Be honest! Who currently still prefers Civ IV?

Some of the comments here have me worried (haven't played it yet), but my fear was that Civ V will be a dumbed down, shallower, "consolised" version of Civ. And it is sounding like this is indeed the case.
You might want to read this playthrough - seeing stuff in action is usually way better than any review.

The vibe I'm getting from the playthrough (and the demo I've played too many times already) is that the game only gives a shallower first impression, because the complexity is not on the surface, but rather hidden away in the interplay between things (example from the playthrough: since economy isn't linked as tightly to science as before, you have to balance out more stuff than before - it just doesn't appear that way, because there are less "knob" so to speak, like the sliders).

Combat and city sieging is also much, much more interesting and deeper than every civ before (where it was: get the biggest stack, launch attack), positioning and tactics are actually crucially important as far as I can tell.

It's probably one of these "easy to begin, but hard to master" games.

Cheers, LT.

And I hate not being able to rename units now that they actually live longer than 2 turns. (unless I just haven't discovered how to do it)
Don't take my word for it, but I recall someone saying that you can rename units once they have received their first promotion.

It's because Civ 5 seems so....different. Would be better to ask this question a month's time when everyone's had a chance to get used to the new features.

I love most of the new concepts, but I'm just having problems getting use to working the whole system: it's second nature with CivIV. I love ranged combat, and I haven't had the chance to wage war yet (I prefer peace, but war looks very interesting). Can't say I prefer CivIV though, it's a bit old hat and it'll take a lot of playing CivV before I get nostalgic :p

So far, Civ V has failed to impress me. Civ IV I liked out of the box, despite its flaws. Civ V has some good ideas but I feel they were poorly implemented. It's just not engaging me.

What? Can you elaborate?

I've been away from some time and haven't had time to read up on Civ 5 very much. I was about to purchase the game with the sole purpose of playing online with some friends.

There is no manual saving(have to rely on the auto saves) in MP, also there are absolutely no animations in MP whatsoever.

Well, having played through the Civ5 demo, I must say I'm still thinking whether to buy it or not.

On my computer Civ4 actually looks better and is much faster than Civ5. Somehow I feel like there is too much clutter on the screen in Civ5 also units are difficult to tell apart. In Civ4 I always played with single unit graphics, so everything was nice and easy to see on the screen. Another thing about the UI that I don't like is that you get notifications when something is built or research is completed and are not taken straight to where the decision has to be made. So lots of extra clicking involved.

I also don't like how slow-paced the game is - it takes ages to build anything. You can't stack workers, so workers are also very slow.

Although I must say that I like the combat engine in Civ5, even though 2-hex ranged attack is something to get used to. I absolutely love the indecisive battles where both units survive.

I can not stand Civ V right now. ICK.

But I don't think I will have a better game than 4 BTS.

Lots of issues, most all are touched on.

I mean this is slow boat to china. Is it me or you can't move your worked tiles. Does the AI decide what squares, hexes, are being worked?

The worst thing is info is HARD to find.

As said in some famous movie series, "I have a bad feeling about this."

I prefer Civ IV still right now. There is a lack of information given to the player in Civ 5 and it makes the game very unenjoyable to have to play it on guess work.

In all honesty, I think what is going to happen unless the game changes tremendously through patches, is that this Civ is going to be the red headed stepchild of the Civ franchise, and that's just a downright shame.

The exact same things were said about Civ 4.

I dunno if you remember, but when Civ 4 was first released, there were no "combat odds" shown at all. I dare you to play a game even now without seeing the combat odds first. That's how "bad" Civ 4 was on release. ;)

Besides tactical combat (which isn't that great either, TBH), the only thing Civ5 offers me as a civ veteran is a more simplified design and streamlined gameplay. If I really wanted those, I would've gone playing CivRev instead...

To move your worked tiles you have to expand the menu that lets you choose your focus, then zoom in a little so you can actually see what you're working. Interface stuff like this is my biggest problem with the game right now, other than the fact that units take forever to build and still drop like flies when you're at war.

I am defiantly after playing the demo. Much prefer cIV. But I'm sure I'll like ciV better once I play it more.

People should go back and play a game of the original Civ4 with no patches.

I can not stand Civ V right now. ICK.

But I don't think I will have a better game than 4 BTS.

Lots of issues, most all are touched on.

I mean this is slow boat to china. Is it me or you can't move your worked tiles. Does the AI decide what squares, hexes, are being worked?

The worst thing is info is HARD to find.

As said in some famous movie series, "I have a bad feeling about this."

You can change worked tiles in the city menu under a '-'sign in the top right corner.

How is info hard to find - what info specifically? I find the UI is much better in greater amounts of information are given to you in a lot better fashion then BTS.

People will always complain... and I'm just amused by the pure fact that most of the people with their negative comments are playing it nonstop nonetheless ;)

just had two demo games 100 turns each - i feel so tired..... The map is cluttered - the UI so unintuitive - I was very sceptic about the game but I've never suspected that playing itself could be so tiresome...

Top Bottom