autocracy and build big ben (also get +1 science from TP). Usually after I finish commerce and start TP spamming puppets, I delete production buildings. When you get close to +400 gold per turn and +1 science per TP, you don't need production at all or new science buildings. You don't even need to grow tall anymore and can delete some of those buildings if you want to.

In Science games that I take freedom I will sell every building I can each turn closer to victory to get the last bits of gold needed to buy all my spaceship parts in one turn. It's hard to time it all right, so sometimes I will be a few hundred short and selling Research labs, factories, schools, universities, and anything else that nets me more than 50 gold when I only have a few turns left to win will get me there a few turns faster.

I use EUI which tells me how much I can sell them for, but I think without EUI it still tells you when you right click how much you get. I don't know of a list that tells how much each is worth, if there is I would like it. I never build NIA, so removing constabs and po-po stations isn't something I've ever done, but I would if I did. And I do the same thing of letting level 1 spies kill people in the capital and then sending them out to coup city states at 85% success rate once you get above 65 influence.

amphitheater is more expensive and comes at a time when you are building many other things, so I would probably wait and let it be my free building too rather than selling the monument. Monuments are cheap to build and don't give you much gold for selling.

Sell your self-built monument (s) the turn you get legalsim
So you trade +1 culture for +1 gold? That is pretty bad in my opinion, out of all the yields, in the early game, gold comes last. If you factor in the hammer cost it becomes even worse, since you basically waste a lot of the advantage of legalism (the free hammers).

I have sold buildings a few times in the last few turns when a science victory is a close race.

I rarely sell buildings in my founded cities. Since you asked, it triggers a thought: My capital usually gets the majority of great people from scientist/engineer/merchant pool, but just about every other riverside/lakeside city gets one, and only one, during the course of the game. If it's a food-rich city, I'll often plan ahead and get the garden, often as something to cue before education, and as the capital, with garden, NE, and all other bonuses spits out scientist after scientist resetting to 0, the other cities will build and build towards the ever-increasing limit, and will trigger once, and fortunately it's always a scientist, and almost a bonus one. After that city triggers, I should really sell the garden as there's no possibility it will trigger again.

Top Bottom