Are Civs with early UUs like Rome and Huns a joke on standard and below speed?

Civs like Rome/Huns bad at standard or faster speeds?

• Yes, they are a bad joke at standard and below. Epic/marathon=good.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • They are not horrible but very mediocre unless you play marathon/epic.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • They are decent at standard and up. But are pretty bad at quick game speeds (under standard).

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • They rock on any game speeds!!

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
UUs aren't the most important aspect of a civ, it's their UA that has the most influence.

Basic units are good enough in all eras.

If you play on small map for quick speed then they are not useless. Just need to time their use well. If you are spending hammers on other things when you could be building UUs and killing competitors then you arnt maximizing their potential.

I think it could be skills that come in here. Any player with skills can achieve Immortal domination victory with any civilization I'm guessing. The only difference is that some civilizations are better for domination than others...

Any militaristic things early are useless immortal/deity.
For emporer, Huns on standard speed can wreck through civs very quickly. You might get an economy problem, but that is not hard to fix over time. Get 2-4 battering rams and 2-4 horse archers, and maybe a warrior as city attack bait. this strat works on levels below immortal. Same works with legions/ballistae, siege towers/comp bows etc.

Rome is so powerful, they are largely overlooked on the boards - considered too easy.

Of course The Huns are powerful on Immortal/Deity.

I don't get many of these replies.

Yep, what jlim said. Even on Immortal it is doable under the right map conditions. No excuse for anything below that. Rome definitely cannot pull it off as easily, but Huns can actually take a neighboring capital with ease before meeting too many other players, meaning no warmonger penalty. If it is a fractal or small continents map... that is like Huns dream condition right there. Take over the landmass with ease right away, then play SimCity from there.

Any militaristic things early are useless immortal/deity.
For emporer, Huns on standard speed can wreck through civs very quickly.

I play immortal now. I get too bored with emperor since i beat it every time.

Is it pointless to play huns on immortal then?

I guess I am limited by what civs to play on immortal, that is one thing that saddens me. :(

Quitting current game now. :mad:

Yep, what jlim said. Even on Immortal it is doable under the right map conditions. No excuse for anything below that. Rome definitely cannot pull it off as easily, but Huns can actually take a neighboring capital with ease before meeting too many other players, meaning no warmonger penalty. If it is a fractal or small continents map... that is like Huns dream condition right there. Take over the landmass with ease right away, then play SimCity from there.

Current game on immortal i got a battering ram from a barbarian hut around turn 15 or so. Found Zulu capital at turn 20 with 2 scouts and battering ram. Easy peasy right?

He was in jungle and hills though.

He had 3-4 warriors and mega army even at this early! I tried attacking and got completley roflstomped by his big turn 20 army lol!

But you say you can own early on immortal and diety as Huns..

Interesting..very interesting..hmmm

The huns are probably the most powerful CIV for early domination actually. The fact that you cannot handle em is your own fault.

Check out this video, you might learn something:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdKgH2Y6J4fN-o8mOSIba2s-Pgom2XCI0

I watched that and none of it works for me.

I put 2 workers by city and they attack my rams killing them, they attack my horse archers who are back 2 hexes killing them, never touch my workers, never target them. I am not sure what game that dude was playing but it is not the same one I play.

But you say you can own early on immortal and diety as Huns..

Interesting..very interesting..hmmm

Seeing what you want to see? I said Emperor and below, with Immortal as a possibility under the right conditions. Protip: Zulu capital surrounded by hills and jungles are not the conditions I was referring to.

Huns are ok for domination.. but when it comes to early uu domination kill upgrades, huns aren't that good anymore because horse archers become knights and usual promotions such as range and logistics no longer work with knights..

I watched that and none of it works for me.

I put 2 workers by city and they attack my rams killing them, they attack my horse archers who are back 2 hexes killing them, never touch my workers, never target them. I am not sure what game that dude was playing but it is not the same one I play.

when using workers to draw the garrison out, your archers have to be outside their range. I thought this is obvious ...

Huns are ok for domination.. but when it comes to early uu domination kill upgrades, huns aren't that good anymore because horse archers become knights and usual promotions such as range and logistics no longer work with knights..

Yeah but you don't need to upgrade them at all. They have a long lifespan, 100 turns+ and should have Range and Logistics by then. And by that time, you should have taken over enough land to win.

I agree which means the huns are really bad hehe

:confused:

Even if you don't go for domination, I wonder how it is bad a free tech, a nearly free republic, and cheaper CB's without Construction ?
Your initial warrior can upgrade to a battering ram with a hut. Even on Immortal or Deity, it's one to some free cities (specially CS).

Top Bottom