An *ACTUAL* election for the Seven Wonders of the World...

shirleyrocks

Prince
Here's your chance to vote along with other citizens of Earth for the 'New 7 Wonders of the World' ('new' as opposed to 'modern').

"Much time has passed since the 7 Wonders of the World were last selected. Now on the threshold of the third millennium, our view of the world is characterised by a global consciousness. It is, therefore, an appropriate time to determine the new seven symbols of the most important human accomplishments of the last 2000 years. During the initial phase of the project we have received well over 5.5 million votes from over 200 countries. This global acceptance and the great success expressed in the number of votes received has been overwhelming and has strengthened our belief that we are on the verge of bringing about a meaningful dialogue between the citizens of the world."

It all has a very 'civ' feel, naturally.

http://www.new7wonders.com/

Interesting. Not all my choices were even on the list. Might as well post them here.

In no particular order:

1) The Colosseum
2) The Golden Gate Bridge
3) Angkor Wat
4) The Rideau Canal
5) The Great Wall of China
6) The Leaning Tower of Pisa
7) Hoover Dam

1. The Hanging Garden In Babylon
2. The Great Wall in China
3. The Pyramid in Giza
4. The Colossus in Rhodes
5. Sistine Chapel in Rome
6. The Statue of Liberty in New York
7. Magellan's Expedition

pyramid
great wall
great library
empire state building
Louvres
babel tower
yucatan pyramid

To the last two posters:

The wonder has to still be standing. That was the purpose of this. Plus, you cannot choose the Pyramids as they were part of the original seven.

Tower Bridge
Nelsons Column
Leicester Square
Big Ben
Houses of Parliament
London Eye
Millenium Dome

(!)

Oh and fluffy dice, I've always wondered about those...:D

Sorry for taking the mick, but does this site actually carry any weight?

"Does this site actually carry weight?"

Ofcourse it does!:rolleyes:

You must really like london eh? Dont worry it happens to the best of us.

Anyways im saying we get this on track add last suggestions, narrow list and scrath out no goes.

(My leadership role persona;))

I'm no expert on it, but doesn't the Chunnel spring to anyone's mind?

Pyramids are a must as is the Great Wall

Panama Canal is pretty important too.

Transiberian Railway is pretty impressive too.

I like this kind of votes !:goodjob: :crazyeyes

So here are my choices :

Ancient World (until 500AD) :

1) Great Pyramids in Giza
2) Tower of Babel in Babylone (if it isn't a legend)
3) Hanging Gardens in Babylone (if they ever existed as well)
4) Acropolis in Athens
5) Labyrith and Palace of Knossos
6) Collosus in Rhodes
7) Colloseum in Rome

also worth including : Temple of Zeus in Olympia, Pharos at Alexandria, Temple of Artemis in Ephesus, Mausoleum in Halicarnasus, Palatina in Rome (and all the city), the Great Libraries (Thebes, Nineveh, Alexandria), Temple in Jerusalem,...

Medieval World (500-1400AD)

1) Great Mosques (Cordoba, Istanbul, etc.)
2) Aztec and Mayan temples
3) Great Cathedrals (any, as they are numerous : Chartres, Rheims, Bourges, Paris, Cologne, etc.)
4) Great medieval castles (Carcassone, Tower of London, many in Germany...)
5) Buddhist sculpures, such as the Daibutsu (Great Bronze Buddha) in Kamakura (Japan) or Borrobudur (Java, Indonesia)
6) City of Angkor (Cambodia)
7) Hindu temples in India, such as in Madurai (Tamil Nadu), Thiruvalampaturam (TN), Chariot Temple of Konark (Orissa)...

Renaissance and Modern Times (about 1400-1750)

1) Italian Cities : Rome (including Vaticano), Venice, Florence, Pisa, Verona, Milano...
2) Great Wall of China
3) Taj Mahal and Red Fort in Agra, India
4) Great Mosques in Medina and Mecca
5) Kremlin in Moscow
6) Amsterdam
7) Great French chateaux and palaces (Chambord, Versailles, Louvres...)

And also : Praha, Sevilla, Brugge, ...

Revolutions and Contemporary World (after 1750)

1) New York City : Statue of Liberty, Empire State B., WTC (lost!)...
2) White House in Washington
3) Sagrada Familia in Barcelona
4) Royal Palace, Wat Prah Kaew and others temples in Bangkok
5) modern Hong Kong
6) Hollywood
7) Disneyland (any)

And : Neuschwanstein Castle (Bavaria, Germany), Sintra Castle (Portugal), Warwick Castle (UK), St Petersburg, Mount Rushmore, Las Vegas...

Out of Time

1) Jerusalem
2) Varanasi, India
3) Paris (Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Invalides, Notre-Dame, Versailes, Champs Elysees...)
4) Peking/Beijing (Forbidden city...)
5) London (Parliament, Big Ben, British Museum, City and Tower and London, Piccadilly, Shakespear Theater...)
6) Salamanca, Spain
7) Oxford

Any other ideas ?

Ancient World:

Pyramids of Giza
Colossus of Rhodos
Great Wall of China
Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Lighthouse of Pharos
Zeus Statue
Minos' Palace (= labyrinth!)

Medieval:

Krak de Chevaliers
Chichen Iza
Cathedral of Chartres
Sistine Chappel in Rome
Alhambra in Granada
Machu Pichu
Dome of the Rock

Late medieval - New Time - Modern Time

Tâdj-Mahal
Himedji Castle
Versailles
Pavilion of Brighton
Houses of Parliament in Brighton
Neuschwanstein
Statue of Liberty
Sagrada Familia
Empire State Building
Amsterdam (1. (still) great trade city, especially 1575-1750 2. because I live there 3. because Julien had it as well :d)

In real life (ie. outside in the sun)

1. Great Wall - Absolutely massive, superb engineering and planning.
2. Hanging Gardens of Babylon
3. Channel Tunnel - Sheer engineering and workmanship.
4. The Great Library
5. The Pyramids
6. The Statue of Zeus
7. The entire Constantinople defense complex - 2 layers of massive walls, its own water supply, sea defenses etc.

P.S. I know Constantinople fell to the Ottoman Turks but it was surrendered through error - they saw one Ottoman Turk on the inside of the walls, thinking there was more, they surrendered

PSS. Before anyone starts attacking the Crusaders for what they did to the Turks/Arabs, just remember what they did to the Christians within their empire

sorry, but the white house cant be a wonder.....its a copy of a smaller building in germany, woerlitzer park

my suggestion for a modern wonder: space station MIR

I am so amazed to see how many people choose the hanging gardens or the great library as wonders. Sorry to say that, but you really lack imagination and can't even think of other wonders that actually exist throughout the world. I often see the Pyramids as well. Allright, they are great, but why do you keep citing wonders that were the 7 original ones or mainly others that were in Civ games (Great Wall, St Peter of Rome, etc).

What's more nobody knows how were the Hanging Gardens as no trace has been left, and archeologists/historians are not even sure they actually existed. It was not very clever of you to claim it in YOUR actual 7 wonders. The OP, shirleyrocks, also ask to think of modern wonders or some still standing today.

No need to say again the 7 original wonders, ie : Temple of Zeus in Olympia, Pharos at Alexandria, Temple of Artemis in Ephesus, Mausoleum in Halicarnasus, the Colossus of Rhodes, the Pyramids of Giza and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Of all 7, only the pyramids are left standing anyway.

Landmarks from around the world can probably be considered as wonders of the world. I would add to my previous list these ones :

- The 2000 year-old Rice Terrace in Banaue, Philippines.
- Mosques and city walls of Timbuktu, Mali
- The Kinkaku-ji temple in Kyoto
- The Palace of the Winds in Jaipur (India)
- The temples and palaces of the valley of Khatmandu (Nepal)

And this is wthout considering Natural Wonders.

I think the World Heritage list of the UNESCO is a kind of new Wonders of the World list. ;)

Most of the wonders I have cited in this thread (other post) are placed where I have actually been (except in the US, Russia, China). I'd like to listen to which wonders you have actually seen by yourself (like the Pyramids, Acropolis, Colloseum, St Peter, etc.). This would be more intersting, as otherwise you just speak in the air, without that it means anything outside your self-imagination (like the Hanging Gardens that nobody has ever seen).

Enjoy !

1. The Internet
2. McDonald's
3. BEER (granted, this is hardly new, but it deserves mentioning) :beer:
4. Area 51
5. Hollywood
6. Graceland
7. Charisma Carpenter :love:

I completely agree with Nishdog, and Good Grief! How come fermentation isn't on the Tech Tree?? Allows a Civ to see the Wine terrain, and the building of the Pub city improvement.

Please, oh Please someone do a Mod Pack for this or I'll have to find out how to do it myself!

:D

Originally posted by Julien
I am so amazed to see how many people choose the hanging gardens or the great library as wonders. Sorry to say that, but you really lack imagination and can't even think of other wonders that actually exist throughout the world. I often see the Pyramids as well. Allright, they are great, but why do you keep citing wonders that were the 7 original ones or mainly others that were in Civ games (Great Wall, St Peter of Rome, etc).
It's clear why the Great Wall and the Pyramids continuously come up on such lists - They are absolutely amazing engineering undertakings, accomplished by civs with a knowledge not even remotely as advanced as ours. And to top it off (I've not seen the GW in person :(), the pyramids are actually amazing even by modern engineering standards. The limestone facing is mostly gone, but even the stone base is unbelievably straight. I'd bet even truer an edge than the sides of your favorite modern building. It's really mind-boggling how well constructed they are, even 5500+ years later. Ancient reports indicate that the lost facing was glass smooth, something I don't doubt for a moment. Not only the construction, but the alignment of everything on the Giza complex is highly structured and mathematical. Considering the age and technology of the time, I think they blow away most modern "wonders." That's why they still make the list!

Others have posted ideas I like, such as the Alhambra, the Taj Mahal, and other fine buildings. However, the leaning tower of Pisa is a lovely mishap, not a wonder. The only wonder at Pisa is the unending river of tourists who pose in front of it, pretending to hold it upright, smiling for the picture as if they were the first to come up with the photo idea. :rolleyes:

How about Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument? That's some impressive stone work, friends.

Julien, isn't the temple of Artemis still partially intact?

Crazy horse is damn impressive. Dwarfs Rushmore. Been a while since I've been there. What is the most current estimate of when it will be done?

Top Bottom