First Look: Scythia

Well that was a surprise choice to reveal!

An early military-focused Civ, very reminiscent of Civ 5's Huns. Leader looks great. And she doesn't like surprises... unless she's the one administering them :p

Waiting for someone to post it and then I see three in the same minute!

Interesting decision, can't say I know much about Scythia. Sounds fun, but I doubt I'll play them as I'm not much of a military player.

Am I being forgetful, or is this the first new unique improvement we've seen? Might be completely wrong about that.

They build two units instead of one, when constructing light cavalry or their UU horse archers.
Their UU doesn't require horse resource either. Nice.
I like them already. :)

Can one "Declare War" that's not a "Declare Surprise War"?
So, as to not anger them?

Waiting for someone to post it and then I see three in the same minute!

Interesting decision, can't say I know much about Scythia. Sounds fun, but I doubt I'll play them as I'm not much of a military player.

Am I being forgetful, or is this the first new unique improvement we've seen? Might be completely wrong about that.

Nope, it's the third.

France gets Chateaus, Egypt gets Sphinxes.

But this is the first time they bothered hinting their agendas, I believe Scythia does not like people who declare Surprise Wars.

Chateaus and Sphinxes and Great Walls we've already seen.

Kurgans look pretty good. Horse Archers that don't require a horse resource. weird but terrifying.

Did I understand that right that the player gets 2 horse archers each time they build the unique horse archer unit?

Is it me, or Tomyris has the worst animations of all leaders? Looks like stop motion clay animation. Also, her hand clips through the sword in the begining. I'm not really impressed :(

So definitely confirmed as the spiritual replacement of the Mongols - even if Mongols are later released as DLC, it will be interesting to see what traits they would have, since Scythia seems so Mongol-y.

They posted this article on Steam:

Tomyris assumed leadership of her group of nomadic pastoral tribes in 530 BC upon the death of her husband, the current chieftain. Her exploits were mentioned in the works of several great ancient writers such as Herodotus, Strabo, Polyaenus, Cassiodorus and Jordanes.

The most notable story about Tomyris involves the Persian ruler Cyrus the Great and his efforts to invade and subjugate Tomyris’ people. Cyrus and his troops planted an unattended camp with a healthy supply of wine in Scythian territory. The Scythian army, led by Tomyris’ son, stumbled upon the wine and, unfamiliar with the intoxicating effects of alcohol, drank themselves into a stupor. After, the Persians attacked the incapacitated army and kidnapped Tomyris’ son.

Tomyris, enraged, challenged Cyrus and another battle ensued; however, this time Cyrus and his forces were defeated, suffering a great many casualties including Cyrus himself. After the death of Cyrus, Tomyris had his corpse beheaded and crucified, and shoved his head into a wineskin filled with human blood. During this act, Tomyris is quoted as saying, “I warned you that I would quench your thirst for blood, and so I shall.”

Pardon my French, but that is metal as f***.

I believe their Saka Horse Archers replace Heavy Chariots - since they don't require Horses and the Horsemen are in place.

Also her agenda is fitting --- but wouldn't any civ hate you for surprise declarations of war against them? (or does she hate ANY surprise declarations of war against ANYONE?)

Top Bottom