Greek Historical Victory

Sovietof17

Warlord
Got a Greek historical victory at 1050 AD after only 3 1/2 hours to play. I think this one is pretty easy. Played at default victory level.

I gave Rome what they wanted [Monarchy] which bought me enough time to prepare some axes in preparation for their legion rush. When they came, I was ready and defended against 3-4 sea invasions and 2 ground invasions. After that things started going downhill for them, while I meanwhile pursued my HV happily. Persia threatened me also, like Rome, but they collapsed too.

However, if you don't give in to Rome's demands, you will almost assuredly lose the game, I found. [I have a policy of almost always refusing every AI demand]

Oh yeah, thanks to the birth in great leaders, I was lightyears ahead in tech beyond everyone. Even when Persia spawned with 5 new techs I caught up with ease...

Athens had Oracle, Colossus, and Great Library, and Hattusas had Parthenon

I would completely agree that achieving Greece's UHV was easier and quicker than any other that I've done. I was a nice change of pace from the more frenetic civs' UHVs, like China and Arabia (though I gave up on completing Arabia's UHVs on time after several tries). And, yep, the great people really helped.

In case anyone needs a tip for Greece: Take all the phalanxes you start with and raze (or keep, but I mostly raze to keep my civ lean and mean) all the barb cities around you. At most they have archers which easily succomb to your phalanxes. Plus, you could promote to anti-archer quickly. Anyway, you get a ton of money from the barb cities and can keep your tech at 100% for a long time.

I think Greek UP is too powerful. Maybe it should only last until the end of the Middle Age and not end of the Renaissance.

By the middle ages, you've already won a HV

Historical Victory.

The greek are fun to play, but I agree that they are too easy. Of course keeping Rome happy is of utmost importance, and once pacified the greek HV can be easy to accomplish.

So I know this thread has been dead for a while, but... I just played this morning. I saved one turn before completing the HV, and it did seem a bit easy. I didn't even find that I needed the great people.

Also, in the game I played... Rome was wimpy! One pathetic invasion attempt that did quite surprise me, and then they got taken over by barbs. Wusses.

But yes, I had quite a good time.

@Rhye: unfortunately, it was quite the old version. (1.38). I hadn't downloaded the new version yet because I was being stupid and didn't realize it had been updated.

In the game I played, the circumnavigation was what seemed too easy. The other goals did require some definite planning. I'll try it again with the most recent version and see how it is.

I've looked in the new version notes and on the startup screen and the Greek UHV looks the same. I know the notes said you changed it but I couldn't figure out what actually changed... what did I miss?

Just finished historical victory with latest version (1.77). I tried a few different strategies and I believe I found one that works every time on the medium difficulty (monarch?). I finished in 1100, and that was even with the mistake of forgetting to micromanage the oracle build to properly get philosophy. (meditation was 1 turn from finishing). Instead I grabbed civil service and cruised from there. (well, despite a massive plague, and losing a couple cities to barbs, one of which I regained).

Tons of fun, incidentally - really makes it feel like more of a struggle than regular civilization, where you can in many ways control and predict what's going to happen.

Amusingly, apparently it was bad for other civilizations to be spawned near me: Egypt, Rome, and Persia all got eaten by the barbs, Rome and Persia possibly b/c they kept trying to attack me.

After you get past the first two goals, however, getting the circumnavigation is easy. In my game, nobody had even gotten to compass by the time I was done circumnavigating. Perhaps a better goal would be something like surviving until 1400 and controlling one holy city (greek orthodox?). Just a thought.

It's now four wonders. It's still pretty easy, though. Especially in Warlords where the Romans are not nearly as big a threat.

Compared to the other early civs, I thought Greece was pretty easy too... It only took two tries to win the UHV. The hardest part of winning, I thought, was getting the Oracle built in time... Beginning as Greece, India (I assume) already has priesthood and goes after the oracle... Capturing the barb city to the Easy, H-something, gives you a early second city to begin abuilding a second wonder... The free victories against the barbs at the beginning make this easy. (I captured the city with one of the starting warriors, at >1% odds and got HUGE promotions for that warrior which later upgraded to a phalanx...) Went to war with Rome, captured a city, Baylon collapsed, aptured some more cities... Never went below "stable..."

As for GP, I had 5 spawn before I hit the UHV. (3 prophets, 2 merchants). Ran 100% science the whole time with a net of 7-12 gold per turn... All in all, I had a good time playing Greece, but it was nothing like the stress of China's or Egypt's (or especially India's) UHV... I forget the year, but it was shortly after England's spawn that I won the game...

Ah, yes. The free victories against the barbs. Be more ambitious than that though. This doesn't work in Warlords because they are independent states instead of barb kingdoms.

In Vanilla, take all three phalanxes, head further east and build yourself an empire. There seem to be pretty consistently three archers in the Jerusalem, one in Babylon and one in Sur. Take 'em all out. Instant CRII :D

There's nothing left but warriors after that. It's just mopping up. There's workers to be had too.

Rhye: I thought you told me the Temple of Artemis was part of the Greek UHV.Untrue?

Top Bottom