Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities is an ancient era full conversion mod. Play as one of over 100 civilizations from the "Old World" from the dawn of time to the early Middle Ages.

The mod includes a unique tech tree, with many new buildings, units and wonders linked to the ancient world. The civilizations come in themed packs, so you can customise who is in the random mix of opponents, and the themes range from "Enemies of Rome" to "Roman Britain".

Anno Domini incorporates it's own version of various modcomps, including the Community Patch, Piety and Prestige, Rise to Power, Events and Decisions, Mercenaries and Tomatekh's historical religions.

If you wish to immerse yourself into a Civ5 ancient world battle, this is the mod to download and play!

Please note that as Anno Domini uses a custom dll, it will not work on a Mac.

Instructions on how to add Anno Domini to your Mods folder and what to select on the main menu when playing.
1. Delete all other versions and unsubscribe from Steam - this version is incompatible and I don't have the room on Steam to upload it.
2. Download and extract the folder to anywhere on your hard drive.
3. The main Anno Domini Version 27 folder is NOT to be transferred across anywhere; it's the contents you need to transfer.
4. Transfer the folders inside the main download folder into your Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Mods/ folder.
5. Load up Civilization V and click on Mods. You'll see a number of options available now. The ones you HAVE to select are the main Anno Domini and Anno Domini art files. These contain the base game and the required art. You must also select at least one civilization pack.
6. Select as many of the other folders as you like. Each has a number of civilizations in it grouped by type, e.g. Greek civilizations.

Patch for v27

Please find the patch attached to this post.
  • The hemiolia now upgrades to the galley.

Attachments

• Anno Domini Patch.zip
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,750
Last edited:
Thanks to the following people for their help with this mod:

Community Patch team - the mod incorporates a recent version of the CP, which much improved gameplay in the mod
Danmasch - civilizations
Danrell - unit skins
DJS Henniger - civilizations and icons
FramedArchitect - Greatest cities, Reforestation, traits and coding help
Hiram - civilizations
JanBoruta - lots of art and moral support
JFD - Rise to Power, Mercenaries (with Pouakai), Cities in Development plus many civilizations
JTitan - unit skins
LastSword - civilizations
LeeS - help with lua and Scipio's Rome
Light in the East team - civilizations
MoreCivs team - civilizations
Moriboe - civilizations
Nutty - city state leaders and coding help
Sukritact - Events and decisions plus civilizations
TarciscioCM - civilizations
Tomatekh - civilizations and the historical religions mod
TPangolin - Vietnam, icons and moral support
Virigel - maps
WHoward69 - coding help
Wodhann - icons

If I have missed anything or anyone from the credits then I humbly apologise. Please let me know and I'll update the list asap.

Version 27 changelog

Version 27 contains no new content, however, the issues raised in the thread have been investigated and those I've been able to fix, I have done so. Some issues (for example the mercenaries screen not showing when starting in later eras) I've not been able to change - though it does work if you play the mod from the beginning.

The civilopedia has also been updated to correct previous errors. There were fewer than I expected thankfully!

Thank-you also to Thunderfall who has allowed me to upload the mod here. We don't know how long this is for - though it could be a permanent fixture - we're trying new ground here with the new website and having such a large file!

Version 26 changelog

New gameplay elements
  • New era: Anno Superator
  • Claims
  • Epithets
  • Piety
New civilization categories
  • Chinese dynasties
  • Iberia
  • Late Civs II
Civilization pack changes
  • Hannibal's Carthage and Illyria moved to Mediterranean pack
  • Kilwa and Venice moved to Late Civs II pack
  • Moors moved to Iberia pack
  • Song, Tang and Xia moved to Chinese Dynasties pack
New (and returning) civilizations
  • Assyria (Sammuramat)
  • Bactria
  • Burma
  • Castile
  • Frisii
  • Great Moravia
  • Iberians
  • Kanem-Bornu
  • Khmer
  • Lombards
  • Lusitani
  • Medes
  • Mongolia
  • Ostrogoths
  • Poland
  • Rome (Scipio)
  • Sassanids
  • Shang
  • Siam
  • Tartessos
  • Vietnam
  • Visigoths
  • Wessex
Unique ability updates
  • Adminius
  • Aeetes
  • Agamemnon
  • Badvoc
  • Cartimandua
  • Croesus
  • Enrico Dandola
  • Trajan
New technologies
  • Aristocracy
  • Exploration
  • Gunpowder
  • Large weapons
  • Pilgrimage
  • Priesthood
  • Scholasticism
New buildings
  • Altar
  • Bastion
  • Cenotaph
  • Coastal fortress
  • Ecclesiastic court
  • Fayre
  • Ivory carver
  • Jousting grounds
  • Soapmaker
  • Summer palace
  • Trade harbour
  • Wakeman's house
New national wonders
  • Hippocratic Oath
  • National College
  • National Epic
New wonders
  • Chartres Cathedral
  • Churches of Lalibela
  • Florence Cathedral
  • Great Mosque of Aleppo
  • Himeji Castle
  • Kandariya Mahadeva Temple
  • Leaning Tower of Pisa
  • Notre Dame
  • Oxford University
  • St Peter's Basilica
New units
  • Caravel
  • Carrack
  • Chu-Ko-Nu
  • Galleon
  • Landsknecht
  • Pikeman
  • Two-handed swordsman
Updates
  • Amended Delian League effects
  • Amended the tourism icon so that it fitted "Empire points" better
  • Cities in Development elements incorporated into the base files
  • Nabataea updated to Sukritact's Nabataea
  • New leader art for Cartimandua and Gladys
  • Updated Social Policy tree images
  • Updated Wonder Race
Fixes
  • Dido's Carthage issues corrected
  • Explorer's strength corrected
  • Missing beliefs text added
  • Sacred Band (Thebes UU) now has the March promotion

Version 25 changelog
Note: Version 24 was the test version of Anno Domini: Cities in Development in it's own thread, which is now closed

Headline changes
  • Community Patch added to base files and tweaked to work with Anno Domini
  • Cities in Development version added; contains the Colonies, Crimes, Health, Investments, Loyalty and Slavery elements of JFD's mod
  • framedarchitect's Health and Plague and Leugi's slavery mod deleted due to the Cities in Development mod; loved them both, but opted for CID versions as they fit with other CID elements

New civilizations
  • Bohemia
  • Burgundy
  • Chola
  • Epirus
  • Flanders
  • Gupta
  • Harappa
  • Jutes
  • Kilwa
  • Maurya
  • Normans
  • Palmyra
  • Pergamon
  • Scotland

Existing civilizations with trait changes
  • Abbasids
  • Brigantia
  • Caledonii
  • Colchis
  • Coritani
  • Dubonni
  • Rome

New city-states
  • Epidauros
  • Olympia
  • Rodos

New unit
  • Rhodian slinger - extends slinger line

New buildings
  • Cistern
  • Horse mill

New wonder
  • Arch of Trajan

Miscellaneous changes
  • Events now have images to go with them
  • We have reverted back to luxuries appearing on the map when an associated tech is discovered; a couple of pantheon beliefs based on resources appearing later in the game have been deleted
  • English composite bowman has been fixed
  • Some wonder quotes have been updated
  • Some city state leader images have been updated
  • Motte and Bailey castle no longer available to all civilizations
  • Triumphal Arch no longer available to all civilizations
  • Corrected issues with Alhambra and Castles

Policy changes
  • Starting the Health policy tree now provides you with +2 Health in the palace and an extra +1 Health to all wells
  • "Ritual Cleansing" policy now gives +1 Health to all shrines and temples
  • Completing the Health policy tree will allow you to buy Great Doctors with faith from the Anno Domini era onwards

Deletions/changes
  • Scipio's Rome TEMPORARILY deleted - it will be back next build
  • Catalhoyuk TEMPORARILY deleted - planning to bring it back possibly next build
  • Plato's Academy removed (due to Athens update)
  • Athens, Macedon and Sparta are changed to the MoreCivs versions
  • Dacia updated to Damacsch's Burebista
  • New leaderhead art for Gladys of Coritani and Ati of the Punt
  • Pergamon Altar removed from Wonders - now a Pergamon event
  • Ceremonial robes and Religious idols deleted from pantheons (as per resources update above)
  • Novgorod and Venice now moved to new "Late Civilizations" pack
  • Sewers moved to Medicine with amended effects
  • Medieval Heresies added to "Late Civilizations" pack
  • Trajan replaces Julius Caesar as leader of Rome

Looking amazing so far! Nice to see my old Aboriginal icon having a new life with the Hurrians, haha.
Would I be able to borrow your Mitanni UA for my main game Mitanni civ? It's needed a new one to replace the old Anno Domini v1 one for a while.

Looking forward to it! This mod was always the best way to play on region maps.

Looking amazing so far! Nice to see my old Aboriginal icon having a new life with the Hurrians, haha.
Would I be able to borrow your Mitanni UA for my main game Mitanni civ? It's needed a new one to replace the old Anno Domini v1 one for a while.

Looking forward to it! This mod was always the best way to play on region maps.

At last - a comment ;)!! Thanks for the kind words. Of course you can use the Mitanni UA for the Mitanni civ! Here's the coding for it:
Spoiler :
<Traits>
<Row>
<Type>TRAIT_MITANNI_MIGHT</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_MITANNI_MIGHT</Description>
<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_MITANNI_MIGHT_SHORT</ShortDescription>
</Row>
</Traits>
<Trait_FreePromotionUnitCombats>
<Row>
<TraitType>TRAIT_MITANNI_MIGHT</TraitType>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_ARCHER</UnitCombatType>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_FREE_PILLAGE_MOVES</PromotionType>
</Row>
<Row>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_MELEE</UnitCombatType>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_FREE_PILLAGE_MOVES</PromotionType>
</Row>
</Trait_FreePromotionUnitCombats>
<Trait_MaintenanceModifierUnitCombats>
<Row>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_ARCHER</UnitCombatType>
<MaintenanceModifier> -50 </MaintenanceModifier>
</Row>
<Row>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_MELEE</UnitCombatType>
<MaintenanceModifier> -50 </MaintenanceModifier>
</Row>
</Trait_MaintenanceModifierUnitCombats>
<Language_en_US>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_MITANNI_MIGHT_SHORT">
<Text>Mitanni might</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_MITANNI_MIGHT">
<Text>Melee and archery units cost 50% less maintenance and pay no movement cost to pillage.</Text>
</Row>
</Language_en_US>

So what about the rest of you guys? Has the cat got your tongue :mischief:?

Looks fantastic, Rob! You've been working on this a while, but it looks totally worth it, and your long efforts show. Glad to see Tiridates and Genseric getting some more use, too :)

Since you're asking for maps of the Chinese states, does the BNW version expand beyond the "Mediterranean" focus of the GK version?

Yes. The original pre-G&K version did too. In terms of the Chinese states, there will be the Qin and the Han; I'm more than likely putting in the Yamato (early Japanese culture). Already there are the Pyu city-states; these guys can't build settlers, but get one free every time they enter a new era. For India, we have Kamarupa, the Kushan and Maurya. For the record, civs joining Anno Domini for the first time (in addition to some of those already mentioned) include a handful of new British tribes (I aim to do a British map/scenario at some point), the Hurrians, Numidia, Tartessos, Ugarit and the Vandals.

Ugarit will be a single-city civ that play a bit like Venice, but are limited to the number of city-states they can get; other civs that can't build settlers include the Huns - though they can annex cities - so their method of expansion is to take over existing cities rather than build them. I'm looking at either Corinth or Palmyra being a single-city state that can't annex or buy in puppet city-states - but do have a good advantage with the culture game.

I've downloaded your mod but haven't tested it yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Since you have put a lot of focus on City States, might I suggest you look into Gedemon's city state UUs mod. I've incorporated it into my mod, and it is kind of cool to make city states even more unique. I seems to work okay with BNW, at least for me. I had to cut out and alter the code slightly, but I can certainly post a zip file with the important bits if you wish.

I'll be posting my mod in the near future, and you can see it in action then.

I've downloaded your mod but haven't tested it yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Since you have put a lot of focus on City States, might I suggest you look into Gedemon's city state UUs mod. I've incorporated it into my mod, and it is kind of cool to make city states even more unique. I seems to work okay with BNW, at least for me. I had to cut out and alter the code slightly, but I can certainly post a zip file with the important bits if you wish.

I'll be posting my mod in the near future, and you can see it in action then.

Thanks for downloading the mod and hope you enjoy playing it.

I think that it looks great to have unique units for city-states, but I'm not making it a priority as I've already got a huge amount of civilizations each with a unique unit (or two); perhaps I'll look at that though once everything else has been done.

I've been waiting on a BNW version exclusively so I could start up and run a particular idea for a CivV story. Glad to see its on track. Have my final uni exam tomorrow and then lots of free time for a while so I'll make sure to download and see how it plays.

The mod looks great, I'm going to play it together with my own changes, to test my happiness/settler system that will be used in my mod too.

I noticed a text mistake: the description of the Bowmanship tech says it allows a building that gives +15 HP to Archery units. It should be XP instead of HP.

I've been waiting on a BNW version exclusively so I could start up and run a particular idea for a CivV story. Glad to see its on track. Have no final uni exam tomorrow and then lots of free time for a while so I'll make sure to download and see how it plays.

Thanks!

The mod looks great, I'm going to play it together with my own changes, to test my happiness/settler system that will be used in my mod too.

I noticed a text mistake: the description of the Bowmanship tech says it allows a building that gives +15 HP to Archery units. It should be XP instead of HP.

Enjoy. Thanks for the heads up on the text blunder!

Just bear in mind that whilst it's playable and will play out a full game, not all the features have everything modded yet (e.g. the Great Adventures) and there's a freaky situation whereby once you select your first policy branch, the name of the branch appears where you wouldn't expect it (please help me track down how to sort that). It's not game-breaking; a couple of opponents are called "Ceremony" for example (if that's your first policy branch).

Thanks!

Enjoy. Thanks for the heads up on the text blunder!

Just bear in mind that whilst it's playable and will play out a full game, not all the features have everything modded yet (e.g. the Great Adventures) and there's a freaky situation whereby once you select your first policy branch, the name of the branch appears where you wouldn't expect it (please help me track down how to sort that). It's not game-breaking; a couple of opponents are called "Ceremony" for example (if that's your first policy branch).

The policy titles are filled in by the leader and civ names automatically. You need to leave some space for that, though:

Code:
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_RITUAL_TITLE">
	<Text>Ceremony {1_LeaderName} of {2_CivName}</Text>
</Row>

I'm not really sure where Ceremony is supposed to go, but move it around as you please.

Sorry, JFD, but I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength here. Whatever is in the first policy branch field suddenly becomes the name for everyone. If it happened in the normal "epic" game, then Washington, Ramesses et al would simply be called "Tradition" including when you contact them and see their diplomacy screen.

Sorry, JFD, but I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength here. Whatever is in the first policy branch field suddenly becomes the name for everyone. If it happened in the normal "epic" game, then Washington, Ramesses et al would simply be called "Tradition" including when you contact them and see their diplomacy screen.

I believe we are. In PolicyBranchTypes you've changed the Tradition (Ceremony, in your mod) branch title to point to "TXT_KEY_RITUAL_TITLE," with the old Commerce (Tradition, in your mod) branch now pointing to "TXT_KEY_TRADITION_TITLE." The latter corresponds to the text string "{@1: gender feminine?Lady; other?Lord;} {1_PlayerName:textkey} of {2_CivName:textkey}", whilst the former corresponds to just "Ceremony," missing the placeholder for the Player and Civ names, which get filled in automatically. You might have just mistaken what the "Title" tag in PolicyBranchTypes is meant for; it is the text corresponding to the player's policy title (e.g. Lord, Consul, etc.), rather than the title of the policy branch itself.

The reason everyone is being called Ceremony is most likely because everyone is just adopting Ceremony as their main policy branch. In testing it out, I was the only one to receive the Ceremony title on the very first turn, without the AI having been given a chance to choose any policies.

I believe we are. In PolicyBranchTypes you've changed the Tradition (Ceremony, in your mod) branch title to point to "TXT_KEY_RITUAL_TITLE," with the old Commerce (Tradition, in your mod) branch now pointing to "TXT_KEY_TRADITION_TITLE." The latter corresponds to the text string "{@1: gender feminine?Lady; other?Lord;} {1_PlayerName:textkey} of {2_CivName:textkey}", whilst the former corresponds to just "Ceremony," missing the placeholder for the Player and Civ names. You might have just mistaken what the "Title" tag is meant for; it is the text corresponding to the player's policy title (e.g. Lord, Consul, etc.), rather than the title of the policy branch itself.

The reason everyone is being called Ceremony is most likely because everyone is just adopting Ceremony as their main policy branch. In testing it out, I was the only one to receive the Ceremony title on the very first turn, without the AI having been given a chance to choose any policies.

I bow to your greater knowledge :) and thank-you. I'll need to look into that, then. Are you enjoying the mod so far?

As you might probably know yourself, as a modder I often don't get a chance to play the game. Nonetheless, from the effort you've put into it, it is definitely exceptional. A lot of variety and flavour have certainly gone into it; I look forward to when I do get a chance to play it.

Top Bottom