List of AI Stupidities

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
If you would like to contribute ideas to the <a href="http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2ai.shtml">List of AI Stupidities</a>, please post them below. I will consider adding them to the List. Thanks!

Why do the AI only build wonders in there capital! you only have to take over one city to get all there wonders

------------------
The people in my cool book
1.Thunderfall
2.Stellar
3.SunTzu
4.Blitz
5.Håkan
6.Warlord56
7.scorch
8.vladmir_illych_lenin

sometimes they dont. the vikings, on deity, had a modern wonder completed in 3 cities the very turn they got it.

1 it is not stupid to build wonders only in your capitol because: a. your capitol can not be incite revolted. its too easy to steal wonders by simply put tax on 80 for a few turns and then buy the wonder city
b. your capitol is mostly in the middle of your empire and therefor the hardest to reach.
c. by building it in 1 city, you can focus your defense easier with little cost

2 you can conquer cities with settlers. if they can conquer it with a diplomat then that is not stupid, but just blanted cheating.

How about those automated settlers and engineers? Who else could spend 600 turns going in a big circle of roads and make your competition complain of invasion when they "accidentally" go too close to their cities?

How about the units that feel it neccesary to go around the world to go two spaces away? If you asked them, they'd blame it on the grid coordinates. They'd rather not cross over the zero line).

------------------
Never again will I eat those orange cashews.
<u>I DON'T LIKE RAW FOOD! </u>
Feel free to criticize my porr speelings.
DO NOT ask me why I'm like this.

When the AI attacks, they never have a full, organized force. If they are in difficult terrain, they don't even consider special units, like partisans, etc.

This is what I have:
Each army has 4 marines, 2 howitzers, and 2 armor.
First I send in my subs to destory their ships, then I bombard their coastal cities with battleships, then I make an amphibeous assault. Then I isolate and conquer each of their cities.

This is what the AI does:
They send in 2 battleships, which get destroyed by my defending submarines.
Send in 2 transports with varied, ineffective soldiers (e.g. riflemen in the forest, vs. my partisans).

They always come in my territory during treaty.

THey build cities that overlap with their radi.

Will not kill diplomat sitting outside their city if no 'attack' units present.

Insist on using riflemen! Hopeless.

they never use the good units to defend there city! they always defend there citys with alpine troops and I have never seen a AI Mobile Infantry and they are the best defenders!

------------------
1.Travin
2.Thunderfall
3.Stellar
4.SunTzu
5.Håkan
6.scorch
7.vladmir_illych_lenin
8.vanilla_converter

yea alpine troops are good but not the way the AI uses them they are supposed to be fast to run in quickly and mess up the enemys land not to be stuck in a city!

------------------
1.Travin
2.Thunderfall
3.Stellar
4.SunTzu
5.Håkan
6.scorch
7.vladmir_illych_lenin
8.vanilla_converter
9.Michspirit99

Here's a couple of my personal faves:

1) Cities too close together! Too much overlap!

2) Failure to locate cities efficiently in relation to local resources. Really annoying when you have to wipe out a perfectly good city just to rebuild it one or two squares away.

------------------
"I would not mind you in my head" said Lews Therin, "if you were not so clearly mad."

My favourite AI stupidity:
Launching slow spaceships ahead of me at the first opportunity which would take a dozen or more years to get there.
They're so easy to overtake! All you do is spend just a bit longer building your own and it gets there in only five years.

A barbarian ship wants to land troops to attack my city. I put two settlers there to block the shoreline. That ship would have waited there forever. I finally moved and let them land so they could kill themselves by attacking my city.

I just love the way that A1 declares war on one of my citties for not giving into stupid threats telling me to give them advances or money, and then attack a city loaded with howitzers and mech infantry with some out-dated phalanx and knights, knowing before hand that I just kicked their rumps the last time they attacked me. They'll only wait a few turns in between the attacks, which you know full well wasn't enough time for them to build up sufficient troops to do any real damage.

1. Why do they have all those units stationed around their cities?

2. Does not build cities near shorelines in the beginning.

3. Uses defense units (phalanx) to engage my knights and musketeers.

4. They only build irrigation on certain terrain, like plains. Sometimes, their city is surrounded by grassland, but they build irrigation on a plain at the edge of the city boudaries.

5. Build's irrigation/road with only 3 or 4 cities! I usually start improving terrain at 10 cities.

This might be a bug rather than a "stupidity". Still, it's much the same to me...

In the latest game I played, an enemy bomber came over on reconnaisance. It ended up, deep in my territory, on the only neutral square for miles around. So to see what it would do, I surrounded it with a bunch of spies. It would have to blunder into a spy if it wanted to move at all.

It stayed there, in mid-air, for over 20 years!! I eventually got fed-up and moved the spies elsewhere, whereupon it flew off. Add it to the list of other unfairnesses (like AI triremes never sink).

Yea the AI planes never run out of fuel!

------------------
1.Travin
2.Thunderfall
3.Stellar
4.SunTzu
5.Håkan
6.scorch
7.vladmir_illych_lenin
8.vanilla_converter
9.Michspirit99

The AI can irrigate squares that are not adjacent to water! The AI can bribe units without using spies/dips! I hate the AI. I Kill the AI.

------------------
"I do not know what weapons WW3 will be fought with, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones."

- A. Einstein.

Stupidities:

The AI usually does not fill transports. I don't know if that's stupid, but I like to wait until mine are full before sending them to the enemy shorelines. In my last game, I was the strongest power by far, and the other civs signed all these pacts to "contain my aggression." I surrounded my entire territory with destroyers and cruisers all three squares apart so I could see everything that came through. I had a military of over 350, and nobody even came close. So the Japanese send a lone transport filled with 2 units up against the strongest power in the world. That's smart. I find that I don't get an interesting war unless I do the attacking. THis was on warlord level though. Maybe it'll get tougher as I play a harder level. I want to try a defensive war once. Maybe I should try playing a scenario and be the underdog, like the Axis in WWII or the south in the Civil War.

About the triremes, maybe we don't know if the enemy ones sank....we usually don't have embassies yet to give us intelligence. So if some ship sinks somewhere far away, we don't know about it. Just a theory. Or maybe the AI is just perfect and never strays from the coastline.

Top Bottom