New City State Info

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator
Looks interesting!

Hattusa as a CS means the Hittites are not in.

Cinnamon and cloves are in as resource (maybe city-state specific). The innerline color represents probably the city-state type: yellow ==> commercial city state, white ==> religious city state and blue ==> scientific city states. These are probably the same colour with the yield related and the districts related.

I wonder what Amenities mean

As far as I read in other threads it is the new system of (local) happiness.

Also strategic resources still have quantities.

...maybe city-state specific...

The text says that these luxuries cannot be earned any other way in the game.

Whether that means they are only provided by Zanzibar or that there are potentially several city-states that reward those resources is not clear (to me at least).

Also noticed two more eureka targets:
- improve 3 tiles
- build any district

No detailed info about the source of envoys other than quests.

It's how happiness is called.

You can spend Gold to CONTROL Military Units in City States during war! Yay.

I like this new system, gives more incentive to ally with other types of city states.

They seem to have specifically called it "Jerusalem/Hattusa/Zanzibar" Unique bonuses as opposed to "Militaristic" so it's pretty exciting.

They seem to have specifically called it "Jerusalem/Hattusa/Zanzibar" Unique bonuses as opposed to "Militaristic" so it's pretty exciting.

They have generic bonuses of their type (religion. science and gold), plus unique bonus for ally.

You can spend Gold to CONTROL Military Units in City States during war! Yay.
You beat me to it. So much win!

I also like the unique bonuses. It seems Firaxis is trying hard to add uniqueness to a lot of things which were generic in Civ5. First Great People, now this.

There are the bonuses of X something in capital, X something in district, another X something in district. There is also a regular "suzerain" bonus (ally with the CS) and in addition there is the unique bonus for each CS. Nice, so you need to ally with Jerusalem for it to be sort of holy city for your religion, not conquer it...
By the way - I wonder if there will be an option after conquering a CS to leave it free with you as "suzerain" (at least for X turns). Sort of "gunboat diplomacy".

There are the bonuses of X something in capital, X something in district, another X something in district. There is also a regular "suzerain" bonus (ally with the CS) and in addition there is the unique bonus for each CS. Nice, so you need to ally with Jerusalem for it to be sort of holy city for your religion, not conquer it...
By the way - I wonder if there will be an option after conquering a CS to leave it free with you as "suzerain" (at least for X turns). Sort of "gunboat diplomacy".

There's only one thing that I'm let down by, it states that you have to FOUND a religion inorder to benefit from Jerusalem.

In once again suggests that no formal "State Religion" system is in play like Civ 4. Which worries me a little bit. I'm fine with Cities having a majority religion but I also want to declare "Religion X" my official state religion and gain benefits from it, and have influence diplomacy to a great level.

Unique bonusses are quite interesting:

Hattusa: provides you with 1 of every strategic resource you have revealed but do not own.

Jerusalem: automatically converts to the religionyou founded and exerts pressure for that religion as if it were a holy city

Zanzibar - 2 unique resources for amenities - like the former UA of Indonesia provided...

looks very promissing - Good incentives to invest into CS-relations... :)

I also saw in the first screenshot, that Hattusa is possibly a Scientific City State, as its bonuses retain to that of Science. So we may be getting more City State types (yaay!)

Interesting mechanics! Sounds promising. Zanzibar probably means no Kilwa sultanate in the game though :(

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

This all looks great! Envoys, controlling their armies with gold (suzerain), unique bonuses, more than 2 bonus tiers, color-coded borders (love this -- types will be easier to spot)... so much good stuff.

I learned a new word today too; woot! ("Soo-zer-en")

Also, each CS looks like they can hold a lot of quests; the ones pictured have 6 each.

I wonder if influence can be gained in other ways, such as intimidating the CS with a powerful army nearby. It would be fun to still have tributes which can be demanded and such, and a much better pledge-to-protect system than there was in Civ5. Actually... scratch that. The article says that things have been streamlined, so it's probably mainly focused on envoys.

Also, I'm curious if those unique suzerain bonuses for each CS are truly unique to every CS in the game, or if they're assigned from small pools of bonuses that each type can have. As in, Jerusalem rolled unique bonus #2 out of the 3 different suzerain bonuses that religious CS can have. Though, cinnamon and cloves are pretty accurate for Zanzibar, so perhaps they really are unique.

Also, it looks like they're continuing to roll with gold's yield value equaling about half of the other ones.

EDIT:

Those slingers look pretty cool too; first time I've seen them.

EDIT 2:

On top of the interface, it looks like stone and wheat are quantified, just like strategics! I wonder what new systems have been created. I'm not sure what that other one is, between the wheat and horse icons. Could it be a luxury (tea)? That bar would fill up pretty fast; though, there is a ton of space up there.

I think the unique bonuses are fantastic! Some city states are highly desirable allies, while others are not - but this will change from game to game. Didn't found a religion? No reason to really bother with Jerusalem... but a religion-focused player might go to war over influence there.

I also like the fact that you can't see city state quests unless you have an envoy present. This is a great change from Civ V, where without paying attention to city states at all I would always find myself with a handful of allies - just because some of them spit out tech or culture quests, or targeted a barbarian camp near my capital. Now it seems like you will have to invest into a specific city state to get these kinds of rewards. Great change!

Looks as if one of the City States has a Scientific District (Campus). Wonder if that will increase their bonuses as they build buildings?

Do we know how envoys are gained? Are they units that you build? Do the exist on the map or do they work like diplomats and spies? Are there any limited amount of them like trader riutes? Or are the just created fir a gold per turn cost?

Really like the 4 levels of benefits (as opposed to 2)
1 envoy
3 envoy
6 envoy
Suzreign (probably has to have both most envoys and 6)

There's only one thing that I'm let down by, it states that you have to FOUND a religion inorder to benefit from Jerusalem.

In once again suggests that no formal "State Religion" system is in play like Civ 4. Which worries me a little bit. I'm fine with Cities having a majority religion but I also want to declare "Religion X" my official state religion and gain benefits from it, and have influence diplomacy to a great level.

You did have a "state religion" whatever religion the majority of your cities followed.. it gave effects to tourism and bonuses to CS (If I was majority X and so was the CS influence declined slower)

Do we know how envoys are gained? Are they units that you build? Do the exist on the map or do they work like diplomats and spies? Are there any limited amount of them like trader riutes? Or are the just created fir a gold per turn cost?

As for envoys...

It seems you can earn them in a CS by fulfilling quests (essentially they are a measure of your influence)

I'm guessing envoys that you choose which CS to add it to are limited.. possibly like spies (certain techs/civics give them)

I could see a "diplomacy district" for generating Envoys..which could also be a type of Great person
(You might also use envoys as diplomats/spies against major civs)

and it appears that the CS have a district of the type of CS they are Hattusa=Campus, Jerusalem=Holy Site

Tribute seeking/pledges Could be improved in tandem... so that tribute seeking is a worthwhile activity, and pledges are higher cost higher benefit (1 bonus envoy...but you can only pledge if you have an envoy.. and if you don't publicly denounce/declare war on the tribute seeker you lose 2/3 envoys.)

Top Bottom