Active user overload

Shabbaman

rebuffing the rebels
Just got a message when I was trying to enter the forum, that there were too many active users. Well, on the bright side, CFC is alive and kicking, but on the other side...

Or was this just some erroneous server failure?

First time heard of such a thing. Too many active users? There can never be too many active users. :D

Well, personally had yet to encounter this error msg.

That message is always displayed whenever the forum is down, I've had the same message a few times in the past days but it only lasted for a few minutes and then the forums would load again.

Yesterday and today I've been getting a "database error" thing or something. But it doesn't last too long. Is there something going on?

I have two problems - one with two many active users - the mySQL doesn't seem to like it, which is a little strange. The second is that I just get a time-out page at certain times. I assume that TF et al. know about at least the second one as I've seen it mentioned before.

The forum server has a difficult time handling ~250 simultaneous users. :( We are going to get a new dedicated server (at least 1.7 GHZ, and hopefully 1 gig RAM) next Feb or March to host the site. Hardware is like the only thing limiting the growth of this forum...

Is the number of connction the problems, or the number of elements of the pages being transmitted. If the later, then stuff like avatars, images and signatures can be shut down when the system is overloaded.

Hey, that's good thinking Lefty! I don't know much about these new BBSs, though. Real servers can do things like that, however.

What is the data pipe? Is it a T-1? Or is it a 10baseT to from the server box to something like a T-3? Does CFC have a stand-alone, dedicated server box?

Top Bottom