First Look: Sumeria

Tell ya what. In a fight between leaders, my money is on this guy.

Who else was waiting for 16:00 CET to see the unlikely event of a civ reveal?

I feel like such a civ geek :)

ULA: Bonuses for a joint war.
UU: Warcart early unit

Imagine having to deal with a joint Scythia and Sumeria attack on turn 25...

He certainly looks like 2/3 God! :love:

And there we have a Barbarian Focused bonus, very nice.

That share experience/pillaging with an ally bonus sounds a bit too gimmicky to me.

Ziggurats right out of the gate means Sumeria will be an early science powerhouse too. I guess Gilgamesh is really on 'roids?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/892100986173787555

Unique unit: War-Cart

The constant conflicts between Sumerian city-states helped spread several war innovations throughout the ancient world, one of which being the War-Cart. This cart – a crude woven basket atop four study wooden wheels - was pulled by donkeys and crewed by two warriors wielding battle axes and lances. Even though the War-Cart’s existence has gone undisputed, its purpose has not; some believe it was used in combat, while others believe it was simply used to ferry warriors to the place of battle.

Unique Improvement: Ziggurat

While Egypt was constructing its smooth, sloped pyramids, other ancient peoples such as the Sumerians were constructing a more terraced version of the same structure, called a ziggurat. First evidence of these rectangular stepped towers can be seen as early as 3000 BC. None of these ancient structures have survived to this day, though many are said to have been great in size – the greatest being the one in Babylon dedicated to the god Marduk, which may have inspired the parable of the Tower of Babel from the Book of Genesis.

So finally a second unique which gives science yields and this right from the start! Combined with the barbarian goody huts it screams for early pushes!
Not sure what to think of the UU, looks so lala ...

And early joint wars, hm, dont know, You have to rely quite a bit on your ally which should be in most cases an AI ...

UA - Epic Quest: When you capture a barbarian outpost, you get a tribal village reward.

UU - War Cart: No penalties to fighting Spearmen or other anti-cavalry units. Extra movement if starting on flat terrain. 30 strength.

UI - Ziggurat: Grants science and, if adjacent to a river, culture. Cannot be built on a hill.

LUA - Adventures with Enkidu: When at war with a common foe, they and their allies share pillage rewards and share combat experience gains with the closest allied unit within 5 tiles. No Warmonger penalty when you declare war on anyone at war with your allies. Can levy City-State military forces at 50% cost.

Strange LUA, doesn't do anything for the civ whatsoever, not sure how I feel about that..

Very weird. Not sure if I like it.

Firaxis history department failed hard not recognizing the fact modern historiography pretty much confirmed historicity of Gilgamesh. Secondly, half of Sumerian bonuses being based on the literary mythological work is absurd, as much as military conquest bonuses. I expected some super early tech, food or infrastructure bonuses for the first civilisation in history, not "hero quest conquest yolo" stuff. Especially as Sumeria consisted of city states that weren't waging extensive conquest wars.

Other than that, the civ looks nice (goody hut bonuses from barbarian camps are quite interesting, Ziggurat is cool) but that's not what I expected from Sumeria so I am disappointed in this regard.

Top Bottom