A Mod of Ice and Fire

Good to know! Great thanks!

I really am in search for a good Known World map to play on, I don't want to just play Westeros. As a civ player I'm not fan of Pangaea maps. I like involving navies and cross continent play.

I found a decent one on the Steam Workshop but there were practically no hills, mountains or rivers on Essos whatsoever. Talk about a challenging game for both the AI and myself, but I was hoping for a bit more of geographic diversity.

So I am curious about this one's Known World map.

Here is an example of the Known World that I was talking about that includes the continent of Ulthos and the territories east of Qarth:

Will the BNW version ever be fixed? It doesn't work for anyone.

Ok, I found a solution to run this mod (both versions!), so I'll try to explain what I did here:
  • First of all, for the newcomers: there are two versions of the Mod: G&K and BNW, each for one of the expansions of Civ5.
  • You can find the two mods in Steam: (G&K) and (BNW) or...
  • alternatively you can find them in this GDrive folder with a Readme for manual installation (for those with problems and especially for Mac and Linux).
  • Seems the author stopped the development of both. The (BNW) version has issues so another person developed an Unofficial Patch for it, which again you can find in Steam or otherwise in this Mediafire folder.
  • Still, when I tried to load the Mod (on any version, even with patch) it would not work (crash while loading). I'm using the last available version of Civ5 (1.0.3.144) and I'm running Linux. When I managed to load it, I'd have other issues (unable to do anything after "Begin yuor journey" button; starting with Bismark instead of Game of Thrones leaders; just one leader available; not loading appropriate graphics; etc), and I believe I solved them all by now.
  • For the G&K version of the mod, you need to disable "Brave New World" expansion if you have it. You can do that entering Civ5, DLC, disabling it, accept... each time you run the game to play this mod. Another way is moving out the "extension2" folder from the "dlc" folder... disabling BNW completely (you'd need to enable it if you plan to play Civ5 with BNW).
  • For the BNW version of the mod, you must obviously have the BNW expansion enabled. If you don't have any of the two expansions, I'm afraid you cannot play this mod => check (*) in the bottom.
  • The manual install of this mod implies to extract the zip on your MODS folder. In the mod folder inside MODS you will have several subfolders: UI, XML, Art, etc. If you cannot load the mod, rename the "Victories.xml" file (in the subfolder "XML") as "victories.xml" (or just delete it). This file removes the victory conditions that are not suitable for this mod (diplomatic, science victories), but for some reason it makes the mod crash. Deleting/renaming it solves the issue of the mod loading (at least to me). EDIT: see (**).
  • Afterwards the mod would load but would not show correctly the stuff. It seems the mod, at least in Linux (and probably in Mac, dont know in Windows), gives also problems with some file names which the system expects as lowercase and are not. In particular, renaming the files within the subfolder "UI" solves that. That is, not changing the folder names, just the files within the folders (those within UI/InGame, UI/FrontEnd, UI/FrontEnd/GameSetup), so the names are fully lowercase (e.g. LoadScreen.xml => loadscreen.xml and so on). In the case of playing BNW, you need to do the same with the BNW Unofficial Patch UI folder.
  • With those changes, everything works. If you load G&K it works straight away. If you prefer to play with BNW, you should load also the Unofficial Patch and everything works also straight away.
For those of you that are having other issues and this doesn't help, to me it helped a lot to check the logs in the folder "Logs" of Civ5. Logging must be enabled in the configuration files, and I found especially helpful Lua.log which showed what path Civ5 was expecting for the UI files. You can check out the debugging info here: http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Debugging_(Civ5)

(*): Note there is another mod of Game of Thrones for Civ5, which you can find in the Civ Fanatics Downloads: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15729 Check out the comments in that same link to know how to run it (I also encountered issues with that one and published there the instructions).

(**): If you don't want to lose the limitation on the Victory conditions, I found a way to do so (still deleting/renaming the "Victories.xml"). Within the BNW Unofficial Patch (BNWUP), in the file XML/Civilizations/SaveGameFix.xml it shows a "Row" disabling the cultural victory condition. This is basically copying the XML piece of VICTORY_CULTURAL from the BNW official expansion XML, in the file (install-dir)/assets/dlc/expansion2/gameplay/xml/gameinfo/civ5victories.xml and changing the <WinsGame>true<WinsGame> to <WinsGame>false<WinsGame> . You can copy the VICTORY_SPACE_RACE and VICTORY_DIPLOMATIC (and if you want VICTORY_DOMINATION also) XML pieces of their Rows, and change the <WinsGame>true<WinsGame> to <WinsGame>false<WinsGame>... or leave it as true as desired. Restarting the game with this configuration should forbid those victory conditions and would push AI to work for Domination Victory (as I guess it was desired by the mod author(s)). If you are playing G&K and not BNW, then I guess (I didn't try it) you should include the SaveGameFix.xml file from the BNWUP patch (applying the same changes described here), and include the two lines corresponding to that (which you can find in the BNWUP patch .modinfo file) in the G&K .modinfo file. Maybe you can also apply these changes to the original "Victories.xml" straight away (removing its previous contents), and it should also work (I didn't try it).

Can you put a download link for those who don't have Civilization 5 on Steam?

No...

I downloaded the Unofficial Patch.

So i load the MODS

A Mod of Ice and Fire (BNW) v. 1

A Mod of Ice and Fire (BNW) Unofficial Patch v. 5

I head in,Select a map with UP behind it.

Click Load Scenarios and start the game.

I always end up on the load screen before the game crashes.

Can you help me?

I was playing a map of the Known world yesterday. I think we should make Westeros larger more room to build cities. The other continent should be smaller for game purposes.

I updated a map of Westeros but cannot add it into the mod. For that I need the the project file.

I am rebuilding this mod. Also, I have built a larger map of Westeros with a portion of Essos. Does Luir ever come on here the guy that built the mod on Steam?

I am rebuilding this mod. Also, I have built a larger map of Westeros with a portion of Essos. Does Luir ever come on here the guy that built the mod on Steam?
Luir here. I'm working on a brand new ASOIAF mod at the moment. Let me know if you want team up.

Luir here. I'm working on a brand new ASOIAF mod at the moment. Let me know if you want team up.

I have a decent map. Westeros is larger, which would make for bigger battles.

Here is the North. I finished adding all the resources to the map. Now I am going to reduce unhappiness per city to "0", and make the map visible. Then add the map to the mod and play a practice game. After that, I wanted to add the wonders of Essos and Westeros. I can surely work with you on your mod. What I am working on is your mod. The only thing I did was create a larger map of Westeros and add my Essos that I made some months ago.

Spoiler :

Full Map

Spoiler :

Top Bottom