Battling Civs on other Continents?

Prozac1964

Warlord
Hi everyone, I've encountered this problem several times and I'm trying to learn how to do it best. Most times I have 2 Civs on my continent, so they are easy to attack simply due to their location. Currently I'm playing Mongolia, Dom Vic, on King and as usual there are 2 other civs next to me.

So unmet players/Civs lie across the ocean, and I've got to take their capital. So do i have to ship all of my military units over the ocean, or is it perhaps a good strategy to just found a city on the other continent and let it produce all the military units to capture the Civ capitals across the ocean?

Ok, thanks for any tips :)

It's going to be hard to produce an entire army from one new expansion city. What I generally try to do if I'm going for domination (and sometimes regardless), is to take a settler over with my initial scouts after I get Astronomy and set out for the other continent(s). If I can find a suitable location on the continent to found a city without upsetting the other Civs there, I will try to do that. It's not so much to produce an army there as it is a beach head, rallying point and place to upgrade units before your launch your invasion. You are going to want to ship over an invasion force. You generally want a Navy to support you anyway. If you are late enough in the game, you can buy an airport in the expansion city and airlift your army. Otherwise, just secure a corridor with your Navy and send units as you can to build up your invasion force. You can start sending whatever you have and then upgrade when you get to the new continent and are ready to launch. You just have to be careful not to tip your hand too much.

Basically what Sooner said. Found a city on the other continent next to the civ you are going to attack first for a place to heal and upgrade your units and transport your army and navy over.

Producing an army just from one newly founded city is implausible as it generally won't have the production to do so, and you will lose out on any promotions that your current units have which is kind of a big deal.

Also be sure to leave a handful of units on your original continent to defend just in case of a counter attack or if barbarians happen.

Sometimes it's unfeasible to found a city on the other continent. Particularly on higher difficulties, but I imagine in all games the civs on the other continent are going to cherry-pick the optimum spots well before you can reasonably get there.

When this is the case, you still need a beachhead as Spooner mentioned. However, rather than settling a garbage tundra city, I'd rather just take one of their cities to establish the beachhead. This can be somewhat tedious, you need to be more thorough with eliminating nearby units so you don't flip-flop every turn and lose your base of operations. But holding that position means winning the game, plus it gives your navy some XP and they can be instrumental in clearing the path for your ground units, and later as diversions.

Sometimes it's unfeasible to found a city on the other continent. Particularly on higher difficulties, but I imagine in all games the civs on the other continent are going to cherry-pick the optimum spots well before you can reasonably get there.

When this is the case, you still need a beachhead as Spooner mentioned. However, rather than settling a garbage tundra city, I'd rather just take one of their cities to establish the beachhead. This can be somewhat tedious, you need to be more thorough with eliminating nearby units so you don't flip-flop every turn and lose your base of operations. But holding that position means winning the game, plus it gives your navy some XP and they can be instrumental in clearing the path for your ground units, and later as diversions.

This is the other option which I intended to mention but did not. If you can get a feel for the diplomacy involved, you can target a weaker Civ that is already running afoul of the others on the continent and gain some diplo by teaming up and using that as an excuse to take a beach head city. Then you can make peace before earning too much warmongering penalty and wait until you have your entire invasion force ready for the real war. Sometimes you will get really lucky while exploring and moving into position and another Civ will actually approach you suggesting the war.

You can also ally CS on other continent and land troops there. It is a little bit more difficult on deity because of number of units CS has covering the land.

But you can't heal/upgrade in CS territory. That is the benefit of having your own city.

Well, you're not gonna have any luck invading a different continent before you get to Navigation. You will need Frigates to assault port cities. Usually it's a good idea to capture and annex a decent port which will be your foothold, while you trek your units across the pond, your home continent should be secured by then and nothing should be a problem.

Top Bottom