China - Qin Shi Huang Thread

How to know

Chieftain
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTY0OTM0OTgwOA==.html

This is a Chinese website, no English subtitle.

UA of China is some sort of "change of dynasty", increase the bonus of Eureka moment.

UA of Ying Zheng (Qin ShiHuang) is all about the worker/builder, +1 usage, able to speed up wonder production.

UU is Hu Zun Pao, a kind of short range cannon invented in Ming Dynasty, in terms of gameplay, it does not cost strategy resource.

UI is the Great Wall, at the beginning it provide defence and gold bonus, and later on provide Tourism and Culture.

The video says Ying Zheng's agenda would be focus on wonders, but compare to Egypt, he would be much more protective to his territory.

Moderator Action: Here is the US YouTube link:

Link to video.

Personally, I feel like the Great Wall was implemented in a very uninteresting way. They could've done all kinds of things with it, but it's essentially just a tile improvement that provides defense and gold. Not very exciting. I knew Great Wall was the UI, but I was imagining it more like... once you had it all linked up, it would automatically expand on the edges of your culture. And maybe instead of just a boring defensive bonus, it would actually be a physical barrier for enemy forces that needed to be breached (attacked) before they could enter your territory, with a strength that scales with each era.

I dunno, I've liked most of the Civs so far, but I think they could've done more here.

haha is that the source image they used to design him shown in the video? if so that's great

also i like how they're releasing them so you have to really go out of your way to find the videos at least initially

Cool :goodjob:

It's a good thing we finally got China's video. That means the next video will be of somebody completely new to us.

I'm liking the idea of the Great Wall UI and their UU seems interesting.

yeah i like the great wall now. works well with wonder hoarding, short range cannons and extra builds from builders. i guess china is supposed to be tall with bonus to eurekas and not needing to secure resources for its uu

also i like that building animation

China is probably going to be a hard nut to crack especially in the middle-ages/Renaissance.

For once I'm rather interested in China. Their game-play seems exactly what I like doing in Civ.

Predictable reveal, yet interesting regardless. Some random musings about this civ:

- China seems like a bit too much of a one trick ancient wonder pony to me. The Great wall will be eventually finished, and the ancient and classical wonder production will eventually be gone too. Even its UU won't be able to be reflected latter in the game (no promotion to carry over, just lack of resources when building it), and the extra worker charge seems like yet another ability with disminishing returns the further you have advanced into the game

- Its "changing dynasties" UA is the only truthly solid foundation of the civ. It seems like a truthly powerful UA, but I am still not sold on its design. Unlike, say, Egypt's or England's bonuses, it doesn't nudge you to change your gameplay style nor it does synergize with any leader agenda.

In short, China's representation is still interesting, but not as fleshed out as other civs, me thinks.

The Great Wall improvement makes China very unique, especially because most civs won't have UI.

Ok, after watching this video carefully, now I am feeling confident to share my opinion.

The good parts come first. I like the UU, a lot, by all means at least they did use some mythical weapons from the romance of three kingdom (I am looking at you,Chu Ko Nu) nor child labour, but a excitingly brand new unit, with historical accuracy and fancy model. Also, Ying Zheng's UA suit him well, and the animation is much better than I thought.

Then we come to the hilarious part. I wonder how can Firaxis give a "protective" agenda to a warmonger tyrant, and his destruction on the Confucian knowledge is controversial to the science bonus of the "change of dynasty". I did noticed that now to some extent the leaders are separated from their civilization, but please, at least don't make it sound like a joke. A similar problem can be found on Hojo, is it really a good idea to give him a natural disaster as his UA? Well, if he was a wizard who summoned the tsunami, then yes, but he is not, at least we havn't find the prove yet.

Then, the naming of the Chinese UA. I don't know much about Chinese history, but when I am think of come Chinese feature related to science, I know I am looking for "four great invention" or "imperial examination", even "mandate of heaven" can explain the science bonus as the gift from above. "Change of dynasty" is simply against the intuition, in most of the time, as the result of the peasants uprising or natural disaster, or the mongols, it brought out more changes on the government system, ethic proportion and trade, not science or production.

Did they discuss anything about support units; can you stack them with a melee unit?
Also for some reason they gave Gustavus Adolphus' UU for China! :crazyeye:

Top Bottom