Historical Victories?

LBaeldeth

Warlord
Er ... was just reading through the Readme/manual for this mod, and I noticed a few ... odd things ... under the Historical Victories. The introduction to the section says "Each Civilization can achieve a “Historical Victory” fulfilling 3 goals that differ from civ to civ and match
their own historical background." Yet some of the goals are distinctly ahistorical.

In particular: Rome: "Lose no cities to barbarians before 1400AD" and "Be first in score by 1500AD"; the Roman Empire was long gone by 1400AD. And they were still gone by 1500AD.

Aztecs: "No European colonies in North American continent by 1900AD"; the United States and Canada (nations built out of "european colonies") were well-established by the 1900's.

Russia: "Lose no cities before 1950AD"; the Nazis alone snapped up a good chunk of western Russia.

Perhaps I'm interpreting the objectives incorrectly, or mayhap some of them are meant to be "What if" scenarios (i.e. the Aztecs one in particular)?

There are also a few apparent typos in the list: Spain has the objective "Make Paris the #1 Cultural city in 1700AD; this would seem to be meant for France, which is just below. Similarly, Mali has "No European colonies in South America by 1600AD", which would make more sense for the Inca (once more just below in the list) to have.

Other than that, the manual/readme is quite informative. The mod sounds like a blast, and I look forward to playing it tomorrow. *Glances at clock* ... later today.

Oh, I do have one question. Is Space Race disabled as a victory condition for this scenario? Please, please let the answer be yes.

I think some of the historical victories aren't necessarily meant to be what they actually did, but what they were trying to do.

But to be honest, I've never seen those victories with Mali and Spain like that. Maybe one of your old versions of it is interfering? Or did you extract it wrong? I suggest downloading the latest version if you haven't done so already, deleting the one you have, and re-extracting.

As for the space race, I'm afraid it might still be there. But don't worry, if you go historical victory you can always win before then.

LBaeldeth said:
There are also a few apparent typos in the list: Spain has the objective "Make Paris the #1 Cultural city in 1700AD; this would seem to be meant for France, which is just below. Similarly, Mali has "No European colonies in South America by 1600AD", which would make more sense for the Inca (once more just below in the list) to have.

Someone has pointed this out before and it is not a typo. You are reading the list wrongly. Those goals are for the next civ on the list and if you look down the whole list they do all match up with the correct 3.

I think the way the civ name is placed in relation to the goals is near the middle goal, not the top goal.

maybe in the new version someone will put some spaces between them....

Good question. Maybe it is a bit too early for that discussion, but start a thread if you want.

Tboy said:
I think some of the historical victories aren't necessarily meant to be what they actually did, but what they were trying to do.
Ah, so it is a "what if". What if the Roman Empire persevered, what if the native populations of North America kept out the European colonists. That's actually very interesting. A "Can you change history?" sort of idea.

That's too bad about the Space Race. I like to take my time, and really hate it when I have to drop everything to rush and beat Asoka to the spaceship.

*EDIT* So after checking on this thread, I actually loaded the mod ...

(1) The Aztec's "No European colonies in North America by 1900AD" appears to actually be an American Historical Victory, which makes loads more sense.

(2) As it's a "Custom Scenario", I get to choose which victory conditions are enabled! *Gleefully disables Space Race*

(3) The Roman Empire is still expected to hold all its cities until 1400AD; Russia until 1950AD.

Top Bottom