PolyCast Episode 250: "There Was This Thing"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
With the stuff. The two-hundred-and-fiftieth episode of PolyCast, "There Was This Thing", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with first-time guest co-host Connor "cpm4001". It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m12s | Forum Talk
A so-called "peacekeeping" measure as exercised in Civilization V is given due; then, taking in suggestions from the Civ community for a second Beyond Earth expansion pack (09m11s; recorded for Episode 247).
- 16m07s | Research Lab
Steps forward and steps backward for having cities gain experience through combat in a would-be Civilization VI.
- 22m18s | Open Mic
A detailed follow-up following an extensive consideration on a comprehensive subject: Civ empire management; then, recognizing a written exchange between a panelist and a listener in response to another previous episode (40m11s; recorded for Episode 249).
- 45m40s | Miscellaneous
Acknowledging a long-running viewed and contributed-to challenge series for Civilization V (recorded for Episode 248), an in-progress effort to bring the original Civ to an 8-bit computer has been revealed (49m56s) and a collection of desired achievements for CivV (51m25s).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Resetting a counter, inappropriate realization and permission being given.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Really enjoyed this episode. Lots of strategy talk...

I for one am an orbital whore... at least the civilian sats anyway. They are cheap and effective for spamming food and production sure, but the real reason I deploy so many is to get the resource spawns. You can pretty much make all your cities as strong as your capital. It takes a little longer to get to the production sat in the web, but by that time all my food is rolling pretty good and I can focus on the production. And once you are happy with the resources, the culture sats are huge boosts. Sure the graphics start to glitch after you have 50 or so in the air, but it's worth it! People who enjoy racing to the end will not find them as useful, naturally.

The military sats on the other hand I don't find as useful. A battle front doesn't stay in one place long enough for them to get more than a couple of strikes in. They really need to be mobile to be effective. Mobile orbital nukes for the win! :banana:

Thinking about it, making all sats mobile (say 1 hex a turn) would really enhance their usefulness and provide them with another level of strategy.

Top Bottom