Elections

Peri

Vote early and vote often
In the recent elections citizens could only stand for one position.
This is the feedback thread.
So... what did you think?

What if the person wins both? He will decide which one to take?

Why should we do that civanator?
Many newbies got elected this term because of this system.
This is something I am very pleased about.

I think that running for one office each election cycle worked out very well, and there was only one uncontested election. Let's keep this system.

I think it went great! Only one non-contested election (two last term), and some excellent debates that were totally lacking from Term 2.

Participation in terms of votes was good. Most offices had three candidates running for each - meaning that even with limited each citizen to one election, a great many citizens ran for election.

Now, for some concrete numbers. In Term 1, traditionally the most active term, 18 unique citizens ran for office. In Term 2, again, 18 unique citizens ran for office. In both of those terms, the candidates were mostly experienced players.

In Term 3, 22 citizens ran for office, with several being new (or at least unfamiliar) to the DG. The debates were lively in some places, giving Fanaticans a good idea as to the goals of each candidate - sorely missed in Term 2.

All in all - a great success! I hope we pass new legislation continuing this process.

-- Ravensfire

I liked it. The thing I liked most was that if voted for someone, I knew my vote would not get wasted when they declined the position for another election they won. It also was easier to pick who to vote for as I didn't have to consider what other races everyone was in. When a candidate runs for more than one office, I have to try to consider who is running in multiple elections, who is likely to win in the other elections, who will cascade, etc, etc. I liked Term 3 elections the way we did them.

I also like candidates to concentrate on one position. It motivates them to try harder. And if you don't win: there is always another election.

Another question: was there ever a discussion on the number of re-elections allowed? Infinite? Should it be limited to not more than 2 or 3 consecutive terms in the same position?

Edit: I have changed my view point. See below Boot's post

Although I think term limits are a good idea they don't tend to be necessary.

I don't see a need for term limits. If the citizens want someone to serve, then why should we restrict that?

Originally posted by tao
Another question: was there ever a discussion on the number of re-elections allowed? Infinite? Should it be limited to not more than 2 or 3 consecutive terms in the same position?
There have been discussions about term limits before, but I don't generally think that they are necessary. It's fairly hard to hold an office for more than 2 or 3 consecutive terms in the first place; the people eventually want change and plus most people wouldn't want to be sitting in the same office for an entire DG and would seek different offices. ;) But overall, a term limit isn't really a bad idea, just not necessary.

Actualy, come to mind. I actualy for the first time did not mind being in a election that was not uncontested. Being restricted made me more agressive in the debates, a thing that I missed since the beguining of DG4.

Indeed. I'm glad you changed your mind :goodjob:

I have asked the court to review the standard we used for the last election regarding how many nominations can be accepted. We can then vote whether or not to make this permanent.

To make things easier, here is the proposal:
Code:
CoS Section J.1.
d.  A citizen is limited to accepting no more than one 
      nomination in any election cycle.
    1.  The Election Office is responsible for contacting 
        citizens that have exceeded the limit.
    2.  Should the citizen not reduce their acceptances to 
        the limit, the Election Office shall interpret the 
        earliest acceptance as the only valid acceptance  
        when creating the election ballots.

Love the idea zorven!