question: Palace Expansion

soren

The Existentialist
Does anybody know when you get to expand your palace? Do you have to do anything special? Is it when x, y, and z happends?

Hmmm, i never thought about that, i think when u did something important, won a battle, and etc... and u get the upgrade...

Originally posted by alex994
Hmmm, i never thought about that, i think when u did something important, won a battle, and etc... and u get the upgrade...

This was my experience, but this doesn't happen every time, of course. Is it random......? Is it a combination of things?

It probably has to do with your powerrating or some other score.. But I'm only guessing here..

I seem to remember sometimes getting an upgrade when a wonder was built but I may be wrong.

sometimes, but not very often, the expanding palace was offered to me just after i suffered a humuliating defead in a battle or right after some cities went into riot...
this convinced me never guess what the computer is thinking...

Well once, when I destroyed the Persian empire, the citizens offered to expand my palace six times that turn.

Whenever a lot of good stuff happens in one turn, like I build a wonder, or a lot of good city improvements, or there's lots of WLTKD, or I research a technology, I usually get a palace upgrade too - and sometimes I even get more than one.

I have sometimes wondered if it has something to do with approval rating. It seems that whenever it is high, I get a lot of palace-pieces. I am not sure of what the approval rating actually represents, though. I think it doesn't have anything to do with any particular event in the game, but more with the overall performance. You of course would then have a high chance of a palace-piece whenever you do something big that has great effect on the approval rating (through score?). Not sure, though.

I think it's a weighted random occurrance; it does tend to happen more during wars and the like.

I don't pay much attention to it, though.

Palace expansion doesn't have any effect on the game, right?

It seems to be totally random, with just a couple of contributing factors. Sometimes it doesn't happen for ages, and sometimes it'll happen right away. Usually you only get one piece, but I had a really weird game where I got nothing for a whole era then got EIGHT pieces at once!

The whole of civ3 seems to be based on randominity rather than anything else. Take culture, for instance. In one of my games I had managed to get pretty much all of the cultural wonders in the game. Every civ was "in awe of" my culture. And yet, I only took over one city at a time, every 20 or so turns. On another game, I had a pretty low culture (in fact I think I was in the Medieval age, so I hadn't even had the chance to build most of the cultural improvements and wonders)... but on that game, I took over THREE cities culturally in the same turn (and it was a Small map, too!). That was really weird.

Originally posted by Lord Parkin
It seems to be totally random, with just a couple of contributing factors. Sometimes it doesn't happen for ages, and sometimes it'll happen right away. Usually you only get one piece, but I had a really weird game where I got nothing for a whole era then got EIGHT pieces at once!

I know what you mean. I usually get one, or at most two, palace improvements at a time, but every now and then I get a game where I don't get any palace improvements at all until the late game (i.e. the late industrial age or the modern age), then I literally get to build almost the whole palace all at once.

I never move my palace, so I don't know the answer to this, but when you move your palace to a new city, does the palace view screen revert back to that stone hut you start with? I assume not, but you never know.

From my experience: there seem to be trigger events that will cause a chance for palace expansion. When you have a trigger event and you don't get the palace expansion, the number of pieces seem to accumulate.

1. The first time you defeat a barbarian tribe (take out the 25gp hut).
2. The first time you successfully defend a city against barbarians.
3. The first Great Wonder you build (it may be the first you build that suits your civ)
4. Various firsts, i.e. first to get a certain tech, first to get to a certain age, first to build a certain something (building, unit, minor wonder)
5. (Probably) when a GL comes about.
6. (Possibly) when you reach certain cultural or power milestones.

Top Bottom