150 diplomatic nightmares

17. You have one tech trading partner on a continent of hostiles. An AP vote forces you to stop trading with him/her. 150 turns later he/she is still brooding and refuses to talk. Now you have no tech trading partner.

18. You have fish. Kublai has marble. You offer Kublai (Friendly) fish for marble. He snorts derisively "You'll have to do better than that!". Next turn Kublai trades marble to Sitting Bull (Annoyed) for fish...:sad:

19. year 3760 BC.
You are now Monty's worst enemy (with 0 of course, I just met him few turns ago) O_O

20) You start isolated. You found and adopt hindu.... and surprisingly the world does not like you
Spoiler :
Small summulae of my diplo status from 1850 to the end of game

Turn 238/500 (1640 AD) [26-Jan-2008 19:26:35]
IBT:
Louis XIV(France) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)
Ragnar(Vikings) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)

Turn 249/500 (1695 AD) [26-Jan-2008 19:44:03]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Louis XIV(France) have signed a peace treaty
Ragnar(Vikings) and Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 277/500 (1814 AD) [26-Jan-2008 23:19:53]
IBT:

Turn 283/500 (1826 AD) [26-Jan-2008 23:39:57]
IBT:
Suryavarman II(Khmer) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)
Frederick(Germany) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)

Turn 285/500 (1830 AD) [26-Jan-2008 23:46:28]

Turn 289/500 (1838 AD) [26-Jan-2008 23:59:48]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Frederick(Germany) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 291/500 (1842 AD) [27-Jan-2008 00:04:52]
IBT:

Turn 292/500 (1844 AD) [27-Jan-2008 00:08:42]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Suryavarman II(Khmer) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 296/500 (1852 AD) [27-Jan-2008 00:24:28]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Ragnar(Vikings) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 325/500 (1905 AD) [27-Jan-2008 01:22:24]
IBT:
Mansa Musa(Mali) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)
Frederick(Germany) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)

Turn 333/500 (1913 AD) [27-Jan-2008 23:02:45]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Frederick(Germany) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 334/500 (1914 AD) [27-Jan-2008 23:07:12]
Mansa Musa(Mali) and Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 336/500 (1916 AD) [27-Jan-2008 23:10:23]
IBT:
Qin Shi Huang(China) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)

Turn 340/500 (1920 AD) [27-Jan-2008 23:37:57]

Turn 346/500 (1926 AD) [27-Jan-2008 23:57:24]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Qin Shi Huang(China) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 376/500 (1956 AD) [28-Jan-2008 00:56:27]
IBT:

Turn 381/500 (1961 AD) [28-Jan-2008 01:08:45]
Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) and Ragnar(Vikings) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 388/500 (1968 AD) [28-Jan-2008 01:56:28]
IBT:

Turn 389/500 (1969 AD) [28-Jan-2008 01:58:14]
IBT:
Mansa Musa(Mali) declares war on Lonely Ramesses(Egypt)

Turn 391/500 (1971 AD) [28-Jan-2008 02:23:59]

Turn 396/500 (1976 AD) [28-Jan-2008 03:01:00]
Qin Shi Huang(China) declares war on Suryavarman II(Khmer)--- my doing
Qin Shi Huang(China) declares war on Mansa Musa(Mali)

u]Turn 399/500 (1979 AD) [28-Jan-2008 03:17:02][/u]
IBT:
Ragnar(Vikings) declares war on Mansa Musa(Mali)
Ragnar(Vikings) declares war on Suryavarman II(Khmer)--Long waited result of a series of briberies and from the exaution of Khmer power ( lots of missiles were launched by Khmer and I managed to destroy almost all of their navy and air force )

Turn 401/500 (1981 AD) [28-Jan-2008 03:29:05]
Mansa Musa(Mali) and Lonely Ramesses(Egypt) have signed a peace treaty

Turn 416/500 (1996 AD) [28-Jan-2008 04:00:56]
IBT:
Qin Shi Huang(China) declares war on Ragnar(Vikings)
Mansa Musa becomes a Vassal State of Qin Shi Huang

Turn 417/500 (1997 AD) [28-Jan-2008 04:02:33]
Suryavarman II(Khmer) and Ragnar(Vikings) have signed a peace treaty -- bribery... didn't wanted that Ragnar was steamrolled... not that I cared.

From here

And that is how I learned that founding a early religion is not a good idea in a lot of situations :D

21) The AI calls resolutions at random in the UN. This time, it launches a space ship, but within the 10 turns before it gets there, it calls a UN victory resolution.

The other AIs vote someone else in as game winner.

This horrible little event happened to me online once, tho i suppose the AI could pull it off if it was more organized:

22. You capture a city, but the Apostolic Palace owner demands that you return the city to its original owner. It's a nice capitol city in the middle of an empire you've almost completely conquered, so you refuse to return it. So the AP demands you return it again, and again, and again, and soon you're so weighed down with "the world considers you a villain!" unhappiness that your empire refuses to work outright and absolutely nothing can be done to save yourself when that AP owner gets rifles a thousand years before you ever will.

Maybe that could all be shortened to say: its a diplomatic nightmare when youre playing a game against someone much better than yourself.

Resolutions are almost always nightmares (unless theyre redundant ones).

23. the whole world hates you because you've nuked them and all of their friends. Of course your victory is assured, but your diplomacy is screwed.

24. You need a strategic resource badly (UU maybe), but another civ has it and they wont trade for it, so youll have to fight their superior military for it, or capture and hold a city that is far away. What a pain.

25. Some random event pops up and tells you you've lost 3 or so diplo points for some reason.

26. The damned AP votes for peace every time you declare war on somebody.

27. "We request your aid in our Crusade against Sitting Bull!" OK, you join in. Next turn your ally declares peace with Sitting Bull. I don't believe there's any diplomatic sense. I constantly see, say, Hammy attacking Liz. AP vote comes up next turn to stop the war against Hammy, and he votes for it?!?

With regards to earlier question, no, I don't think the AI takes diplomacy into account when it chooses a religion. Izzy and I are next to Wilhelm and both Jewish. I trade techs with Wilhelm and ask him to convert as part of the deal. Now his diplo is OK. As soon as he can, he converts back to the religion he founded, which no one else follows. This is one of the big advantages the human has over the AI. This is also a common newbie problem, "I founded this religion and I'm going to stick with it!"

27. "We request your aid in our Crusade against Sitting Bull!" OK, you join in. Next turn your ally declares peace with Sitting Bull. I don't believe there's any diplomatic sense.

This happens quite often. I think what happens is that the AI you attack suddenly decides that discretion is the better part of valour and becomes willing to make peace with the first AI when you attack (facing two enemies at once can be stressful). It's a bit annoying though, because you basically get used as a bargaining chip, get locked into a war you don't want, and you don't even get any shared war diplo with the first guy.

I constantly see, say, Hammy attacking Liz. AP vote comes up next turn to stop the war against Hammy, and he votes for it?!?
This is one of the many ways in which the AP is broken. The UN is the same. An AI will always vote to stop a war against themselves, even if it's a war they just started and they are going to win. You can get them to vote the opposite way about the same war by simply changing the wording so that the vote is for peace with their enemy. Stupid AIs. :lol:

28. The year is 900BC. You sword rush Hannibal after ascertaining that he has no metals. Everything is perfect, the attack cannot fail, and already you are choosing which wallpaper to put up in your new second capital (complete with Great Wall!).

Next turn Hannibal bribes Suleiman and Mao to attack your rear, and trades clams to Catherine for iron (a trade that no AI would ever agree to with a human, by the way). You groan inwardly as your perfect attack turns into a perfect sh*tstorm.

(that wasn't a very good one, but it just happened me and I had to vent somewhere :smug:)

30. Pacal asks you to declare war on Joao, who just happens to be the weakest country and on the other side of the continent. You do, for the diplo points. The huge superpower to your north, and your only connection to the rest of the continent, Ethiopia, is Friendly with you, so you have nothing to worry about. 3 turns later: "Joao has agreed to become a vassal of Zara Yaqob. Zara Yaqob declares war on Pacal. Zara Yaqob declares war on you."

31. All of those "we want you to declare war/stop trading with x country", when you have +5 relations with the said x country.

32. Izzy is right next to you

33. Saladen is on the other side of you

34. Monty is South of you

35. Pascal is North of you

36. All have found a different religion

37. The AP is founded in Spain

38. Me: Ah crap....... Well, better get my axmen going....

(This never happened to me thank God).

39? Monty: "Our pride demands a small gift."

2100 Gold !!

Cat steps on keyboard, hits enter key. Lemon didn't know about autosaves yet, and couldn't catch cat to strangle him. :mad:

Is that worse than "Izzy wore same dress to a party?"

39? Monty: "Our pride demands a small gift."

2100 Gold !!

Cat steps on keyboard, hits enter key. Lemon didn't know about autosaves yet, and couldn't catch cat to strangle him. :mad:

40. You accept a request for a war deal.

Before you even saw the screen prompt. You were clicking on something, then the screen came up, and the game counted your click on something else as an accept of the request (or denial of a request you'd have given into).

41. "You voted against us!". Of course, any bogus penalty that doesn't apply to the AI is probably worse.

30. Pacal asks you to declare war on Joao, who just happens to be the weakest country and on the other side of the continent. You do, for the diplo points. The huge superpower to your north, and your only connection to the rest of the continent, Ethiopia, is Friendly with you, so you have nothing to worry about. 3 turns later: "Joao has agreed to become a vassal of Zara Yaqob. Zara Yaqob declares war on Pacal. Zara Yaqob declares war on you."

If Zara is Friendly to you then you won't be at war with him in this case, right? Your war would just end, unless you have one or more vassals, which may change the complexion of things. Unless I'm mistaken...:confused:

If an civ A peacevassals civ B, with whom you're at war, civ A is automatically at war with you. I doubt the AI checks the diplomatic consequences of taking a peacevassal at all, so that's probably one way a friendly AI can declare on you. But maybe not.

AIs can't take a civ as a peacevassal if it means declaring on someone they like enough.

Of course the game might be lying about friendly status however...and

43. Supa friendly AI has no qualms at all about taking a mutual target as a cap vassal, even though its potential net diplo effect is more drastic than declaring war if taken the other way around...

44. "Hey! You gave a tech to that one civ we've despised for 5000 years! Now we suddenly hate you even more!"

And for the kicker...

45. "...oh, and by the way, I don't believe we've met. Allow me to introduce myself..."

Top Bottom