What do you think about graphics of the game? (poll)

On a scale 1-10, I think graphics of Civ6 is...

• 1 - beyond redemption and I'm not buying the game because of it

Votes: 8 2.7%

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 3 - so ugly they must have done it on purpose

Votes: 21 7.2%

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 5 - as ugly as all 2K games recently, but thankfully, I don't play them for graphics

Votes: 20 6.8%

Votes: 32 10.9%
  • 7 - not going to the Louvre but I like it

Votes: 83 28.3%

Votes: 64 21.8%
  • 9 - really fantastic and I'm positively surprised

Votes: 51 17.4%
  • 10 - the new standard for quality of graphics in modern games

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Makavcio

Prince
Look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology!
Namely, I'm trying to create a poll and because I have no idea how it's done, this thread may need to be deleted. Bear with me for a moment.

Hey, it's been a while since I posted here and I don't really know what's up in the community. All the same, I've seen the new Civ and I believe it's the new low in graphics for 2K/Firaxis, even when compared to Beyond Earth and UFO/XCOM, including their latest cartoon network-styled punk outfits dlc. What do you people think? I'm personally strongly considering voting against this cartoonish direction in graphics with my wallet.

I voted a 7. I prefer to consider the graphics on its own merits, rather than to compare it to other games (in the franchise). (To me) It's not beautiful, but it's not ugly and, personally, I find the leaderscenes to be rather pleasant, in that they are interesting and amusing to look at (at least, walrus Teddy is :lol:). Like a lot of others (from what I've seen), I was at first taken aback by the intial screenshots, but this was a gut-reaction to what I had probably expected to be a more realistic version of Civ V (maybe Total War style). Having gotten over that, I no longer have any qualms with the style (seeing it in gameplay, and the colours toned down, certainly helped in this respect).

Besides, to me, this means civ VI doesn't immediately displace Civ V in the way that I feel Civ V did IV (part of this is probably having never played Civ IV extensively). Which is excellent for a modder still finishing his works :D

Though I admit the unit styles, particularly the beefy Swordsman, still bothers me a little (as they remind me of the horrid Empire Earth III), but probably Archers will be OP again anyway, so I'll never need to see them :p

After first screenshots I would have voted 3, after seeing gameplay video I vote 7 or 8. Funny...

I changed my mind after seeing the gameplay video. The graphics looks pretty nice, esp. if you get used to it. It looks better than Civ 4 and it is diffrent than Civ 5; yeah I expected something else in this respect; but overall it looks good enough. And the game feels good. There might be a lot more benefits like performance or modding posibilities etc. The game will be great. I can already feel it.

That was before the gameplay videos, AFAIK. And the gameplay videos seem to have changed a fair number of opinions.

Fair enough. I'd just suggest the OP to change the title to "post-gameplay video poll" or something.

At first I didn't like it, but after seeingthe gameplay videos I'm actually quite happy with the graphics.
They could tone down the colourfullness just a tad (there's an edited screenshot which did that) but all in all I think it looks great.

It's fine. The UI art styles is strongly reminescent of Civ Rev, with some hint of Age of Wonders III due to the mixing of serif and sans serif fonts.

So far the odd-numbered Civ games appear to have their own art style built from ground up, while even-numbered Civ games are more like collages combined from existing materials - in Civ6's case, the inspiration seems to come from Apple's UI style that mimics real life objects (e.g. those iOS app that resembles leather bound notebooks).

I still think Civ2 looks the classiest among the even-numbered games. Its inscribed Times New Roman letters, and clever use of stock photos and footages gave it an appearance of an interactive encyclopedia.

I actually quite like the graphics. They were a shock to begin with, but after seeing them in action I think it's an immensely readable style that still looks good and attractive. Civ V was beautiful (provided you could run it at high settings), but looking at some of the comments following Civ VI's announcement, you'd believe that realism had always been central to Civ's graphical style. You only need to look back to Civ IV to see that's not the case.

It also seems a bit odd to criticise a game for being cartoony and unrealistic when your units tower over the cities :p.

In my opinion graphics are simply awful. Civilization was always about serious thing - building an empire. It was also not about building some fantasy elvish empire, but a recreation of the human civilization. That's why I really hope someone will make a realistic graphics mod, because right now I don't think I'll be able to play it and have fun. Because my first reaction to screenshots and video was - "WTF!?"

Of course - graphics are not the most important thing in Civilization games - true. But I don't think I would play the game with the best AI if it had 8-bit graphics. Or serious WWII simulator with cartoonish outlook. I loved Civ V graphics and I hoped Civ VI will look similar or even better. And I was very heavily disappointed.

The colors in the video look a lot better than those in the Screenshots. And the shadows actually point in a slightly different direction - which really makes me wonder whether they toned down the colors a bit or whether the screenshots are just taken during the brightest phase of the day.

But either way, the video-version looks great, UI is slim and beautiful, and the fog effect, while possibly stolen from At the Gates, is a great idea.

The video's show off the graphics much better than the screenshots

I liked the graphics before the videos, and I still like them. Went with a 9/10.

Voted 8

Just because of what it tries to do. It is not getting in the way of my experience. And shows what it wants you to see. It is all very readable.

Does it look pretty? Not really. But the game will still be played many years from now like civ 5. While many games that have better graphics dont age well at all. This game will be played decades from now if it is as good as civ 4.

I must say it is a bad move from 2k to show the 3 screenshots along with the announcement. Without the gameplay video from this week. Should have waited couple of weeks more to avoid the outrage among the community. Seeing the screenshots without gameplay.

makavcio:
Talk about judging a book by it's cover..
You don't buy it because it's look even after reading about all the mechanics and improvements? You prefer graphics over gameplay in a strategy game? Guess Civilization isn't a franchise for you.

I think the graphics are good. Especially after the videos.

Rohirrimelf: I agree that 2k should replace the old 3 screenshots with new ones like the beautiful Oracle wonder.

Talk about judging a book by it's cover..
You don't buy it because it's look even after reading about all the mechanics and improvements? You prefer graphics over gameplay in a strategy game? Guess Civilization isn't a franchise for you.

I think the graphics are good. Especially after the videos.

To be fair, no one would expect a complicate history contents if the cover was full of elves and dwarves. This is the thread that asking everyone to judge the proverbial cover of Civ 6 anyway. :rolleyes:

I am hopeful about the game's mechanics. But we actually don't really know much about mechanics of the game at this point...

I voted 6. The graphics in the gameplay videos don't strike me as pretty - particularly the trees and forests are still a major issue - but at least the colours in the videos looked proper compared to those horrible screenshots, and the overall impression was fairly good.

Top Bottom