Age of Discovery II issues

Why is it in Ozzy World 5 of them complete in other Scenario 4 only?

How to find Other Ships? I found difficult to capture cargo of Other Civs when I used Priviteer?

I believe there is one thing that just must to be implemented in any Civ/Col/whatever game: historically correct Earth map. In this case, historically correct map of Western Hemisphere.

We do have several of them, yes, but there are three issues I'd like to ramble about right here.

1 - Positions of Indians. Aztecs in Brazil? Tupi in Canada? I can live with that stuff on random map, but not in Western Hemisphere. It will be so nice to place them, well, in places. Village placement is not important I think, but it will be very nice to roughly put them where they belong to.

2 - Starting positions of Europeans. This is somewhat difficult, at least for several European powers. But in general I believe we may put them in this way:

France - top north (Canada);
England - more to the south (US);
Spain - center (Carribean sea and Main);
Netherlands - further to the south (Suriname);
Portugal - obviously, top south (Brazil).

This still won't fix some very important historical incongruities, such as French Louisiana and Guadeloupe-Martinique; Dutch Curacao and New Amsterdam, Spanish Mexico and English Barbados and Jamaica, for example. But still it would be better than to spawn French to the south of Portuguese.

3 - Expanded Carribean. Historically, Carribean sea region with islands such as Haiti-Espaniola, Cuba, Jamaica, Lesser Antilles was very important place during Colonization of the New World. Unfortunately in this game no one cares about these small patches of land.

Basically I believe that Carribean islands should be artificially enlarged (distortion is not that important) and buffed with unbelievable wealth of natural resources. Like 3 Tobacco and 2 Fishes for Cuban North-West, where Havana should be. It will make Carribean sea the sweetest spot, with many interesting naval action.

Why do I post it here? Because AoDII is basically new "default" Colonization in my opinion. Couldn't care less about Vanilla or some scenario not compatible with AoDII.

And while issue #3 is actually in my power to solve, I have no idea how to fix issues #1 and #2 in proper Scenario format, where you still can select your leader, not only your nation with preselected leader.

If anyone would point me into general direction of some guide describing how to do this, I will definitely volunteer myself into making of the historically-correct and fun map of Western Hemisphere, which I think this game still lacks.

I believe there is one thing that just must to be implemented in any Civ/Col/whatever game: historically correct Earth map. In this case, historically correct map of Western Hemisphere.

We do have several of them, yes, but there are three issues I'd like to ramble about right here.

1 - Positions of Indians. Aztecs in Brazil? Tupi in Canada? I can live with that stuff on random map, but not in Western Hemisphere. It will be so nice to place them, well, in places. Village placement is not important I think, but it will be very nice to roughly put them where they belong to.

2 - Starting positions of Europeans. This is somewhat difficult, at least for several European powers. But in general I believe we may put them in this way:

France - top north (Canada);
England - more to the south (US);
Spain - center (Carribean sea and Main);
Netherlands - further to the south (Suriname);
Portugal - obviously, top south (Brazil).

This still won't fix some very important historical incongruities, such as French Louisiana and Guadeloupe-Martinique; Dutch Curacao and New Amsterdam, Spanish Mexico and English Barbados and Jamaica, for example. But still it would be better than to spawn French to the south of Portuguese.

3 - Expanded Carribean. Historically, Carribean sea region with islands such as Haiti-Espaniola, Cuba, Jamaica, Lesser Antilles was very important place during Colonization of the New World. Unfortunately in this game no one cares about these small patches of land.

Basically I believe that Carribean islands should be artificially enlarged (distortion is not that important) and buffed with unbelievable wealth of natural resources. Like 3 Tobacco and 2 Fishes for Cuban North-West, where Havana should be. It will make Carribean sea the sweetest spot, with many interesting naval action.

Why do I post it here? Because AoDII is basically new "default" Colonization in my opinion. Couldn't care less about Vanilla or some scenario not compatible with AoDII.

And while issue #3 is actually in my power to solve, I have no idea how to fix issues #1 and #2 in proper Scenario format, where you still can select your leader, not only your nation with preselected leader.

If anyone would point me into general direction of some guide describing how to do this, I will definitely volunteer myself into making of the historically-correct and fun map of Western Hemisphere, which I think this game still lacks.

I would be happy to include any scenario created on this basis. :)

Thats gotta be the overall goal for any Mod, bonus points to Dale for a job well done thus far :)

Hey Dale :)

Few issues/notes - not sure if these have been posted before, had a little look but couldn't see anything, so:
1) Boats/Units on docks 'float' above where they should be in Tortuga screen.
2) The quotes dont come in a window, just full screen and not aligned/bordered? properly (a resolution issue? - I'm running 1650x1080 i think)
3) This is from 'vanilla' - the trading screens are totally borked. In fact trading in general is just totally wrong. There's loads to fix if you're so inclined.
4) Speaking of which, could you incorporate JTradeRoutes? It looks pretty ace.
5) There's more, but apu i've forgotten, so will post back later.

Keep up the good work. And contact Firaxis/Take 2 for your Royalties!! :)

Hey Dale :)

Few issues/notes - not sure if these have been posted before, had a little look but couldn't see anything, so:
1) Boats/Units on docks 'float' above where they should be in Tortuga screen.
2) The quotes dont come in a window, just full screen and not aligned/bordered? properly (a resolution issue? - I'm running 1650x1080 i think)

Yeah, resolution is going to play a bit of havoc on those screens till it's worked out. :)

3) This is from 'vanilla' - the trading screens are totally borked. In fact trading in general is just totally wrong. There's loads to fix if you're so inclined.
4) Speaking of which, could you incorporate JTradeRoutes? It looks pretty ace.

It's already included. ;)

Is the mod's folder still called AgeOfDiscoveryII? Have a look in AgeOfDiscoveryII\Assets\Art\Achievements\ where all the graphics should be. If you want to move the graphics, you'll need to rewrite the file locations in Civ4AchieveInfos.xml in the XML\Events\ folder. :)

1) yeah the folder is the same. all i did was copy the ageofdiscoveryii folder in your zip and move it to the mods folder. I check the paths in the xml and everything looks right but it still only shows pink screens :confused:

2) why can pirates attack my ships but i cant attack their's?

3) the carrack is a pink box (no graphic) in the europe screen but no other ships are.

1) yeah the folder is the same. all i did was copy the ageofdiscoveryii folder in your zip and move it to the mods folder. I check the paths in the xml and everything looks right but it still only shows pink screens :confused:

Looks like I gotta work out how to get them into the artdefines properly then, so it'll start at the mod's path and work from there.

2) why can pirates attack my ships but i cant attack their's?

What sort of ship are you attacking with? Remember only a privateer, frigate and SoL/MoW are able to attack.

3) the carrack is a pink box (no graphic) in the europe screen but no other ships are.

Noted, and resolved. There's a zip file attached in an earlier post (the DL thread I think) with the two missing carrack and fluyt pics for Europe screen. :)

Looks like I gotta work out how to get them into the artdefines properly then, so it'll start at the mod's path and work from there.

I eneded up editing the xml to start with the art folder (removing the mod/age../assets/) and it works now

What sort of ship are you attacking with? Remember only a privateer, frigate and SoL/MoW are able to attack.

nevermind, wrong ship.

Noted, and resolved. There's a zip file attached in an earlier post (the DL thread I think) with the two missing carrack and fluyt pics for Europe screen. :)

thx. EDIT: still looking for it. I can get by on a renamed dds in the mean time.

4) New problem I keep getting a crash when i try to clear speciality in the city screen.

4) New problem I keep getting a crash when i try to clear speciality in the city screen.
I read in another thread that this would cause OOS in Multiplayer too, so it probably really broken (From what i gathered the guys were playing AoD2... Hard to get by this kind of Information, when people report bugs :rolleyes:)...

On a sidenote Walter Hawkwood and myself released a Pack of Sailing Ships around christmas. Some of them might be of use here. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=304014 I.e. the Caravel looks more like the real deal than the stock model i think...

That clear specialty bug is fixed for the next version.

Another thing that needs to be fixed, is when you sign a defense pact with a Tribe, and another European declares war on them, it counts as you declaring war on the European, so you get the -3 you declared war negative, and -1 you declared war on our friends, with other europeans and various tribes.. that sucks, makes diplomacy less useful, whilist diplomacy should be an important aspect of the game.

Technically that would be right as your response to the DoW against your native friend is to DoW the Euro who did it. :)

But as you say from a gameplay point of view it's a big handicap in pacts.

Top Bottom