odd scenario idea - medieval papacy

dugfromthearth

Warlord
I don't know if this would work or be any fun, just thought of the idea.

A scenario where the player is the Papacy. You control a bit of Italy. You are a permanent ally of the other European civilizations - which are not allies of each other (if that can be done, if not the whole thing falls apart). You have a bunch of strategic resources "papal blessing" or some such that can be used to generate crusader or units or the like, and a bunch of luxuries (several different ones so you can give multiple to a country) also "papal blessing" or the like.

The scenario could either be just Europe and you have to use your influence there, or have the muslim countries of North Africa as well and you have to lead the fight against them - you having not so many resources and relying upon your influence.

I'm guessing there just isn't enough you can do to influence other civs to make it work.

this sounds like a cool idea, you'd just have to give the pope a large amount of units and a wonder that would make their influence of countries absolute.

Plotinus said:
Sounds interesting, but why would the Papacy be permanently allied to everyone? In the Middle Ages, other powers frequently declared war on the Pope.

Actually the only ones that had moved war to Pope were Germany, as Holy roman empire and France (remember Avignone by Philippe le beau).

A good idea is to insert the cumclave as diplomacy victory. Remember to edit the script to have the best pop message:
Election

Extra omnes:

all cardinals go to their seat: vote for your preferred cardinal

and for victory:

Habemus papam!

Rufus T. Firefly said:
Actually the only ones that had moved war to Pope were Germany, as Holy roman empire and France (remember Avignone by Philippe le beau).

Well, the Normans were known to sack Rome on more than one occasion in the early Middle Ages. Have a look at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=94467 for an example of rather disastrous Papal meddling in European politics in this period.

Of course, it depends what period this scenario would be set - I was assuming the Middle Ages, but it might be interesting in modern times. A scenario purely about diplomacy - could it be done?

Top Bottom