Egypt - Cleopatra Thread

nunor

King
Update:
New video on Egypt

---
So Cleopatra is confirmed as the leader of Egypt.

Language spoken in leader screen: Coptic

Agenda: "Queen of the Nile" - she likes powerful militaries and will try to ally with them

"Cleopatra likes me because I've been building up my army to take out that barbarian camp, but if you don't have a powerful military, she won't give you the time of day. Later, when my army loses forces facing the barbarian camp and I explore too close to her border, our relationship declines. She especially gets mad once I meet and stay on friendly terms with Teddy Roosevelt, whom she dislikes. Rumors and gossip show up about leaders throughout the game; this new system gives you more information to react to and plan your decisions around."

UU: Chariots (probably)

Sources:
- http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...ve/2016/05/25/making-all-the-right-moves.aspx
- https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/25/cvilization-vi-hands-on-preview/

Well, at least they used Coptic. Still pissed they used a woman who was responsible for Egypt being absorbed by Rome.

Oh, and using a Greco-Egyptian rather than an ancient Egyptian leader.

Actually no. But w.e.

I'm glad of this. Really looking forward to looking at her leaderscreen

Well - I don't understand Coptic, so modding all the dialogue and in game text to make her Hatshepsut should do the trick.

Seriously. Why are people so salty about Egypts leader in particular. Cleo was my 2nd choice but I kind of guessed she'd be in this time as she wasn't in civ5

I can understand the historical flavor miss, but Civilization has never really gone the path with 100% historical accuracy.

I'm geniunely not bothered, a leader is a leader.

Well, at least she's actually speaking Coptic instead of Egyptian Arabic this time, but with 4000 years of Egyptian pharaohs to choose from why did they have to choose a Greek? Maybe they should choose Washington as the great leader of the Iroquois, or maybe Victoria can be the great leader of India. :rolleyes:

Well, at least she's actually speaking Coptic instead of Egyptian Arabic this time, but with 4000 years of Egyptian pharaohs to choose from why did they have to choose a Greek? Maybe they should choose Washington as the great leader of the Iroquois, or maybe Victoria can be the great leader of India. :rolleyes:

Or Alexander as the leader of the Greeks?

Cleo was not 'greek' by any stretch at that point. Yes from the lineage, but not genetically (realistically) at that point.

Plus, your sarcasm needs work.

Cleopatra did actually rule Egypt. Washington did not rule 'the Iroquois'. Vicky was the Empress of India.

:goodjob:

Seriously. Why are people so salty about Egypts leader in particular. Cleo was my 2nd choice but I kind of guessed she'd be in this time as she wasn't in civ5

According to CivFans the Ptolomeic period somehow doesnt count as part of Egyptian history or something. And somehow being the last ruler after your family ran the country for 200 years somehow is just the same as Indian Isabella

Ooo, that's a can of worms, eh? :crazyeye:

According to CivFans the Ptolomeic period somehow doesnt count as part of Egyptian history or something. And somehow being the last ruler after your family ran the country for 200 years somehow is just the same as Indian Isabella

More like Indian George VI.

If we want to go even further down this road, Isabella I wasn't technically "Spanish". She was Queen of Castile; Spain as a single, unified entity would not exist for another two hundred years.

Bit iffy on the choice of Cleopatra but the use of Coptic instead of Egyptian Arabic is a step forward (though Ramesses had a cool voice all things considered).

I'm actually quite happy with this. Yes, I'd have preferred Hatshepsut but I really love that they've come up with an agenda that fits her historically. Also, a *much* better choice of language. Ramesses and his Arabic was one of the most lolwut aspects of CiV for me (even worse than Boudicca speaking Welsh!)

After seeing Teddy I'm also feeling much happier about the standard of the leader screens (though hopefully we'll get to see a proper background/environment rather than just the bland logo, which I assume is because this wasn't an actual in-game screenshot). Looking forward to seeing how they've done Cleopatra.

Cleo was not 'greek' by any stretch at that point. Yes from the lineage, but not genetically (realistically) at that point.

The Ptolemies deliberately interbred to avoid contaminating themselves with Egyptian blood; she was 100% Greek. If Cleopatra was Egyptian because her ancestors had been in Egypt for a couple hundred years, then by the same logic George Washington was Native American. Again, they had 4000 years of Egyptian pharaohs to choose from; there was no need to resort to a Greek who presided over the civilization's collapse.

Top Bottom