Rome First Look (Trajan) Video

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator

OHMYGAWD finally

EDIT:
UA: All Roads Lead to Rome - all cities start with trading post, new cities within trading range of your capital start with a road leading to them. Trade routes earn extra gold for trading through trading posts in your own cities.
UU: Legion - stronger and more expensive than swordsman which it replaces, can build forts and roads (limited number of builds, looks like 2). This gives Rome early access to forts.
UI: Baths - replaces aqueduct. Provides amenities and more housing. Unlocked at Engineering.
LUA: Trajans' Column - all cities start with one free building in the city center (most of the time will be Monument which is +2 culture)

Civ Ability: All Roads Lead To Rome: Cities begin with a free trading post, new cities built in the range of a trade route to the capital have a road automatically built to them, trade routes earn extra gold for passing through Trading Posts.

Leader Ability: Trajan's Column: All cities begin with a free building in their city center (usually, this is a Monument).

Unique Unit: Legion: Stronger than regular swordsmen (+5 combat strength), and it can build forts and roads (limited number of charges)

Unique District: Bath: Provides extra housing and amenities

Sounds fun to play. Automatic roads are interesting - no idea how powerful that is. Regardless Rome seems to be a great civ for expanding.

So far they've done a good job at making most of the civs feel more unique.

Those mysterious trading posts again. :D Looks like infrastructure heavy Rome. I like it. Maybe I'll play them first.

So basically, Rome is an all out wide empire with its bonus ! (Dang it, I was really hoping for Sumeria this time ! Maybe next time ...)

Looks like a lot of snowballing bonuses. If Rome manages to expand quickly early (specially player-led Rome), I think it'll really spiral out of control by midgame. So far, Rome probably wins the kill-on-sight trophy if you're not playing them yourself.

UA: All Roads Lead to Rome - Cities within trade route range start with roads to capital, all cities start with Trading Post, trade routes earn extra gold from passing through Trading Posts in own cities

UU: Legion - Functions as a Military Engineer (can build Forts and Roads), have limited charges like builders, 40 strength, replaces (and more expensive than) Swordsmen

UI: Baths - gives Amenities and more housing than Aqueduct

LUA: Trajan's Column - All cities start with one free building in city center (usually monument)

Alright... Bath indeed replace Aqueduct.. so why on earth is there an Aqueduct right behind the Bath in the video?

Why is it "Most of the time will be Monument"? I wonder what would be the odd cases.

OHMYGAWD finally

EDIT:
UA: All Roads Lead to Rome - all cities start with trading post, new cities within trading range of your capital start with a road leading to them. Trade routes earn extra gold for trading through trading posts in your own cities.
UU: Legion - stronger and more expensive than swordsman which it replaces, can build forts and roads (limited number of builds, looks like 2). This gives Rome early access to forts.
UI: Baths - replaces aqueduct. Provides amenities and more housing. Unlocked at Engineering.
LUA: Trajans' Column - all cities start with one free building in the city center (most of the time will be Monument which is +2 culture)

The instant road will make it easy to defend a large empire with few military units allowing rome to focus more on expanding. The road will also make settlers reach their destination alot quicker making Rome expand faster as well.

Free building also encourage expansion because how much advantage you get from this ability is simply dependent on how many cities you found.

Legionary are just sligthly stronger then the swordman but give rome a strategic advantage of having early access to military engineer. Fort do not only give a bonus strength but also unit that are on a fort tile also count as being fortified for even more strength. This mean a legionary can instanly become very hard to get rid of thenever it place down a fort.

Forts should allow Rome to control the map as they will likely be very hard to get rid of during the classical age.

Hmm, so not too far away from what people were guessing here.

Sounds like they are as much about building lots of cities as conquering them. The legion only has a very modest +5 str compared to a swordsman. It looks like the free road appears in conquered cities as well, but not the free trade post OR the free building.

It's also just occurred to me that forts might actually be useful for once! Being able to instabuild them means you dont need to worry about chokepoints and where you might want to defend, you can build them on the go as you need them. If you can plonk them down in neutral/enemy territory as well as your own, this could be very useful.

Rome looks all set up to be a sprawling Empire of cities you either found yourself, or take with legions. That seems like a fair representation :p.

Trajan's character model looks great, but his ability is a little unexciting. Don't get me wrong, it's a low-key but useful thing to have your culture buildings up right away from the beginning of the game. It's just unspectacular compared with some others, and not representative of the man's conquering history. Hopefully his agenda will be ruthlessly militaristic.

Legions building forts and roads was expected - but now they are built instantly! This makes Classical Rome really powerful in defence, and if they can be built outside of friendly territory, very strong indeed.

Also, as I suspected, they still get aqueducts built in their bath districts :D

Top Bottom