2016-17 NHL Regular Season

Synobun

Deity
This thread hasn't been made yet so I figured I'd get it done 15 minutes before puck drop.

My first post in the last thread was: "Strange to see the Anaheim Ducks sucking as badly as the Leafs."

I'm happy to report that this year, I can say it's strange to see the Anaheim Ducks with the same coach and goalie as the old Leafs. :rotfl:

Looking forward to all the Leafs rookies and their development. :)

Auston Matthews is the best thing to happen to the Leafs in over a decade.

4 goals, game's not over yet. First player in NHL history to score that many in their debut. :D

Auston Matthews is looking like he'll move the Leafs firmly from "Joke team that just plays good against us to be annoying" to "Good team that's going to be fun to hate".

Looking forward to it. The Leafs-Habs rivalry is a shadow of its former self, history faded into myth of a rivalry that hasn't been relevant since before I was born. It's high time we get it on the road again :D

I was all optimistic about the Habs this season, then Price had to get sick and start missing right off the bat. I'll get back to o

(Though the team should be much better without Price than it was last year. Yes, yes, Subban, yadda, yadda, yes, but the ridiculous work down on the front end of the Habs more than make up for any claim of Weber being worse than Subban).

For reference, on the front end, the Habs have replaced half their front-line, namely every winger outside the first line - and pretty much all those changes are upgrades, some of them huge (going from Semin to Radulov, for one). And Galchenyuk finally comming into his own and taking up his proper place on the top line moves Plekanec and Desharnais to their proper places in the depth chart - Plekanec was a subpar 1st center, but should be a good 2nd. Desharnais, likewise, except that he may actually qualify as an excellent 3rd line center.

Last edited:
Auston Matthews is looking like he'll move the Leafs firmly from "Joke team that just plays good against us to be annoying" to "Good team that's going to be fun to hate".

Looking forward to it. The Leafs-Habs rivalry is a shadow of its former self, history faded into myth of a rivalry that hasn't been relevant since before I was born. It's high time we get it on the road again :D

I was all optimistic about the Habs this season, then Price had to get sick and start missing right off the bat. I'll get back to o

(Though the team should be much better without Price than it was last year. Yes, yes, Subban, yadda, yadda, yes, but the ridiculous work down on the front end of the Habs more than make up for any claim of Weber being worse than Subban).

In Leafs fashion, they still managed to lose even with Matthews setting records. Although I blame that on Marincin and Andersen. They were bad.

I'm also looking forward to rivalries being rivalries again. Tense games are the best to watch.

Yes, apparently the Leafs still have a little bit of their Maple Laffs essence left in them :D

Is it just me, or is this season noticeably more... exciting than the last couple? Maybe I'm biased as a reinvigorated Leafs fan but it seems like there's more highlight-reel or cross-league stuff going on this time around.

The Leafs losing after their star #1 draft pick scores 4 goals on his debut and then losing another game after being up 4-0, all in the same week, is just such a Maple Leafs thing to do.

It's dawning on me that the Leafs might actually make it this year into the playoffs. But then it annoys me because they could be near the top of the league right now if they hadn't have had those colossal collapses at the beginning of the season.

Sucks about Laine's concussion. The debate between he and Matthews was stupid but I did enjoy the neck and neck competitiveness stat-wise between them.

Crosby is good at hockey. Who knew?

Tampa Bay is having a season that puts their uptick of popularity the last couple years at risk.

Bruins appoint Bruce Cassidy, I wasn't happy to see Claude Julien go. Meant a lot for the club. But can't deny the Bruins have been reinvigorated. Of course it all depends whether this is a persistent thrend. We'll see after the break.

And today I found out Claude Julien will replace Terrien as coach for the rival team. I'm happy he'll continue his career, but it leaves me with a conundrum. I wish Claude all the best in the world, but the Habs ... that's a different matter :D

Bruins appoint Bruce Cassidy, I wasn't happy to see Claude Julien go. Meant a lot for the club. But can't deny the Bruins have been reinvigorated. Of course it all depends whether this is a persistent thrend. We'll see after the break.

And today I found out Claude Julien will replace Terrien as coach for the rival team. I'm happy he'll continue his career, but it leaves me with a conundrum. I wish Claude all the best in the world, but the Habs ... that's a different matter :D

"Happy Valentine's Day, Therrien! Pack your bags and get out." :mischief:

The really funny part is that this is the *second* time Julien replaces Therrien as Habs coach.

The puck of time turns, and coaches come and go, leaving memory that becomes legend...

Despite their atrocious start, it looks like the Leafs will be making it to the playoffs barring any catastrophic collapses. They're ahead in the rebuild and have stayed the course regardless which is wonderful to see.

The trio of Marner, Nylander, and Matthews breaking records left and right has been great as well. Watching the Leafs is fun again.

Top Bottom