PolyCast Episode 257: "Now Streamlined"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Interpretation ambiguity. The two-hundred-and-fifty-seventh episode of PolyCast, "Now Streamlined", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" with returning guest co-host Jason "MegaBearsFan" Grade. It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 03m21s | News
Envoys and more on Civilization VI City States is followed by a panelist's first take on what has been revaled about the game (13m21s) and what to expect to come about from E3 2016 (27m47s).
- 30m39s | Open Mic
Bringing up feedback from Episode 256 is followed by the comparable same for Episode 254 (35m22s) and Episode 243 (41m05s; recorded for Episode 254).
- 47m45s | Miscellaneous
Laughing it up with "Dibs on the Ruins" (recorded for Episode 248), "We Love the King Day" (49m53s; recorded for Episode 251) and "CivV in a Nutshell (51m50s; recorded for Episode 253).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Caffeine consideration, circular momentum, ticket to ride and presumptive bundling.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

In regards to the discussion about Diplomacy in MP.

It has always bugged me that you could not denounce a player. While it has no affect on the player, if you somehow play with the (nonexistent) AI in Civ 5 in MP, your relationship would be affected if you the human was allied with the AI and you denounced the human, would mean the AI would now like you less because of it.

In addition, I think "intrigue" and "gossip" would make sense. We already can figure out that the human player can build wonders and we got those notifications, and I see no reason why we shouldn't get information otherwise.

The only issue would be surprise attacks, but I feel that there's ways, for example, you could go into "Preparing for War" which would give you a discount on units or something, and a small bonus against the other human player (give or take, for balance reasons) when declaring war, but as a result, the other human player risks discovering of your plots.

Thanks for inviting me to guest-host! I had a good time. I hope I get another invite soon.

I wrote a follow-up blog to this episode. I wanted to try to clarify my concerns with the civic system, since I had some trouble expressing my worries in the actual recording. Not sure if the actual civic discussion made it into the final recording though... It wasn't really something that I was expecting to talk about in length, so I didn't really take time before recording to organize my thoughts regarding it.

Anyway, for anyone who's interested:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2016/06/12/Guest-host-on-PolyCast-257.aspx

The big point I was trying to make was that I hope the civics offer enough variety of useful options that there doesn't end up being a civic equivalent of Civ V's Tradition and Rationalism policy trees. A day or two after I wrote the blog, Ed Beach showed some extended video footage at E3 that had some really good content in it. It also both alleviated my concerns and validated them at the same time. While most of the civic options that were shown looked good, the diplomacy ones looked a little "meh". But maybe I just don't really understand how the envoy system is supposed to work, and so maybe these options aren't as mechanical as they first appear to be?

And here's a link to Ed Beach's E3 video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88bmqKrbu0

Oh, crap - called out by Dan. :lol:

For the record, the boyfriend likes the Renaissance (spelled it in one go!) best because he can cross the oceans and go explore other continents then. Plus, he feels like he's really stable and settled by then and can go forward with his gameplan.

Call out answered!

____

I also want to hear folks trying to sing the Polycast sometime. :crazyeye:

____

Thanks for inviting me to guest-host! I had a good time. I hope I get another invite soon.

Yeah, invite Bear back. And me. I'm a bear, too.

I wrote a follow-up blog to this episode. I wanted to try to clarify my concerns with the civic system, since I had some trouble expressing my worries in the actual recording. Not sure if the actual civic discussion made it into the final recording though... It wasn't really something that I was expecting to talk about in length, so I didn't really take time before recording to organize my thoughts regarding it.

Anyway, for anyone who's interested:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2016/06/12/Guest-host-on-PolyCast-257.aspx

The big point I was trying to make was that I hope the civics offer enough variety of useful options that there doesn't end up being a civic equivalent of Civ V's Tradition and Rationalism policy trees. A day or two after I wrote the blog, Ed Beach showed some extended video footage at E3 that had some really good content in it. It also both alleviated my concerns and validated them at the same time. While most of the civic options that were shown looked good, the diplomacy ones looked a little "meh". But maybe I just don't really understand how the envoy system is supposed to work, and so maybe these options aren't as mechanical as they first appear to be?

And here's a link to Ed Beach's E3 video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88bmqKrbu0

Haven't finished the whole episode but you did well. I enjoyed your appearance.

For the record, the boyfriend likes the Renaissance (spelled it in one go!) best because he can cross the oceans and go explore other continents then. Plus, he feels like he's really stable and settled by then and can go forward with his gameplan.

Call out answered!

____

____

:sad: but..but i'm also a bear!

Oh god, I showed up twice in this episode :cringe: Although I will say that I think you guys misunderstood me. I've played Civ 4 many, many times, but I've only played it "once" since Civ 5 came out.

Allright, a new status symbol for a civfanatic - getting namedropped on Polycast! :)

It has always bugged me that you could not denounce a player. While it has no affect on the player, if you somehow play with the (nonexistent) AI in Civ 5 in MP, your relationship would be affected if you the human was allied with the AI and you denounced the human, would mean the AI would now like you less because of it.
I'm in agreement with you, as I'm certain are my fellow regular co-hosts as regular or recurring Civ MP players... and co-operative players at that, as we engage in combat against the AI and not each other.

You are welcome, and thank you for joining us. :)

Not sure if the actual civic discussion made it into the final recording though
It did.

:D

Call out answered!
Ahhh, that explains it. (There's an obligatory Polynesian reference to go here, I think... ;))

:cool:

To join us lions and tigers, oh my? :mischief:

Oh god, I showed up twice in this episode :cringe:[/i]
All good!

Although I will say that I think you guys misunderstood me. I've played Civ 4 many, many times, but I've only played it "once" since Civ 5 came out.
hehehehe -- only a tease we were with respect to that. (Yea, fun toying with the English language!)

Allright, a new status symbol for a civfanatic - getting namedropped on Polycast! :)
:king:

Following up on the unedited version question, is there a way you could keep the live stream online on YouTube for a little while after the stream has ended? That would be useful if someone starts listening halfway through and wants to rewind to the beginning or pauses the stream (making it a not-quite-live stream). Maybe that's not an option on YouTube, though.

I've been enjoying the parts of the live stream I've heard after I remember you're on, though. :)

Following up on the unedited version question, is there a way you could keep the live stream online on YouTube for a little while after the stream has ended? That would be useful if someone starts listening halfway through and wants to rewind to the beginning or pauses the stream (making it a not-quite-live stream). Maybe that's not an option on YouTube, though.
It is an option that YouTube permits, yes. That said, the end result -- temporary as it would be -- is comparable to what we describe in this episode: a full, publicly accessible unedited recording with the awkward pauses, tangents and background noises that we do not want in the final product. Certainly though, a topic comparison of unedited-vs-edited material is still open to consideration.

I've been enjoying the parts of the live stream I've heard after I remember you're on, though. :)
:)

It is an option that YouTube permits, yes. That said, the end result -- temporary as it would be -- is comparable to what we describe in this episode: a full, publicly accessible unedited recording with the awkward pauses, tangents and background noises that we do not want in the final product. Certainly though, a topic comparison of unedited-vs-edited material is still open to consideration.

Yeah, that's understandable. Although those awkward pauses and background noises are pretty funny. :lol: Maaaybe I'll remember to listen from the start next time.

Yeah, that's understandable. Although those awkward pauses and background noises are pretty funny. :lol:
:D

Maaaybe I'll remember to listen from the start next time.
Hope you'll be able to do so.

Top Bottom