Ability to use Scenario Civs in Standard Games Removed?

A while back, before BNW, when fiddling with mods, I stumbled upon a little oddity. If you checked the option to show DLC mods, all the scenarios would pop into the list, presumably to allow one to use mods within said scenarios. Generally speaking, to actually play the scenario using this, you'd go to Custom Game, select the scenario chosen, and you'd be on your way with the mod in place, typically useful for, say, fiddling with the IGE in one or so.

But I tried a silly thing and started a regular game instead of a custom one, and found that, if a scenario mod is loaded in already, the civilizations from that scenario will be in the list, replacing certain civs (i.e. if you did ItR, the Almohads would replace Arabia and Ayyubids the Songhai). It was kind of a neat way to play as them in a regular game, though often they'd be a bit fiddly since they're balanced for the scenario, not the main game.

However, recently, it appears the ability to do this is absent, as if you load a scenario mod, your only choice is to select a Custom Game. It appears this has to do with the insistence on properly restructuring the game data when changing the game version, a.k.a. the reason it ships you back to the main menu with an older title screen if you try to play an earlier scenario nowadays. If you want to play a vanilla scenario now, your game must be set up to exclude G+K and BNW, even though to my knowledge G+K ran vanilla scenarios fine. Regardless, the inability to do this is a touch unfortunate because I am doing a civ atlas thing in Google Earth that would benefit greatly from the ability to use a scenario civ in a standard game by means of checking the exact city list (the wikias with the city lists, and even the game's own XML often contradict with the true names you found in-game, the latter of which baffles me since...you know, that's the game's actual coding), especially the case in those scenarios where cities are already founded and the city list in the sidebar is all jumbled up with no real pattern to it.

Does anyone know of a workaround? I think I might need to uninstall BNW entirely to work this out, but then, that latter point applies to both the Civil War and Africa scenarios. Or has anyone even tried this sort of thing before?

Top Bottom