Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - General Discussions

Old Nov 04, 2003, 04:08 AM   #1
Civrules
We the People

Lightbulb What Do You Find Great About C3C (If You Have It)?

Sure there are a lot of additions/changes/fixes to the game. They are ALL great changes to the AI, things like units, and just how the game works now. All this must lead to something. This something is that when you play, and you are sitting there, you move a unit and then something new happens. After that something else happens that you have forgotten about. And then something REALLY cool might happen (like getting a SGL) or something REALLY crappy might happen like a volcano destroying a city that had just one vital recourse that you needed to beat your neighbor with, or the city was just on a strategic spot. And there it is. This is the point. There are just so many things (minor and major) that you totally forget about when you play the game, but when you actually see them (it is virtually impossible not to notice them at some point since there are so many), you realize how great of a game it actually is, especially when something happens that you have forgotten about! Then it is the best! It makes you feel like you are playing a totally different kind of game. These feelings will not stop from the early Ancient times to the late modern times. This was what Conquests is supposed to be like - exciting in all areas. But this is only the SP part. It makes your head spin when you unlock some of the secrets to the Conquests. And sometimes, it might not be the overall big picture that makes the game great for you (as it is for me), it might be just one feature that you really fall in love with...like the Cataphract for instance!
This is just what I think of it.

You will have a blast exploring and getting amazed!!!

Get it, play some, and write down what you think you love about it!

**What's not to love?**
Civilization IV Articles: Civ4 Info Center | Final Preview: Filling in the Gaps (Posted on October 24th) | Hands-On Preview (Posted on October 13th). Pirates! Articles: Exclusive Insider Information Article | Pre-Release Information. CivFanatics Forum Info: General Forum FAQ | Forum Rules | Forum BB Tags.

Stand up for peace. Say no to war. www.occupypeace.us
Civrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 04:36 AM   #2
Xen
Yeah!

well, i like the new units, and wonders

to be honest, the only things I wouldnt like about this x-pack are three things-

A)monotheism being an "advance" over polytheism- the idea is a bit offending to me, but its no big deal I suppose

B)that leads to the other miff I have with the series, that being the datewing system, with "BC", and "AD"-correct me if I'm wrong, but if we're re-making history there is no garauntee that such a dateing system would have developec

C)the Byzantine UU, and the Byzantine leader head

D)some of the new civ choices

but other then that, its all good
Old Nov 04, 2003, 05:15 AM   #3
Chieftess

It was only 6:30am on the east coast of the US when you made that thread! Give stores a chance to get the game first. More than likely, it will be around noon today before people start getting the game.

Core Game:
Javelineer and Armies. Those are my 2 favorite changes. The Jav because it's just a classic unit with charm, and armies because they've been much improved.

Scenarios:
Mespotamia - I've grown to love that scenario, especially as Babylon, since they can grow quickly throughout the Fertile Crescent.

MP:
There've been many exploits taken out, and the overall performence has been tweaked.
How to upload multiple files to a post | File Upload | Paint Shop Pro 3.11 shareware (screenshot util - doesn't expire) | Chieftess' Culture Flip Calc | Don't wind up like this AI! | resource icons file To download a patch: Select "Advanced" from the main menu, and go to "Check for Updates". || My Web Journal (yes, it's a "blog")

Last edited by Chieftess; Nov 04, 2003 at 05:19 AM.
Chieftess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 08:48 AM   #4
Lawnmowerman
Chieftain

Actually, Xen, polytheism is a degredation from the one true monotheistic religion, which existed from the beginning of time. It was only afterwards when men came along and started making things up that we got polytheism. The sun ain't no chairiot of fire riding across the sky. And the dating system is fine. God is gonna come incarnate at some point anyway, and it's always gonna change the course of history of the world, just as it really did.
Lawnmowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 09:10 AM   #5
andvruss
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Chieftess

Core Game:
Javelineer and Armies. Those are my 2 favorite changes. The Jav because it's just a classic unit with charm, and armies because they've been much improved.

What did they change about armies? Are....they....upgradable?
[/]starts biting nails [/]
andvruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 09:42 AM   #6
Pounder
Phaethon was here

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen

B)that leads to the other miff I have with the series, that being the datewing system, with "BC", and "AD"-correct me if I'm wrong, but if we're re-making history there is no garauntee that such a dateing system would have developec

What if you could choose your religion or maybe each Civ was assigned a religion. Then the calendar could vary depending on religion. Maybe even religious Civ advances would determine how the calendar is marked.

If you were Christian the calendar would still start at 4000 BC (BCE- Before Current Era) and end at 2050 AD (CE- Current Era).

If you were some other religion your Civ would still start 6000 years ago but the calender would start at 10 CE and finish at 6050 CE, keeping the same number of turns in the game.

I still prefer the current calendar system because it is familiar and is constant between games, allowing you to measure your progress relative to other games you have previously played.

Last edited by Pounder; Nov 04, 2003 at 09:45 AM.
Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:20 AM   #7
Silverblade
Lord of Vikings

Quote:
Originally posted by andvruss

What did they change about armies? Are....they....upgradable?
[/]starts biting nails [/]
Armies –Increased combat effectiveness (1/6th extra atk, and def I think), greater healing capabilities, pillage w/o move cost, +1 movement, ZOC, Blitz, Radar
Silverblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:29 AM   #8
Tacit_Exit
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverblade
Armies –Increased combat effectiveness (1/6th extra atk, and def I think), greater healing capabilities, pillage w/o move cost, +1 movement, ZOC, Blitz, Radar
But wait; theres more!

If you call in the next 5 minutes you'll get. . .
Tacit_Exit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:31 AM   #9
Grey Fox
Master of Points

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacit_Exit

But wait; theres more!

If you call in the next 5 minutes you'll get. . .
Hehe, btw, it was actually I that posted with Silvers computer there. Not that it matters, just want to make it public, so that Silver doesn't freak out when he sees the post or something

Member of the R i f E team. | Rise from Erebus - R i f E | Blog| Wiki | Forum
Grey Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:33 AM   #10
Patroklos
Deity

I think they included the BC/AD calander...

a) because thats what we use for historical time and any other variation would confuse everyone.

b) it alows you to compare the progress of your civ and your "world" with the real one, which is great in my opinion.

-Pat
Patroklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:44 AM   #11
Padma
the InBond

If you want to discuss the inanities of the BCE/CE dating system vs the inanities of the BC/AD dating system - take it to Off Topic.

For the game, the BC/AD system is well-known to the most players, and provides a common method for comparison.

1st Lieutenant, USAF (Retired)
Registered Linux User #233241
My View Ramblings of a Professional Computer Geek-- My Blogs.
Padma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:45 AM   #12
Jeff_ATARI
Atari

BCE vs. BC

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen

Hi Xen,
Yah, I thought about using B.C.E. and C.E. on the packaging when referring to the dates of the Conquests. But BC and AD are used within the game so I kept them for consistency. As much as I'm a fan of B.C.E. and C.E., I believe the vast majority of our target audience understand and recognize BC and AD, and I think Firaxis made the right choice in keeping them.

Happy Launch Day!
Jeff Foley
Atari
Jeff_ATARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 12:00 PM   #13
Emperor Xerxes
Custom User Title? NEVER!

I understand your point Jeff, but wouldn't it be cool if diffeant civs had a 'flavour' time system. Like Euro civs would have BC+AD and Asia would be based on the New Year or Buddism.

But back on topic, I still have to wait ages for the game being in Europe but I am looking forward to the Mayan civ. Its traits and UU look like they shall be formidable.
Emperor Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 12:11 PM   #14
ChrTh
Mmm...tasty!

WAIT, so Armies have *better* pillaging capabilities? Does the AI still not attack them in the early game, or has that been fixed? If not, the pike army will be unstoppable!

-- Tycho, Penny Arcade

I get by with a little help from New France
I get high with a little help from New France
ChrTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 12:42 PM   #15
Civrules
We the People

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrTh
WAIT, so Armies have *better* pillaging capabilities? Does the AI still not attack them in the early game, or has that been fixed? If not, the pike army will be unstoppable!
Yes, armies are much better now, I actually love them!!!!! Actually, there are a few other rather large changes that you don't know about yet (I think) and I am not sure if they have been posted or if they will be...
Civilization IV Articles: Civ4 Info Center | Final Preview: Filling in the Gaps (Posted on October 24th) | Hands-On Preview (Posted on October 13th). Pirates! Articles: Exclusive Insider Information Article | Pre-Release Information. CivFanatics Forum Info: General Forum FAQ | Forum Rules | Forum BB Tags.

Old Nov 04, 2003, 12:45 PM   #16
Civrules
We the People

Quote:
Originally posted by Chieftess
It was only 6:30am on the east coast of the US when you made that thread! Give stores a chance to get the game first. More than likely, it will be around noon today before people start getting the game.

Core Game:

Scenarios:
Mespotamia - I've grown to love that scenario, especially as Babylon, since they can grow quickly throughout the Fertile Crescent.

MP:
There've been many exploits taken out, and the overall performence has been tweaked.
Hehe, actually my favorite unit IS the Javelin Thrower because of the free workers you might be able to get. I cannot wait to hear what other people will say about it too, CT.

Old Nov 04, 2003, 12:48 PM   #17
Ekmek
on steam: ekmek_e

In Sullas review (the link is somewhere around this forum) he talked about Armies having a pillage ability that does NOT cost a point, so they can pillage like three times in a row. Plus they heal faster.
Ekmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 01:59 PM   #18
Emperor Xerxes
Custom User Title? NEVER!

Can you still get workers with the Javelin from barbarians?
Emperor Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2003, 02:34 PM   #19
Xen
Yeah!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawnmowerman
Actually, Xen, polytheism is a degredation from the one true monotheistic religion, which existed from the beginning of time. It was only afterwards when men came along and started making things up that we got polytheism. The sun ain't no chairiot of fire riding across the sky. And the dating system is fine. God is gonna come incarnate at some point anyway, and it's always gonna change the course of history of the world, just as it really did.
have any proof?

in any case, as a practioner of the Roman polytheistic religion I can say even you even have a thought that the stories are taken litterally, you need to go back, and start from squar one in your understanding of religion
Old Nov 04, 2003, 02:37 PM   #20
ChrTh
Mmm...tasty!

@Xen: Which version? Etruscan, Pre-Republic/Early Republic, Hellenic, or Imperial/Cult?

EDIT: One thing, though. Regardless of what one thinks, the fact remains that historically monotheism post-dated polytheism, and that is really what 'advance' means in the Civ context. There are many who think that other 'advances' (Fission, or even Democracy or Fascism, for example) are really steps backwards.

-- Tycho, Penny Arcade

I get by with a little help from New France
I get high with a little help from New France

Last edited by ChrTh; Nov 04, 2003 at 02:48 PM.
ChrTh is offline   Reply With Quote